Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: With the 13th pick, St. Louis selects Adam Carriker, DL, Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We sort of need a legit nose tackle before we can even think about the 3-4.
    We need more than just a legit nose tackle to go to a 3-4. I'm OK with this pick. I like the guy's attitude and playing demeanor. I think you'll see this guy get used more inside than on the perimeter until he developes better technique. We'll see what the coaches can do with him. Sorry I can't join you guys in chat, I'm at work and its blocked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams select Adam Carriker
    By Jeff Gordon
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/28/2007

Rams coach Scott Linehan had Nebraska defensive lineman Adam Carriker at the top of his wish list Saturday morning.

Of the players possibly available at No. 13 overall, Carriker appealed to him most. Although Carriker played defensive end for the Cornhuskers, Linehan expects him to play defensive tackle and possibly nose tackle for the Rams.

“I tried to keep this somewhat of a secret; he was the guy I was hoping would be there,” Linehan said. “I thought it was be 50-50 if he would be there. There were two other teams that showed quite a bit of interest in him.”

Carriker confirmed the Rams’ interest. “They told me they would take me at 13 if I was there,” Carriker said. “I couldn’t be more excited or thrilled.”

He is listed at 6-foot-6 and 300 pounds. Carriker noted that he wasn’t a pure pass rushing defensive end or a pure run-stopping interior lineman.

“I can do both things,” he said. “I’m a big, strong guy that can run fast.”

Linehan loves his versatility. “In a crunch, he could probably play every position for us on the defensive line,” he said. “The great thing about Adam is he fills a lot of categories for us.”

The Rams expect Carriker to add another 10 to 15 pounds before training camp. Linehan rates run stopping as his biggest strength.

“He played end (at Nebraska), but he also played inside on third down,” he said. “He played inside in short yardage.”

In contract to Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch, who sometimes coasted during his college career, Carriker is considered a “high-motor” player. Nebraska coaches raved about his work ethic and competitiveness.

“I hate losing,” Carriker said. “I will do anything to win.”
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

“I hate losing,” Carriker said. “I will do anything to win.”
    Thats the attitude we wanted. Although im not sure on him possibly playing NT

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Consider this people. Claude Wroten was supposed to be a first round pick last year. The Rams got him for a steal in the third round. What's been buzzing from some of the sites I've been to, is that we should see some real production out of this guy this coming season. He did show some flashes at the end of the season.

So now you have Leonard Little, James Hall, James Kennedy (who's in a contract year), LaRoi Glover, Claude Wroten, and now Adam Carriker. If that doesn't sound like good depth I don't know what is. Carriker can play in mutiple spots on the D-Line which means he doesn't have to be subbed with the different packages. So now you have a guy who can stuff the run, and get pressure on the QB, in the passing game.

Just My Opinion.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

If we pull of that trade with Carolina, for a second pick Our D-Line will be crazy. Then we can pick a CB in the third, and get our value picks tomorrow.

So based on some of these comments by Linehan, it sounds as if they might be looking at Carriker as a run-plugging defensive tackle first and foremost. Someone who can come in, play with leverage on the inside, and handle the double teams. If they're asking him to pack on the weight, he could be one of those athletic nose tackles z.nrd has been talking about for a few weeks and deserves credit for being right on the money with. A future combo of Carriker and Wroten on the interior? Sounds interesting.

As for the trade for Jenkins, it's dead. Linehan has come out and said as much, and it's unlikely he's trying to blow any smoke at this point.

Country is offline Registered User

I sam not a huge fan of this pick, he is tweener so what position does he play. We should have gone with someone who has a position.

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

The reason Adam didn't have the stats this year was because he was targeted by EVERY offensive coordinator in EVERY game Nebraska played. If nothing else, they took out Carriker and let the chips fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I sam not a huge fan of this pick, he is tweener so what position does he play. We should have gone with someone who has a position.
    I dunno, I have a lot of questions about where he's going to end up, but I don't think his versatility is a negative.

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

It really isn't. He has experience at both slots, so it's not like this is something new.

Expert Analysis on the Carriker Pick:

Vic Carucci
    The Rams absolutely had to get some help for their defensive line. Carriker will bring plenty of talent, but his bigger contribution could very well be his toughness and competitiveness. Those are ingredients the Jim Haslett's defensive scheme desperately needs.

Gil Brandt
    I think the Rams were excited to get Carriker with the 13th pick. Carriker is a very solid football player; he reminds you a lot of Smith -- the defensive end for the Pittsburgh Steelers who has had a long and steady career. Carriker is one of those players that is highly competitive and will do everything he needs to to become better in the NFL.

Pat Kirwan
    He has rare size for the position (6-6). He could have been a fit in a 3-4 but is an excellent selection to play opposite Leonard Little. With the offseason acquisition of James Hall, they now have built a nice four-man rush in passing situations where they can move Carriker inside to tackle. I watched Carriker at the Senior Bowl and he has more pass-rush skills than advertised. He had 20 1/2 sacks in college and 41 tackles for a loss. He's a solid 10-year starter.

Country is offline Registered User

I am warming to the pick if he plays DT then it is worth it in a big way. How nice would it be to move back up into the late 1st and take a flyer on Branch and have to 6'6" monsters in the middle.

I am warming to the pick if he plays DT then it is worth it in a big way. How nice would it be to move back up into the late 1st and take a flyer on Branch and have to 6'6" monsters in the middle.
    I don't see them moving back up to select someone at a position they feel they've already addressed in Carriker.

viper is online now Registered User

That would be great! I was thinking the same thing. What would it cost us?

viper is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't see them moving back up to select someone at a position they feel they've already addressed in Carriker.
    You're probably right, although, if they did get Branch, Carriker could move over to DE. I bet the Rams have at least considered it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast