Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rip32 is offline Registered User

11th Pick thoughts

I think with this pick we will miss out on the likes of Hawk,Greenway and Williams but we probably will be in the perfect place to pick Huff who I think is better than Williams and Greenway maybe not Hawk.Williams has not had a great year and Huff has by far outplayed him this year.We can still upgrade our linebackers by getting someone like aaron harris in the second or third round he is very under rated and could be a stud in the middle,he reminds me of London Fletcher with his stature and playing style either way this will be an exciting offseason and draft,Heres hoping they dont mess it up.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 11th Pick thoughts

I like Huff in the first, but Aaron Harris in the second or third? I agree he's underrated, but I see him as a Day Two guy right now. I don't even think he was invited to the combine. There are a number of other LB prospects I'd rather spend a day one pick on at this point.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I still take DeMeco Ryans. Versatility wise, he presents a lot of options. I dont like a first round pick on a guy who might end up just being a NCB. Carter needs a chance to prove himself and Atogwe won the FS job last night.

I say we improve the LB corps and address the safety position later on. Guys like Roman Harper can be picked up later, and although he plays FS he's more in the build of a SS.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I still take DeMeco Ryans. Versatility wise, he presents a lot of options. I dont like a first round pick on a guy who might end up just being a NCB. Carter needs a chance to prove himself and Atogwe won the FS job last night.

I say we improve the LB corps and address the safety position later on. Guys like Roman Harper can be picked up later, and although he plays FS he's more in the build of a SS.
    First, under my plan, we wouldn't be taking Huff justto be a NCB. We'd be taking him to be a starting SS who comes to the line in nickel formations, at which point Carter comes in to fill the gap at SS. Think Aeneas Williams in 2003 - played safety in base packages but moved up to cover the slot man in pass formations, and Jason Sehorn came in at safety.

But even if that's not how we'd use Huff, he's an upgrade at either CB or S. He'd immediately battle for the NCB as a rookie and then would probably go on to compete for a starting job down the line, and at safety, I would imagine he'd beat out Carter to start at SS next season, should Arch not come back.

Regardless, the reason I think you go DB in round one and then LB in round two is because of the depth of the LB class. The safety class is decent, and the CB class is okay. But you're going to get better players taking a DB in round one and a LB in round two than you would taking a LB in round one and a DB in round two, simply because in the second round, there will still be very good LB prospects around, whereas the DB prospects aren't going to be as good.

Lets all just watch the rose bowl tonight and we will see how Huff and aaron Harris do against that high powered SC offense then we will get an idea of just how good uff is and I think harris will climb some draft boards.Other names to look for the two Griffins,Cedric and Michael playing corner and Safety for Texas.

Nick I totally agree with your plans for Huff.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I think the Rams are making a mistake if they don't pick a D-lineman in the first round. Our corners are good enough to be effective when 1) they are in a defensive scheme they buy in to and 2) the pass rush is good. In the last game, the corners looked as good as they have all season ... because we were pressuring the QB. Little is getting older and Hargrove is at best inconsistent. If you can get DE or a monster DT, it automatically improves every other defensive unit.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    I think the Rams are making a mistake if they don't pick a D-lineman in the first round. Our corners are good enough to be effective when 1) they are in a defensive scheme they buy in to and 2) the pass rush is good. In the last game, the corners looked as good as they have all season ... because we were pressuring the QB. Little is getting older and Hargrove is at best inconsistent. If you can get DE or a monster DT, it automatically improves every other defensive unit.
    Problem is, I don't think you get good value with a DE or DT at the 11th overall pick. Super Mario will be gone. Haloti Ngata will be gone. That leaves Mathias Kiwanuka, whom I'm not a big fan of. If you want DL, grab Ray Edwards, Kamerion Wimbley, or Daryl Tapp later on Day One, I think. Also, word is Rodrique Wright is slipping, so maybe he's available in round two.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If you want DL, grab Ray Edwards, Kamerion Wimbley, or Daryl Tapp later on Day One, I think.
    Tamba Hali made a good showing last night.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Tamba Hali made a good showing last night.
    He's probably gone mid to late first round.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I just dont like drafting a DB. We drafted 3 DBs last season and brought in Ivy. Not to mention that Butler is returning. I think the secondary will be fine. The LB corps is what needs to be improved.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I just dont like drafting a DB. We drafted 3 DBs last season and brought in Ivy. Not to mention that Butler is returning. I think the secondary will be fine. The LB corps is what needs to be improved.
    One, both Travis Fisher and DeJuan Groce will be looking for long-term deals after 2006. I don't think they've done much to deserve big money deals, nor do I feel comfortable penciling in either as a starter in 2006. Two, Ivy is an overachiever who will be 29 this spring and isn't a great NCB. Bartell could potentially be a starter for this team, but is raw and must develop more before he can claim that spot. Butler is very good in coverage but is hesitant in run support.

At safety, Furrey has been a good experiment but probably cannot be counted on as a long-term starter. OJ has shown flashes and could develop into a 2006 starter. Adam Archuleta is clearly not the player he once was, which even then was a one-dimensional line-of-scrimmage player. Jerome Carter has been hot and cold, more cold than hot, and didn't impress as much during the season as he did in camp.

Meanwhile, Michael Huff is an instant starter as a safety on this team (assuming Arch doesn't come back), and could challenge for the CB position. He's a ballhawk who not only has a knack for finding balls in the air, but taking them the distance when he has them. He's a good tackler with excellent football instincts. He is a Thorpe Award winner, and would be an excellent addition to a defense that at times struggles to come up with a big play, which is his specialty.

But if you don't want a DB, then you should be in favor of trading down, because right now, you're probably not getting great value with a LB at 11th overall. Who knows, maybe that changes with workouts in the spring. I like guys like Greenway and Ryans, but as of right now, I don't think I take a LB at 11th overall unless AJ Hawk slips, which he won't.

chiguy is offline Registered User

After watching Huff fly around the field tonight, I'd be content watching him do it for us. My preference is still for an end or tackle, but I wouldn't cry if we had to take Huff.

Ivy is never going to be better than a backup who plays very well on special teams. A valuable player, but not the kind of guy you can count on for regular game minutes.

Did you all see Huff tonight? Enough said

Nick what are your thoughts on Michael Griffin,he has impressed me alot and did the same again last night,what a pick he made.

Griffin will probably be one of the top safety prospects in next year's class.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

watching huff play last night really sealed the deal for most of us. man is he a good tackler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast