Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: 11th Pick thoughts

Still didnt seal the deal for me. Where was he on the 4 rushing TDs?

Nick, I do want to trade down a few spots. What you say about Fisher though, I disagree. I see him having a good year next season as a NCB. He was hurt all season and you could tell that it really hindered him. Ivy is a tough player who is solid in run support. Groce has impressed me. He was penciled in as the starter and had a decent season. I like our secondary and I believe that everything starts up front on defense.

The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Why not Haloti Ngata? Damione Lewis has done absolutely nothing for us since arriving in 2001 and Ryan Pickett didn't show up until this year, not to mention they are both free agents. Also, Jimmy Kennedy has been somewhat of a disappointment. I am still not sold on Huff for some reason, and even though we probably will not get Jimmy Williams, I want him really bad.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81
    and even though we probably will not get Jimmy Williams, I want him really bad.
    Jimmy Williams has been a dissapointment this season
    he did not stand out as a star player and he should not have switched to corner after DeAngelo Williams left,it has just slowed down his progress at safety where he is going to end up at in the NFL

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Still didnt seal the deal for me. Where was he on the 4 rushing TDs?
    So Michael Huff is now a questionable prospect in the high-to-mid first round because the extremely talented and dangerous USC offense scored on Texas' defense? Is USC safety Darnell Bing now a questionable prospect because he and the USC defense allowed Vince Young to have what is arguably one of college football's best individual championship performances? Is Reggie Bush a questionable prospect because of a horrible decision to try and lateral the football early in the game?

Go look back at the highlights, and you'll see Huff making a number of good plays. Yes, he had some errors - he allowed Steve Smith to get behind him on what looked like a WR screen and then got stiffarmed by White on a long run - but those were few and far between, and you don't win the Thorpe Award as the nation's most outstanding defensive back or get named your team's defensive MVP because you're a questionable player.

As for our secondary, Fisher would be an adequate NCB, but again, is going to be looking for a contract after next season and with two years of injuries under his belt isn't the kind of guy I shell out money for. We'll have to disagree about Groce, because I haven't seen a whole lot to be impressed with. I think he makes for adequate depth but isn't a quality starter. Ivy is another good depth player but not someone I'd prefer to see in nickel packages. Bartell could be a future starter, but had a number of moments this season where he looked pretty green. And we don't know how well Butler is going to come back from injury.

Furrey is not a long-term starter and is better suited to be a back-up. Atogwe has shown potential and I expect him to be in the mix as the starting FS in 2006. Archuleta was a one-dimensional player who isn't even as strong in his strong area as he was prior to his injury, and Carter looked better in camp than he did on the field this season. Look at how often Vitt called out our safeties for poor tackling this year. They're supposed to be our last line of defense, and often did not take good angles or could not bring players down.

If you think this unit wouldn't benefit from adding a guy like Huff, well that's your opinion. I would disagree, and I think our poor tackling this season on just about every level would support the view that Huff would be a big upgrade for the secondary. Right now, I think he's the best option at the 11th overall pick when you factor in who is likely to be there. People could rise up and down the board between now and late April, but until that happens, I think you have to go with a guy like Huff at 11th overall. If Huff has a poor workout or is selected earlier, then I think you can take a LB with this pick. But if he's there and hasn't dropped in stock, I think he's the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81
    Why not Haloti Ngata? Damione Lewis has done absolutely nothing for us since arriving in 2001 and Ryan Pickett didn't show up until this year, not to mention they are both free agents. Also, Jimmy Kennedy has been somewhat of a disappointment. I am still not sold on Huff for some reason, and even though we probably will not get Jimmy Williams, I want him really bad.
    If Pickett isn't resigned, the Rams may look at a guy like Ngata, who is an ideal nose tackle. The jury is still out on Kennedy, though he's still under contract and I believe is an adequate starter for the time being.

Jimmy Williams didn't have a great season, and after being ejected from the VA Tech bowl game, has some character concerns in terms of keeping his temper, in my opinion. He's being challenged by Huff as the best defensive back in this draft class. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to taking him. I think he's going to be a safety in this league rather than a corner like many are kind of hoping he'll be. He has potential though to be a great free safety.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

its deangelo hall, deangelo williams is the memphis rb.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I think Nick has done a nice analysis here. I'm not a big fan of drafting a CB, but if you can't get a playmaker on the line -- which we probably can't at the #11 slot -- then a guy like Huff would be a good addition. He's strong enough to play run support, but fast enough not to get embarassed in the passing game.

The guy who wasn't impressive in the Rose Bowl was Rodrique Wright. He lost a lot of money that night.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

Talking about Michael Griffin, what do you guys think about Cedric Griffin?, i was quite surpirsed at his play in the Rose Bowl. Although his play was a little inconsistent at times he was a scrappy kid out there. In my opinion he isn't a complete corner yet, but he is on his way to being a solid addition to any NFL team. Although he isn't as highly regarded as other CB's in the draft i think his 'big hitting' attitude is key in an NFL CB. If you take look at PacMan Jones's play last year you see a CB who wasn't too confident about supporting the run, Griffin strikes me as a kid who is going to come out on that field an lay the wood on some backs. I know that Huff is the is probably the player to take at 11, and not be any means am i suggestting we should take Griffin at that position, but i think watching out for him in later rounds is the least the Rams Front Office can do. This guy has 'steal' written all over him.
    Defence Wins Championships

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Holt your horses,I agree Griffin would be a good addition if we could aquire him in the later rounds if he fell to us but I would not use a first day pick on him,I think if we get Huff we will have enough in the secondary to be quite good back there.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rip32
    Holt your horses,I agree Griffin would be a good addition if we could aquire him in the later rounds if he fell to us but I would not use a first day pick on him,I think if we get Huff we will have enough in the secondary to be quite good back there.
    With the addition of Huff, the Rams secondary would be much improved. Huff, Butler, Bartell/fisher, and Atogwe/Carter should provide sufficient depth at most postions. Its the long term staying power of our corners that concerns me, over the next couple of years some playmakers are going to be needed at that postion...

Defence Wins Championships

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Huff is a stud. Still wish we could trade up for Hawk.
    Man, really liked what I saw with SC's Center. I'm not even going to try and spell his name but, that guy is a friggin bear. Could you imagine him creating holes for Jackson? Wouldnt be anymore short yardage fiascos. What round do you think he will go in?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan
    Man, really liked what I saw with SC's Center. I'm not even going to try and spell his name but, that guy is a friggin bear. Could you imagine him creating holes for Jackson? Wouldnt be anymore short yardage fiascos. What round do you think he will go in?
    I think you're referring to Taitusi Lutui, who is actually a guard. The guy was really dominating the Texas defensive line (which tends to be a bit overrated though) and pulled well, opening up a number of holes for LenDale in the running game. He's really got a huge frame, and would probably have to lose some weight to play in the pros, but he showed the other night that he can move adequately at that size.

I see him as a third round kind of guy, because I'm not convinced he rates above guys like Jean-Gilles and Joseph, and maybe not better than Spencer, Setterstrom, and Allen depending on how things play out. He probably squeeked into the first day with that performance, but I'd look for him somewhere in the third at this point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12