Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: With the 13th pick, St. Louis selects Adam Carriker, DL, Nebraska

I think some people are really confused about AC. Kiper and 1380 both said he would be a DT in the 4-3. At 6'6" and 300 lbs right now, he's already normal DT size. With his speed and quick first step. he's going to be a very solid DT.

Did anyone hear them talking about his technique and competitive personality? I absolutely love the guy.

Carriker has virtually a zero probability of being a complete Bust and that's what we need.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If I could chose one player out of the whole draft to improve this team he would be it. I like the pick.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Head Coach Scott Linehan
    Saturday, April 28, 2007

(On the 13th pick)
    “First of all, obviously we just picked Adam Carriker out of Nebraska. I tried to keep it somewhat of a secret that he was the guy that I was hoping would be there and that came true. There was a chance that a couple people ahead of us had him pretty high I’m sure, and they always do, but it was obviously a player that we spent a lot of time evaluating. We went out and worked him out, myself and Jim Haslett. Tony Softli went with me as well. We spent time with him, brought him in here on our top 30 visit, spent some more time and watched maybe one of the best individual workouts I’ve ever seen a 6’6”, 300-pound man do. The fact that he’s from eastern Washington didn’t hurt. He’s from my area of the country and that doesn’t factor in much, but I might have a little bit of a soft spot for him. The great thing about Adam is that he fits a lot of categories and for us he’s going to automatically play defensive tackle. A lot of the time he played base in a defense where he played on the tackle which is why a lot of people looked at him in the 3-4, but he showed us that he has the ability to carry the weight and have the size and power to play the interior. The best thing that he does is play the run. He’s best with his hands and is one of those guys who is a coach’s dream, a very disruptive player and understands that a lot of the time that the role of a defensive tackle is to eat up blockers so that the linebackers can run free. I’m really, really excited about this pick and in a crunch he could probably play every position along the defensive line, but obviously we are going to place him there at defensive tackle to start off.”

(On Adam Carriker playing inside)
    “He played end but he also played inside on third downs quite a bit and inside on short yardage where the slide down from end into a 3-technique and his ability to play that position on a tackle next to a tight end is the evaluation we are looking at because he will be doing the same thing technique-wise for us playing off the blocks and double teams and things like that. He has leverage and power and the ability to bend. He’s 6’6”, 300 pounds and ran a 4.7 (second) 40 (yard dash) at his workout. You can look at the growth potential. Right now he looks pretty good at 300 or 305 pounds. At some point when as grows into that position he may be able to carry, I don’t know about a substantial more weight, but he easily could with the frame he has and become even bigger if we needed him.”

(On his potential to succeed in the NFL)
    “His measurable are number one but we spent I’d say five hours with the defensive coordinator who I have a little bit of a background with, we actually have a coach on our staff who worked with him at Wisconsin who’s now at Nebraska. I know there are some pretty good players that have come out of there, but the best player he’s ever coached is the first thing that came out of his mouth and if you guys need somebody who is going to help your defensive front that starts with being a great run defender and this is what he does best and can play anywhere on the line. He basically talked about films to look at, things to help us evaluate that, so there is no doubt. We even asked if he could play inside at the nose as if it was a stretch and they said it may be the best position for him one day. You kind of need to think out of the box a little bit. One of the best nose guards I’ve ever been around was Keith Traylor, who is a little bit older now, but he was college linebacker who grew into the position and the best thing he did was play the run. I’m not saying that it’s the same evaluation but you certainly know that that’s what he will be able to do for us.”

(On if DE/DT Adam Carriker is comfortable playing DT)
    “He didn’t even blink. In fact, in the crunch he may even play some nose tackle for us. The though it is, there are all kinds of things you can do (with Carriker). He said, ‘Coach, I’ll play wherever you want me to play. I’ll give you my best every week.’”

(On Carriker’s versatility)
    “That’s the thing we talked about. Being able to discuss this as a staff and a defense and say, ‘If we have the chance to draft this guy, how are we going to play him in the interior, and how can he still continue to play in some packages because he’s played it?’ But it was fairly easy, once we got in those discussions that we felt very comfortable with him being able to fit into our defensive scheme right away.”

(On possibly trading up in the first round of the draft)
    “First of all, the interest was somewhat of a groundswell, but I’m really not sure because there wasn’t the discussion between clubs. Basically, you can’t comment or discuss trades until there’s been permission granted and really there was nothing there. All the way up until our pick, there was never any discussion between the people that would have to be discussing that to make it a reality. So, it became a non-issue at the end.”

(On the possibility of the Rams making some trades during the draft)
    “I don’t know. I can’t tell you that. I don’t foresee any. There were scenarios that could’ve happened and we went through them all. Some of them were long shots and some of them were realistic and we went through every one of those. I think there was one just after our pick. I had been phoned that there was a trade and somebody moved into the 14th spot. This is about when you expect that. Had something unforeseen happened, I’m sure there would’ve been a possibility of that happening with us, but there was no way we were going to pass on the player that we wanted, at this spot, if he was there.”

(On possibly being out of the hunt for a veteran DT)
    “It does not take us out of the running. It puts us in a different position, maybe. It puts a different light on it. We just drafted a defensive tackle, we believe. Certainly, it fulfills a need from the rookie pool coming in, and if something happens we’re always looking at improving the team.”

(On if Carriker will see immediate playing time)
    “No question. That’s what he’s been doing. He’s been playing at a high level his whole career there. The fact that the defensive coordinator at Nebraska is someone I had a background with and their secondary coach is a guy that I worked with. Spending that time and listening to them and explain what they think this player can do for you helps. Both of those gentlemen said that this is maybe the best kid that they’ve been around and he also has great ability, and both of them compared him to one of the best players they’ve ever been around.”

(On if they expected DT Adam Carriker to be available at Pick 13)
    “He was obviously the number one player remaining. There were some pretty good players that went ahead, as always. We thought it was going to be 50/50 whether he was going to be there because there were two teams that showed considerable interest as well and it’s hard to say what’s going to happened. A couple of scenarios were that he wasn’t going to be there and we were going to have to go another route, which we would’ve done. I know last night and this morning, my thoughts were, ‘In a perfect world, if nothing happens, this is a player that’s going to be picked by the Rams.’ I was very happy that this was able to work out.”
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I absolutely love this pick. I've been talking up Carriker since last August, so for him to fall to us (I still can't believe the whiners passed on him) is incredible. With AC, we have THE most versatile lineman in the draft; THE best technical lineman in the draft; and one of, if not THE most consistent motors in the draft.

We have a lineman who can take on multiple blockers like an NT, penetrate like a UT, edge rush like an DE, and run stop to boot. I'm sorry, but I will probably have to giggle at anyone who attempts to argue against the selection of Carriker.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Re: Adam Carriker - St Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Defensive End | Senior | Nebraska
    Adam CarrikerHeight: 6-6 | Weight: 296 | 40-Time: 4.90
    Official Bio

Strengths:
    Holds his ground and is exceptional against the run...
    Thats it, I'm sold, good pick!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Can't wait to see him in action. Here's to a healthy and prosperous career as a St. Louis Ram.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I see him as a high motor guy like Grant Wistrom.

No doubt ... except with a bigger engine block, c.i.d., torque and Rampower throughout the RPM band. AC definitely reminds me of Wistrom and I'm sure he's been told that many times now, who knows how far back during his play at Nebraska.

I'm very glad he has the right attitude, stamina too. Maybe he will end up mentoring Kennedy on some pointers. I'm happy we selected AC over Branch. Very happy.

Welcome to the St. Louis Rams, Adam Carriker! :r

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Here's to a healthy and prosperous career as a St. Louis Ram.

Nice, BBQ. He seems to have all the right stuff, the right mental / physical tools for it! Go for it AC!

ADAM CARRIKER
    Position: Defensive line
    Height, weight: 6-6, 296
    College: Nebraska

COLLEGE RECAP
    All-American third-team selection by The NFL Draft Report and Rivals.com. Ranks
    fourth in school history with 41 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, placing
    behind former Ram Grant Wistrom (58.5), Trev Alberts (45) and Jim Skow (44).
    Big 12 defensive player of the year in 2006.

PLUSES
    Shows the initial quickness, balance and body control to charge hard in his
    backside pursuit. A leader by example, will not only play with pain, but also
    refuses to come off the field when hurt. He does a good job of splitting
    double-teams and keeping his feet when moving through trash.

MINUSES
    More of a power-oriented pass rusher than an explosive edge rusher. Lacks an
    array of moves as a pass rusher, prefers to punish the blocker rather than try
    to avoid him. Might have reached maximum growth potential.

PROJECTED ROLE
    The Rams expect Carriker to contribute right away as an interior lineman, even
    though he played the bulk of his time as an end at Nebraska.

Rams stay D-termined
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/29/2007
    Huskers Carriker

The Rams made it plain as day that they were interested in drafting Adam Carriker during his pre-draft visit to St. Louis on April 10.

"They told me if I was there at 13, they'd take me," said Carriker, the defensive lineman from Nebraska. "But at the same, I have heard of teams calling a guy up and saying, 'Our pick's next. We're going to take you.' And then they don't take him."

But this was no smokescreen. Carriker was there. And sure enough, the Rams made him the 13th overall selection in the NFL draft.

"We tried to keep this somewhat of a secret that he was the guy I was hoping would be there," coach Scott Linehan said.

Well, to everyone but Carriker. When the phone rang at his parents' home in Kennewick, Wash., the room grew dead silent.

"Everyone turned and just stared at me," Carriker said. "I looked at the (draft) clock, and there were two minutes left on the clock (for the Rams). I was like, 'This would be a perfect time for them.' "

But what if it had been a tele-marketer?

"I would have had a serious problem," Carriker said, drawing laughter on a conference call with St. Louis reporters.

It was no sales person. It was indeed the Rams, informing Carriker he was their pick.

Carriker said he was so excited at the time, he couldn't remember later who was on the other end of the line from St. Louis.

"I'm sorry, I forgot," he said.

It was the person who will sign Carriker's checks — team owner Georgia Frontiere.

At 6-6 and 296 pounds, Carriker's primary position at Nebraska was defensive end. He was a two-time all-Big 12 performer for the Cornhuskers, and was twice named the 'Huskers' defensive team MVP. Although not known as a pass rusher, Carriker had seven sacks last year and 9 1/2 in '05. But the Rams plan to use him primarily as a tackle.

"He's going to automatically play defensive tackle for us," Linehan said. "He showed us he has the ability to carry the weight and have the size and power to play the interior. And the best thing he does is he plays the run."

Carriker's weight was up to 308 when he paid his pre-draft visit to St. Louis, and the Rams think he could easily carry 315 pounds on his frame.

Nebraska's 2004 weight lifter of the year, Carriker has good overall strength.

"He was a skinny 296 pounds," said former NFL scout Tom Marino. "He can certainly be a 315-, 320-pounder without changing his look."

Marino called Carriker a perfect end in a 3-4 alignment. But like Linehan, he doesn't think it's a stretch to have Carriker play tackle in a 4-3 scheme, which is what the Rams employ.

"He's got a pro body," Marino said. "He's got good movement. You've got to worry about pad level sometimes with him, but I think he's got a chance to be a real good tackle in a 4-3. ...

"He comes hard. He plays hard. And you make plays on that."

Linehan, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and vice president of player personnel Tony Softli all attended Carriker's pro day in March. Linehan knows Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove and 'Huskers secondary coach Phil Elmassian. Both were once members of a University of Wisconsin staff that included Rams offensive assistant Jeff Horton. The Rams made use of those relationships to gain insight on Carriker.

Linehan said he spent four or five hours with Cosgrove, who told him that Carriker, "was the best player he's ever coached."

The Nebraska coaches also reinforced Linehan's thinking that Carriker could play defensive tackle.

"You've kind of got to think out of the box a little bit," Linehan said. "One of the best nose guards I've ever been around is Keith Traylor, who's a little bit older now. But he was a college linebacker who grew into the position."

Even though Carriker's primary college position was end, Linehan said Carriker played inside on third down and short-yardage situations.

"He's a very disruptive player who understands that a lot of times the role of a defensive tackle is to eat up blockers so that the linebackers can run free," Linehan said.

Carriker is aware that the Rams plan to use him at defensive tackle, and has no problem with his altered job assignment.

"That sounds great to me," Carriker said. "I can really use my speed and quickness inside there. There's a lot of guys in this draft, like a Gaines Adams, that are just a pure pass rusher. You've got big guys like a Tank Tyler who's just a straight run stopper. I can do both those things. I'm a big, strong guy who also runs very well."

Carriker ran a 4.72 at his pro day in Nebraska, which is what Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin ran at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2003.

In the second round, the Rams filled a big need for a backup running back by drafting versatile Brian Leonard of Rutgers. Leonard, 6-1, 226 pounds, rushed for nearly 2,800 yards over his college career and had a school-record 207 receptions. He compiled those totals even though he switched to fullback as a senior, serving primarily as Ray Rice's lead blocker.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Your dreaming if you think that Carriker will play NT in his first year in the NFL. The man was a DE and moving to DT is not that big of a change, but as we have seen in Kennedy moving to the NT is big switch.
    No he was more of a DT that could play DE IMO

In that scheme, Carriker was technically an end but where he lined up in relation to the offensive line was the equivalent of where he would lineup as a defensive tackle in the NFL.
    No doubt ... except with a bigger engine block, c.i.d., torque and Rampower throughout the RPM band.
    Nice!!!!
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-29-2007 at 08:39 AM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Adam Carriker - St Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    Thats it, I'm sold, good pick!
    That's all we Rams fans need to hear

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

The more and more I read about this kid the more and more that I'm beginning to like him. I only have one problem though. People are saying that he should be moved over to NT after he gains like 15-20lbs. I think that's a great idea, but just not where he would be best used. I think he would be used better at DT where he could use his motor a little better and put a bigger body over at NT to stop the run. Other then that I love this pick and think that he is the perfect addition to our ailing defense.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Favorite Quote:
    Prefers to punish the blocker rather than try to avoid him.
    RamsFan16

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Adam Carriker is a great pick for the Rams. I'm somewhat skeptical about him playing NT, but that doesn't mean he can't do it. The guy has the versatility to play anywhere on the line and should immediately improve your run D. I think he's going to be a good player, it's just too bad he had to end up with the Rams. I was kind of hoping he'd end up outside the division

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast