View Poll Results: What 2 positions do you want to see in Round 1?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • OT and WR

2 6.45%
  • OT and S

10 32.26%
  • OT and OG

4 12.90%
  • OT and TE

4 12.90%
  • WR and S

3 9.68%
  • WR and OG

2 6.45%
  • WR and TE

0 0%
  • S and OG

3 9.68%
  • S and TE

3 9.68%
  • OT and LB

0 0%
  • WR and LB

0 0%
  • TE and LB

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Which 2 positions do you hope to see the Rams fill in Round 1?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which 2 positions do you hope to see the Rams fill in Round 1?

Which combination would be your first choice?

NOTE: The order of the positions in each choice is not intended to denote which player would be taken at 16, and which would be taken at 22. So, for example, "WR and S" means that the Rams would take a WR and a S with their first two picks, but not necessarily in that order.

Re: Which 2 positions do you hope to see the Rams fill in Round 1?

I went with OT and WR.

OT because I think the pool is somewhat shallow, and if the Rams don't take one early, their options at the position will be limited by Round 2. It is unlikely that they'll have a shot at Luke Joekel and Eric Fisher, so my primary targets would be D.J. Fluker and Lane Johnson. Caveat: I'd take Chance Warmack over either of those players, but I don't think he'll last to pick #16.

I would use the other pick on WR because I believe that, after the Combine and workouts, we'll have a pretty good idea which prospects have "elite potential." I'd go ahead and grab one in Round 1, and trust that we can address other needs on Day 2.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I'd like to see OT and WR. This team needs to be better on offense and this way this get two instant starters at important positions (although I wouldn't mind if they grabbed Warmack instead of a tackle). Safety is a need but I think this is such a deep safety class that they can afford to get one in the later rounds.
    AvengerRam likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

This is a good question...also a very tough one.

I went with Safety and TE, but would of liked to see a Safety and LB option.

Also hard to pick because it is pre combine and players will fall and rise that we "individually" like and want and the round players might get drafted in will change.

Still a great question that really had me thinking. Hope you do this again post-combine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    This is a good question...also a very tough one.

I went with Safety and TE, but would of liked to see a Safety and LB option.
    Its funny that you say that. The poll system allows a maximum of 12 choices, so I couldn't list all combinations, but S/LB was the #13 that didn't make the cut.

Also hard to pick because it is pre combine and players will fall and rise that we "individually" like and want and the round players might get drafted in will change.

Still a great question that really had me thinking. Hope you do this again post-combine.
    No doubt that opinions will change as player evaluations continue. FA could also have a big impact on this, as the Rams could fill at least one primary need with a veteran.

I could definitely see doing this poll again in April.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Went with S and TE just from a value standpoint. I think where we pick you can pick top tier in those positions. Unlike most of your other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Went with S and TE just from a value standpoint. I think where we pick you can pick top tier in those positions. Unlike most of your other choices.
    I certainly see your logic, as the Rams will probably be in a position to take one of the top 2 prospects at each of those positions with their picks. At OT, the best they can likely hope for is the #3 prospect, while at WR, it could be a lot of 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B rather than clear-cut choices.
    Rammed likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Tough, tough one. If it came down to it, I'd probably say OT and WR or S and WR. I just see DeAndre Hopkins as a baller, and I'd love to see him in horns. Guy is explosive, a good route runner, and with more coaching can be a Torry Holt-type player.

I'd love Eric Fisher to fall to us, but it wont happen. I also like Lane Johnson. And last but not least Kenny Vaccaro is an excellent S prospect that would improve our secondary.

THE DREAM TEAM

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

wish I could pick more than one. I picked OG and S but would be just as happy with a WR.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Speaking more broadly, I'd be happy if we addressed the OL and Safety. I don't much mind if it's a guard or a tackle at this point - any fortification is good fortification.

But that's not the question, is it?

From a value standpoint, I wouldn't love Fluker at either of our first round picks. My fairly-uninformed opinion is that he's a bit of a straggler. Obviously, If Chance Warmack is available, we shouldn't hesitate. But is there value at guard in the late first after Warmack? It's iffy.

At the safety position, there are a bunch of options we could look at, all of whom would present as reasonable value in the 16-22 range.

At the end of the day, I don't think we can come out of the first round not having addressed the OL. So I've gone with OG and S for the time being on the assumption that if Warmack isn't available at #16, we could look at Jonathan Cooper at 22 or later in the first via trade.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

If Womack is available, we take him.

If not I say OT and S, if we get playmaking WR in FA, if not OT and WR

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Looking at our needs and looking at the general depth of the differnet positions in the 2013 class, I'm going to have to say OT and Safety, though I'd also be very happy with a TE in the first as well, and had my whole thread on the subject.

We know that we need talent on the offensive line, specifically we need a new Right Tackle. I know that LG is a concern, but I think that Warford in the 2nd is a consideration, as well as other players. Further, I really want to see what Rok Watkins can bring after recovering from injury. The other line position for a backup would be Center, where a brainy type in the bottom rounds would be welcome as I think having a center to call the protection scheme is critical for our success. In 2011 when Sam tried calling them, it led to failure.

As for Safety, the class is deep, yes, but we possibly need starters at both positions, so I would be for addressing this twice early on, depending on how free agency and our own roster shapes up. I think Vaccaro at one spot and someone from the 3rd round could set up an interesting starting duo for years to come.

At TE, I just feel that 12 personnel is the future of the NFL. Already, we've seen this for years as teams use less and less of the fullback, to the point where the Rams didn't even have one on the roster last year. In my TE thread, it was suggested that I wanted to run a zone read option offense or that Kendricks would be pushed out of the starting lineup. Both of those are completely false. Shotty already was running 12 personnel in 2012 by having Mulligan up on the line of scrimmage and moving Kendricks all over the field as an h-back. I want to keep Kendricks doing that role, but I think that we could really get the offense clicking if we had a Jimmy Gragham-type who can dominate in the middle of the field. The other key about having two good TE's is that they have the size to block for the running back on short yardage without having to change personnel, so we could trap the defense with smaller players on the field like the Patriots like to do. It's a copy-cat league, and I want to copy the 2 TE base set.

So to summarize, OT and S is my first choice, but TE is right there as a very close 3rd position to target. I just think that we can grab a difference making TE in rounds 2-3 as well, while we're guaranteed to need 1st-2nd round quality at OT and Safety.
    mde8352gorams likes this.
    I believe!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Try OG and TE

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    OL and saftey but with our 1st 4 picks i hope we get an OL, Saftey, Wr, and OLB. And i pray we find a Kr/Pr somewhere. Imo if we go WR in the first round we take away the potential of Quick being a starter. He was basically redshirted last season. And if Young pans out Quick will be fighting for playing time anyway.
    Last edited by Fastcat; -02-08-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Trends that seem to be emerging...

Those who want to add a receiver in Round 1 wish to obtain a WR or a TE, but not both.

LB is not viewed by many as a top priority.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast