Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: With the 13th pick, St. Louis selects Adam Carriker, DL, Nebraska

While I'm not ecstatic I like the pick. I hope we'll let him pack on a little weight and then play him in the middle at NT. Sounds like a guy with great leverage and lots of power as well as all the intangibles you could ask for. Seems to me like a better fit in the middle than at DE, if he plays some smashmouth football and improves our horrible run defense just a tad that's all I can ask for. I have to think they selected him to play NT. It doesn't seem like 3-technique is as much a need for us (we already have Glover, Wroten and it's also Kennedy's original and probably best position). Let Carriker plug the middle!

Country is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    While I'm not ecstatic I like the pick. I hope we'll let him pack on a little weight and then play him in the middle at NT. Sounds like a guy with great leverage and lots of power as well as all the intangibles you could ask for. Seems to me like a better fit in the middle than at DE, if he plays some smashmouth football and improves our horrible run defense just a tad that's all I can ask for. I have to think they selected him to play NT. It doesn't seem like 3-technique is as much a need for us (we already have Glover, Wroten and it's also Kennedy's original and probably best position). Let Carriker plug the middle!
    Your dreaming if you think that Carriker will play NT in his first year in the NFL. The man was a DE and moving to DT is not that big of a change, but as we have seen in Kennedy moving to the NT is big switch.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

The more and more I see and read about Carriker I love him more. He doesn't have great speed but outstanding strength. 440lb Bench and 600lb Squat. I love it!

RamsFan16

viper is offline Registered User

Got this off of Rotoworld.

http://rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

"Rams coach Scott Linehan says the team never discussed trading for Panthers' defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.

The Rams appear to be out of the running for Jenkins after choosing DE Adam Carriker in the first round Saturday. In other Rams news, Carriker will play inside at tackle and James Hall will start at right defensive end."

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Carriker gabs
    By Jeff Gordon
    04/28/2007 4:51 pm

Here were some of Adam Carriker’s thoughts about going in the first round to the Rams:

On his versatility: “There are lot of guys in the draft, like Gaines Adams, they are just pass rushers. There are guys that are straight run stoppers. I can do both things. I am a big strong guy that can also run very well. I am pretty fast, I can run a 4.72. I can play defensive end, defensive tackle, or nose, or whatever they want to put me.

“I am very good with my hands, a lot of guys don’t think I can beat them with speed, but I can get you with speed. I can also use my power. I am a strong guy.”

On making an impact next season: “I would love to step in and play right away. That is definitely a goal. I plan on earning that spot, I know it’s not going to be handed to me.

“I want to learn the system. I want to learn the scheme. I want to learn about the coaches because each coach wants something different from the players. I want to learn what they want from me, what they expect from me. I just want to get into the organization. Get to practice and get to play football.”

On his weaknesses: “I need to work on my pad level, because I play a little too high sometimes. I would say playing low is one of the main things.”
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Saturday, April 28, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

For all of the scrutiny involving 40 times, bench presses and vertical jumps, it was one conversation that officially convinced Scott Linehan that Adam Carriker was the guy he wanted for the Rams with the 13th pick in the first round of today’s NFL draft..

When Linehan, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and Vice President of Player Personnel Tony Softli watched as Carriker put on a show during his workout at Nebraska, they were undoubtedly impressed. But it didn’t mean that Carriker was their guy.

That was decided not much later. During a conversation with defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, Linehan learned about just the type of player the Rams would be getting with Carriker.

Cosgrove and some of his fellow coaches told Linehan that Carriker is everything the Rams need in a player.

“He has been playing at a high level his whole career there,” Linehan said. “The defensive coordinator, secondary coach, spending that time and listening to them explain what they think this player can do for you helps and both of those gentlemen, to a man, said this is the best kid they have ever been around but also has great ability.”

Instantly, Carriker will be installed at defensive tackle and be expected to help the team’s ailing run defense. Cosgrove’s telling Linehan that Carriker is the best player he has been around is quite a compliment considering some of the other players he has been around.

Even more, though, was Cosgrove’s telling the Rams’ contingent that Carriker’s greatest quality is his ability to stop the run. At 6’6, 308 pounds, Carriker spent most of his college career playing the “Base” end in Nebraska’s defensive scheme.

In that scheme, Carriker was technically an end but where he lined up in relation to the offensive line was the equivalent of where he would lineup as a defensive tackle in the NFL.

For the ‘Huskers, Carriker posted 20.5 sacks (sixth in school history), 134 tackles and 41 tackles for loss in 45 games.

“The best thing he does is he plays the run,” Linehan said. “He’s one of those guys that is a coach’s dream and a very disruptive player. He understands that a lot of times the role of a defensive tackle is to eat up blockers so that the linebackers can run free. I am really, really excited about this pick. In a crunch, he can probably play every position on our defensive line, but obviously we are going to place him there at defensive tackle to start out.”

After meeting with Carriker and learning about him at his workout, the Rams invited Adam to St. Louis for one of their top 30 pre-draft visits. On that trip, the team got to know Carriker and even let him in on a little secret.

“When I went to visit them, they told me if I was there at 13 they would take me,” Carriker said.

Of course, promises such as that are made regularly to prospects and don’t always come true. However, the Rams made it clear that their interest was genuine.

At last week’s draft luncheon, Linehan even had a bit of a gleam in his eye when Carriker was mentioned. Although he did his best to hide his interest (perhaps by talking up Ohio State receiver Ted Ginn Jr.), it wasn’t too difficult to read between the lines.

The fact that Carriker was more than willing to move inside was enough to solidify his position as the object of the Rams’ desires.

“He didn’t even blink,” Linehan said. “He could play some nose for us. There are all kinds of things you can do. But he said to me, ‘Coach, I will play wherever you want me to play and I will give you my best every week.’”

While it wasn’t a sure thing that Carriker would be the pick or that he would even be there when the Rams pick, there was plenty of speculation that a trade could alter what the Rams do.

Linehan spoke a little last week about the team’s apparent interest in Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, but said Saturday that there was little to no discussion between the teams.

When it became clear Carriker was going to be available, the Rams never considered making a trade.

But just because there weren’t any discussions about a trade for a veteran and the Rams selected a tackle, doesn’t completely eliminate the possibility of adding another defensive tackle.

“It does not take us out of the running,” Linehan said. “It puts us in a different position maybe and puts a different light on it. We just drafted a defensive tackle which certainly fills a need from the rookie pool coming in. But if something happens we are always looking at improving the team.”

In the meantime, the Rams will continue to build their defense and hope to improve the defense. Carriker was the top player on the team’s board when it made its selection.

Known for his outstanding motor and relentlessness, Carriker should make a good fit in the middle of the Rams’ defense no matter where he lines up.

“It’s a personality, it’s an attitude,” Carriker said. “I hate losing so I am going to do everything I can to win. I am going to run down the field and chase a guy down, I am going to play as hard as I can every play because I want to win.”

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

You can't argue with the pick, and I love what I'm hearing from him.

Bucsker is offline Registered User

Carriker Pics

Some pics of Adam Carriker attached. Enjoy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails With the 13th pick, St. Louis selects Adam Carriker, DL, Nebraska-adam-carriker90.jpg   With the 13th pick, St. Louis selects Adam Carriker, DL, Nebraska-adam-carriker238882sm.jpg   With the 13th pick, St. Louis selects Adam Carriker, DL, Nebraska-adam-carriker0200020002small.jpg   With the 13th pick, St. Louis selects Adam Carriker, DL, Nebraska-adam-carriker-20070307205434.jpg   With the 13th pick, St. Louis selects Adam Carriker, DL, Nebraska-adam-carriker-spring06.jpg  

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Very happy with the pick. He was #4 on my draft board (1 through 3 were picked before No. 13) and I think he's a very good fit. Forget the 'tweener stuff. He's a football player. Line him up at DE, DT... he's going to make plays.

Also... for those worried about his speed, don't. His straight line speed may be average, but he had some the the quickest times in the shorter drills at the combine. That's what you call "football speed" for DL.

The defense got better with this selection.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Re: Carriker Pics

Look at those arms!

Run stopping, pass rushing STUD!!!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Thanks Bucsker and welcome!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Bucsker is offline Registered User

Thanks. I'm not a Rams fan but stopped by to give you guys some pics. Carriker is a monster. I feel that he landed in a good situation. He'll be most successful in the NFL as either a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. As a 4-3 DE he just doesn't have the quickness to really beat OTs on the edge. He's a beast with a non-stop motor, and should develop into an outstanding pro. I think you guys will like him a lot.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I love this pick, Carriker is what the Rams needed. He is Hi-energy, can play any D- line position, is strong as an ox, & has great speed for his size.

Whats not to like about this guy? Please. This guy is a stud who will help bring back a solid defense in St. Louis.

Give the front office & coaches high marks for this pick. In one word OUTSTANDING.

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

I agree with Ram of Denmark. Linehan is going to use Carriker as NT IMO. What they are going to do is pack 20 or 30 more pounds on this guy and we are going to have a monster in the middle at 6'6 320ish except that unlike Alan Branch he doesn't have any character or motivation issues, I think if he can add that weight he can be a huge asset.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

A very7 good pick IMO, I think he will bring some much needed physical toughness to the D line.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast