Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By punahou

Thread: 20 Random Early Thoughts Regarding 2014 Draft

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

20 Random Early Thoughts Regarding 2014 Draft

1. The great thing about this year is that we don't have to have that annoying debate between the "play to win" group and the "tank for better draft position" group. Everyone agrees that the Rams should play to win and the Redskins should tank!

2. The prospect of a Top 5 pick is exciting, but right now there are only a few players who strike me as Top 5 prospects at need positions for the Rams. Jake Matthews - definitely. Taylor Lewan - probably. Sammy Watkins, Louis Nix, Mike Evans - possibly.

3. Part of me wants to make it this simple: if Matthews is there, take him, if not, trade down.

4. The Rams really need to build up their DB. Given this year's draft class, though, the best place to do that might be from the mid-first to the mid-second round, rather than the top of the draft.

5. I still want to take a developmental QB, particularly if the Rams obtain an extra Day 2 pick (or two). Jimmy Garoppolo is the guy I like - as early as Round 3.

6. At CB, I think the Rams need to take a page from the Seahawks blueprint and find bigger guys who can hold up WRs at the line of scrimmage. With the Rams' pass rush, we don't necessarily need "shut down" guys. "Slow down" guys will do. That's why a guy like Stanley Jean-Baptiste of Nebraska (6'3, 220) intrigues me.

7. At LB, I firmly believe that a high draft pick is not needed. What we need is run stuffer type. Max Bullough (Michigan State) and Denzel Perryman (Miami) are the two guys I'm watching.

8. The two 40 times that I'm most interested in are those of Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans.

9. Of the Rams' own FAs, the one who will impact the draft the most is Rodger Saffold. It will be interesting to see what kind of market there is for a guy like him.

10. At this point, I see little reason to draft a RB. Stacy, Cunningham and D-Rich are enough.

11. If we do draft a WR in the first round, we should really try to trade Austin Pettis and/or Chris Givens. No sense allowing assets to waste away on the bench. Brian Quick is a keeper only because his potential outweighs his (minimal) trade value.

12. I hope Barrett Jones gets some playing time in the last three games. It would be good to see if he is a viable future starter.

13. If the Rams trade from the Top 5, does that become part of the RGIII consideration? Hell, yeah!

14. Who had RGIII being benched by Week 14 in the pool? Nobody?

15. R.I.P. Read-Option as the NFL Standard (2012-2013).

16. In terms of intangibles, I think our defense needs more disciplined players, while our offense could use a bit more swagger.

17. The funny thing about making draft projections in December is that there are probably 5-6 players who will be taken in Round 1 who, at the moment, are barely on the radar.

18. The Rams might have the first pick in the draft. How crazy is that?

19. It must really suck to be a Redskins fan right about now.

20. There is no offseason.
    Tampa_Ram and Randart like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: 20 Random Early Thoughts Regarding 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    1. The great thing about this year is that we don't have to have that annoying debate between the "play to win" group and the "tank for better draft position" group. Everyone agrees that the Rams should play to win and the Redskins should tank!

2. The prospect of a Top 5 pick is exciting, but right now there are only a few players who strike me as Top 5 prospects at need positions for the Rams. Jake Matthews - definitely. Taylor Lewan - probably. Sammy Watkins, Louis Nix, Mike Evans - possibly.

3. Part of me wants to make it this simple: if Matthews is there, take him, if not, trade down.

4. The Rams really need to build up their DB. Given this year's draft class, though, the best place to do that might be from the mid-first to the mid-second round, rather than the top of the draft.

5. I still want to take a developmental QB, particularly if the Rams obtain an extra Day 2 pick (or two). Jimmy Garoppolo is the guy I like - as early as Round 3.

6. At CB, I think the Rams need to take a page from the Seahawks blueprint and find bigger guys who can hold up WRs at the line of scrimmage. With the Rams' pass rush, we don't necessarily need "shut down" guys. "Slow down" guys will do. That's why a guy like Stanley Jean-Baptiste of Nebraska (6'3, 220) intrigues me.

7. At LB, I firmly believe that a high draft pick is not needed. What we need is run stuffer type. Max Bullough (Michigan State) and Denzel Perryman (Miami) are the two guys I'm watching.

8. The two 40 times that I'm most interested in are those of Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans.

9. Of the Rams' own FAs, the one who will impact the draft the most is Rodger Saffold. It will be interesting to see what kind of market there is for a guy like him.

10. At this point, I see little reason to draft a RB. Stacy, Cunningham and D-Rich are enough.

11. If we do draft a WR in the first round, we should really try to trade Austin Pettis and/or Chris Givens. No sense allowing assets to waste away on the bench. Brian Quick is a keeper only because his potential outweighs his (minimal) trade value.

12. I hope Barrett Jones gets some playing time in the last three games. It would be good to see if he is a viable future starter.

13. If the Rams trade from the Top 5, does that become part of the RGIII consideration? Hell, yeah!

16. In terms of intangibles, I think our defense needs more disciplined players, while our offense could use a bit more swagger.

17. The funny thing about making draft projections in December is that there are probably 5-6 players who will be taken in Round 1 who, at the moment, are barely on the radar.

All I can say is this, I really love the draft and everything leading up to it. It has been my 'Superbowl' years now. I'm the guy in Madden that auto plays out a season just so I can go thru the draft and have my own team=)

Im excited that we are going to have 2 fairly high picks, and I hope we make wise choices with them
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

To bad the Skins made the change at QB, I was liking the results so far! GR-third-string!

I have been on the fence for taking WR but not I'm all in and it's Mike Evans.

If we have the second pick I expect we land him and get more picks and that's Les Snead's fault for those expectations.

I agree and with the extra second round pick... we should get one.

I want a young gun but not until the 4th round. Kirk Cousins was drafted in the fourth round.

Agree.

Not sure who we should look at, I will look the these guys and I agree no need to draft one in round one. I also think Ray Ray could be a possible starter next year.

My thoughts on Mike Evans forty is in, he's fast enough. I really like Evans over Watkins for the Rams. He fills a role that we just don't have. A true number one. We have speed with Givens and Austin. We need a big time physical outside threat like Anquan Boldin or Vincent Jackson.

Fisher on his show seemed to be really impressed with Rodger Saffold as a football player. They had him playing guard and RT in the same game going back and fourth and Rodger is unfazed. The new regime said it's philosophy is to draft well, coach them up and retain them. Time pony up and pay this guy IMO, if we are going to become a great football team we can't let OUR proven talent leave! Rodger went from whiner to the hart and sole of the O line IMO.

Yep and we are talking about a UDFA, 7th round pick and a fifth round pick. Nice work FO.

This one is really interesting. I agree one player that needs to go and that is Pettis. We only have 5 WR and they all stayed healthy this year, we need some depth. Pettis we know what his is. Givens, Quick and Bailey all of them have higher ceilings then Pettis.

He was just to soft from what I have read. He is working hard to get bigger and stronger. Next year we will see the kid.

This stock has paid dividends!

Not me, how do you sit a player that you have given up so many draft picks for? But here is the craziest thing. They have him running the scout team. That's messed up.

I thought it would last at least two years. Heck the wildcat lasted longer. Heck Tebow lasted longer.

Make sense.

Yeah some will rise and some will fade. My biggest riser is Johnny Manziel. I think he becomes as hot at Tavon did last year. He plays a lot like Wilson extending plays and Wilson will go deep into the playoffs. Some team will want that type of playmaker and he will put on a show at the combine and in his pro day.

Stop teasing me! I was thinking if we got the second pick we would have given up nothing to get all those extra picks we have had the last two years!

I don't see how not playing will advance RG3 as a NFL QB and having a new system in year three will help... not looking good for the Skins. What is it 14 years as a owner and 7 coaches?

Not here in the Clan!
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-12-2013 at 05:49 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The only 40 time that I'm interested in is that of BernieM's. Curious to see how he does on the bench press as well.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Great post, but i wouldnt trade austin and i think givens' trade value is incredibly low bordering on nothing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    Great post, but I wouldn't trade Austin and I think Givens' trade value is incredibly low bordering on nothing.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel
    Cannot, DO NOT trade TA! I agree on Givens too. I think he'll be okay next year (catch more, drop less).

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Cannot, DO NOT trade TA! I agree on Givens too. I think he'll be okay next year (catch more, drop less).
    That was Austin Pettis we were talking about, not Tavon Austin.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

I didn't think you could head into an offseason with less hope than Rams fans a few years ago did, but the Redskins definitely top us this year.

At least when we we're awful a few years back we had a top pick to look forward to in every draft. There hyped up QB they spent more on the any other team in history is doing awful, AND they don't even get a first round pick. There whole organization is in complete disarray from top to bottom. I feel bad for the die-hard Skins fans that actually look forward to the draft. That would suck.

RealRam is offline Registered User

That was Austin Pettis we were talking about, not Tavon Austin.
    Ugh. So sorry, I assimilated incorrectly!

Last edited by RealRam; -12-12-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Speleen

general counsel is offline Registered User

I missed that too Jorge. I read it too fast and thought Av meant Tavon Austin.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Look at what the Eagles, Seahawks and Panthers have done on offense this year. The read option is not dead.

I also would really like Jake Matthews but if someone else wants to offer another RGIII type trade for the Rams pick then I would prefer that. It would be nice if this RGIII cycle could just keep repeating for 10 years with Rams' draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Look at what the Eagles, Seahawks and Panthers have done on offense this year. The read option is not dead.
    Neither the Seahawks nor the Panthers run a base read option, and the Eagles are in year one of a gimmick offense.

Mikey is offline Registered User

And the Eagles don't run a read option.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think most of you guys (like a lot of NFL circles) are forgetting the read option is a play. So yes, the Seahawks and the Panthers and the Eagles DO run that play. Maybe not often, but they do, which in turn means they run the read option.

THE DREAM TEAM