AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

20 Random Pre-Draft Thoughts

1. We can all narrow the Rams' first choice down to four players, but could it be any less clear which one we'll end up with?

2. Devaney really wants to prove himself with this, his first pick as a top personnel man on a team. Does that push him toward the more conservative approach (i.e. Jake Long if Miami takes Chris Long?). Or does he go for a home run? (Dorsey or Gholston)

3. How did Brian Brohm go from a sure-fire Top 10 pick to a potential second rounder? Have you looked at his stats from last year. Someone may get a real bargain there.

4. I can't remember a draft so devoid of big name LBs. Makes you wonder if James Laurinaitis wishes he declared.

5. I think this is a deep draft at the WR position, but I'm having trouble ranking the prospects. A fully healthy Limas Sweed might be at the top, but if his wrist is still a concern, he could be as low at 6 or 7 on the list. See what I mean?

6. Branden Albert's stock sure seems to be rising. Too bad... I was hoping he might slip to the Rams in Round 2. No chance of that happening now.

7. Quick... name me the top prospect from Florida State...

8. Glenn Dorsey worries me. If we take him, I'll worry. If we pass on him, I'll worry.

9. Bruce Davis is officially my top Day 2 sleeper. Sure, he's a tweener with good, but far from great, measurables... but consider this: his last 26 games (playing in the Pac 10): 92 tackles, 33 tackles for loss, 24.5 sacks. You can't tell me that this guy does not have some skills that will translate to the NFL.

10. Donnie Avery is still a prominent player on my radar. He apparently had a great Pro Day.

11. I like reading the scouting reports on the prospects. Still, every time I read a player's "pros" I think "wow, I'd like to have this guy" and then when I read his "cons" I think "oh... guess we should pass." I also love it when they write "great motor" in the "pros" and then contradict themselves by writing "sometimes takes plays off" in the "cons." Huh?

12. If the Rams are still thinking about Lito Sheppard as a trade target on or before draft day, I'd be okay with that, but I'd hate to give up one of our top 3 choices this year. I would offer a 2009 2nd round pick (maybe with a late round 2008 pick as a throw in).

13. I'm surprised that the Rams have not been more aggressive in pursuing a FA center given what they have and the lack of top prospects at center in this year's draft.

14. Unless Josh Barrett or Craig Steltz drops to the 4th round, I don't see the Rams taking a SS. More Chavous...? Ugh.

15. If the Rams trade out of the second selection (which I doubt they will do) it will be because someone really wants Dorsey.

16. One of the Rams 4 6th/7th round picks should be on a big fat tub-o-lard DT to backup Ryan. Seems like a lot of those late round fat guys end up being good in limited, run-clogging, roles.

17. I hope the Rams are serious about getting a developmental QB.

18. Some say the Rams might take a CB in Round 2 or 3. What is the likelihood that the Rams will take someone at that point who will be more ready to play than Bartell and Wade?

19. Quinton Groves may be off my "ten foot pole" list at this point, but I still don't see him as a good fit for the Rams.

20. Can't wait till draft day!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 20 Random Pre-Draft Thoughts

Oooh, I'll go with.....Geno Hayes, LB. And he's what......3rd rounder at best, maybe more like 4th?

There's at least 7 different "in state" players from UF, Miami, So.Fla, & Cent.Fla that will go before the first Seminole finds a home.

That's pretty amazing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

3. Well, what did either 1st round QB do last year? Take an immediate impact first and then grab a QB in the 2nd.

6. I never had hope for Albert, it's Gosder Cherilus I'm worried about missing now.

9. Being a UCLA fan, I love Davis, but his combine and pro day weren't stellar. I really think he's a guy who can play the game but won't wow you if you test him. I would love it if we grabbed him and either got his speed up to be a Sam or bulked him up a bit and got him stronger to be a Strahan. Better stats than Gholston!

12. If a third can do it, see if we can give our high 4th this year and another 4th next year, or maybe a 3rd. Otherwise, I agree.

14. With this class, I don't see us going after any safeties. And yes, ugh. Next year. Next year.

16. There's a couple vets too, but that spot works out perfect for the 350lb guys that you tell to just fall on the O-line and let the LB's walk over you.

18. Bingo. If you're going to use that high of a pick on CB, just trade for Sheppard.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Allen Fullerman DT second round

Rambos is offline Registered User

2. Devaney really wants to prove himself with this, his first pick as a top personnel man on a team. Does that push him toward the more conservative approach (i.e. Jake Long if Miami takes Chris Long?). Or does he go for a home run? (Dorsey or Gholston)
    Long or Long. But he has the whole draft as he said we need three starters in the draft.

18. Some say the Rams might take a CB in Round 2 or 3. What is the likelihood that the Rams will take someone at that point who will be more ready to play than Bartell and Wade?
    Good point, we spent a 3rd pick on Wade, we have to see him get a shot.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    6. I never had hope for Albert, it's Gosder Cherilus I'm worried about missing now.
    I'm with you on Cherilus, but I can't see him lasting until the 33rd pick. Would the Rams consider trading up into the late first round for him? Probably not as we pick so high in each round this year, and should be able to land an impact player at the top of the second round. The Lito Sheppard scenario is intriguing though.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I'm with you on Cherilus, but I can't see him lasting until the 33rd pick. Would the Rams consider trading up into the late first round for him? Probably not as we pick so high in each round this year, and should be able to land an impact player at the top of the second round. The Lito Sheppard scenario is intriguing though.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we landed Carl Nicks in round 2 with the 33rd pick.

And Av, I too can't wait for Draft Day.

Go Rams!:r

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    1. We can all narrow the Rams' first choice down to four players, but could it be any less clear which one we'll end up with?
    Nope, makes it very intriguing. Things could get more clear as the Dolphins will likely start negotiating with a couple of guys to get a contract in place early if possible.

Speaking of contracts and Miami's pick, it's interesting to think about how money could become a factor. The top pick in this class is likely going to command $30+ million in guaranteed money. When you look at the positions getting that kind of bank in the NFL, you'll see quarterbacks and offensive tackles (and corners, but there isn't a CB option for Miami).

Meanwhile, last summer, Dwight Freeney signed a deal with something like $30 million guaranteed, and that was the richest deal ever signed by an NFL defender. So you'd basically be paying that kind of dough to an unproven rookie right out of the gate if the Dolphins select Chris Long or Gholston.

This rookie contract system really needs to be reworked, but if the Dolphins make a selection with that top pick - and I'm fairly certain they'll have to - the price tag when compared to market value of players at that position may be something that works in favor of a QB or OT.

My impression from what I've heard of him is that Devaney seems to be pretty well respected around the league already. So I'm not sure how much proving he really has to do, but I guess within Rams circles, it's a question mark to some extent. Hopefully whomever he picks - more conservative or home run - is a guy he's done plenty of research on and feels confident about.

3. How did Brian Brohm go from a sure-fire Top 10 pick to a potential second rounder? Have you looked at his stats from last year. Someone may get a real bargain there.
    Perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team try to trade up into the late first or early second to secure him.

4. I can't remember a draft so devoid of big name LBs. Makes you wonder if James Laurinaitis wishes he declared.
    Good point. I see a number of guys I'd like somewhere in the second round, but few I'm crazy about in the first.

5. I think this is a deep draft at the WR position, but I'm having trouble ranking the prospects. A fully healthy Limas Sweed might be at the top, but if his wrist is still a concern, he could be as low at 6 or 7 on the list. See what I mean?
    Very true. That's why I like the potential value at that position for us at the top of the second round.

6. Branden Albert's stock sure seems to be rising. Too bad... I was hoping he might slip to the Rams in Round 2. No chance of that happening now.
    I've seen him projected as high as fifth overall to the Chiefs now. Seems to be a bit out of control, but I think he's a top 25 lock at this point.

Without looking, I'd have to say Geno Hayes.

8. Glenn Dorsey worries me. If we take him, I'll worry. If we pass on him, I'll worry.
    Well said.

9. Bruce Davis is officially my top Day 2 sleeper. Sure, he's a tweener with good, but far from great, measurables... but consider this: his last 26 games (playing in the Pac 10): 92 tackles, 33 tackles for loss, 24.5 sacks. You can't tell me that this guy does not have some skills that will translate to the NFL.
    Not sure how well he fits into our defensive scheme. Is he purely a situational pass rusher for us? Big question, IMO.

10. Donnie Avery is still a prominent player on my radar. He apparently had a great Pro Day.
    That's what I've read as well. Wouldn't be surprised if he's not there in the third.

11. I like reading the scouting reports on the prospects. Still, every time I read a player's "pros" I think "wow, I'd like to have this guy" and then when I read his "cons" I think "oh... guess we should pass." I also love it when they write "great motor" in the "pros" and then contradict themselves by writing "sometimes takes plays off" in the "cons." Huh?
    I get the same impression at times, especially when it comes to the negatives. Sometimes you come away thinking a guy has the plague.

12. If the Rams are still thinking about Lito Sheppard as a trade target on or before draft day, I'd be okay with that, but I'd hate to give up one of our top 3 choices this year. I would offer a 2009 2nd round pick (maybe with a late round 2008 pick as a throw in).
    Agreed. Can't say I'm willing to sacrifice the second pick in any of the first three rounds this year, but a future pick could be intriguing. Depends on whether the Eagles want their payday immediately or they can stand to wait. Still, I'm not crazy about Sheppard so I wouldn't overpay, even if the team suspects Brown may be taking an extended vacation.

13. I'm surprised that the Rams have not been more aggressive in pursuing a FA center given what they have and the lack of top prospects at center in this year's draft.
    They really have a couple of options, though. They probably want to see what Setterstrom can do there, first and foremost. They know Richie can play it in a pinch, and they brought Romberg back so they have someone they've seen start at that spot. They can also call up McCollum if things get bleak. I think Wiegmann would have been a solid move, but looks to have signed in Denver to be a back-up. Maybe that should tell us something about him.

14. Unless Josh Barrett or Craig Steltz drops to the 4th round, I don't see the Rams taking a SS. More Chavous...? Ugh.
    I tend to agree. I don't think the Rams view strong safety as as big a need as many fans do.

15. If the Rams trade out of the second selection (which I doubt they will do) it will be because someone really wants Dorsey.
    Or Jake Long, IMO, if he's there. I think every team in the top five could make a strong case for him.

16. One of the Rams 4 6th/7th round picks should be on a big fat tub-o-lard DT to backup Ryan. Seems like a lot of those late round fat guys end up being good in limited, run-clogging, roles.
    Certainly wouldn't hurt. We seem to have strong depth at UT (Carriker, Glover, Wroten) but nothing behind Ryan, unless you double count Carriker. Grabbing someone like Frank Morton (Tulane), Henry Smith (Texas A&M), or Corey Clark (Jackson State) as late rounders or UDFA might be the way to go.

17. I hope the Rams are serious about getting a developmental QB.
    Same. Brock Berlin doesn't really excite me, and I'm not entirely comfortable with Trent Green if he has to see significant time.

I really hope we don't invest another second or third round pick in a corner. We have enough youth at the position, IMO. If we need a personnel upgrade there, it's a veteran.

19. Quinton Groves may be off my "ten foot pole" list at this point, but I still don't see him as a good fit for the Rams.
    Understandable.

20. Can't wait till draft day!
    Agreed!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick on Albert
    I've seen him projected as high as fifth overall to the Chiefs now. Seems to be a bit out of control, but I think he's a top 25 lock at this point.
    And that came from Kiper, right?

It's like Kiper and Mayock are trying to out "out there" each other this draft, know what I mean?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, it's been said that Albert is a top 15 talent who plays a second round position. If he played OT exclusively, he'd probably be the number two or maybe number three guy. I would find it hard to believe that the Chiefs would take him but I could see any team from Chicago on down taking him. He won't last to the second and I am starting to doubt Cherilus will either, hence my being scared of missing him.

As for Carl Nicks, mde, I would be pissed if we got him at #33. He would be a major reach at that point in time, at the cost of a very good and high value pick of some other position that falls, possibly WR, LB, or Safety. There may also be a value QB pick or two there, which could lead to a trade down in the second round to where Nicks could make sense.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

5. I agree. There probably aren't any top ten receivers in this draft, but there are a lot of guys who grade out latter half of the first/early second round.

8. I kind of agree. I thought I was over that whole first round DT stigma a couple years ago, but at the second pick overall, it's alive and well. It seems like even more than most years, there's the sense that we really can't afford to screw this one up.

10. The one thing I worry about with Avery is whether he'd get bumped off his routes by more physical defensive backs. I'm not at all surprised that he does well in shorts. Still definitely interested in him if we don't go receiver in the second round.

14. I understand we sent our defensive back coaches to Arkansas State University's Pro Day (I think Carolina was the only other team that did, although a total of 9 teams sent scouts). Quite possibly the only prospect from A.S.U. who will get drafted is safety, Tyrell Johnson. We probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of sending them down if we weren't at least somewhat interested in him as a second day prospect.

17. I hope so, too. Besides the depth issue, it's so hard--and so necessary--to find a good quarterback, that's a good idea to always be trying to groom one from the backup ranks. You never know when you might stumble across another Brady/Bulger/Delhomme type player from the later rounds.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-02-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Dolphins will likely start negotiating with a couple of guys to get a contract in place early if possible.
    Interesting, can't wait to hear who the are trying to get signed. Once they do that it will leak.