ramhard is offline Registered User

2000 Draft - what a stinker

I was reading draft stuff and they had a link to every teams 2000 draft as a recap, since these guys should now be in their prime. You can see why the Rams talent level has dropped off. They got literally NOTHING from this draft.

CLASS OF 2000
    Tuesday, April 20, 2004

1st round, 31st overall – Trung Canidate, RB, Arizona
    Canidate played in 36 games with the Rams, starting three, two in 2001 and one in 2002 before being traded to the Washington Redskins before the 2003 season. After playing in only three games due to injuries in his rookie season, the former Wildcat standout put up impressive numbers when given the chance in 2001. Canidate rushed 78 times for 441 yards (5.7 average) with six touchdowns, while making 17 receptions for 154 yards (9.1 average) and returning 36 kickoffs for 748 yards (20.8 average) in 2001.

In his first career start in place for the injured Marshall Faulk, Canidate rushed 23 times for 195 yards at the New York Jets 10/21/01, scoring two touchdowns. Both touchdowns came on memorable plays – one was a direct snap to Canidate, ran in for 12 yards; and the other was on an option play where WR Az-Zahir Hakim ran 12 yards and pitched the ball to Canidate for the last 44 yards. It was the most rushing yards in a running back’s first career start since Gerald Riggs gained 202 for Atlanta 9/2/84. Canidate became the Rams kickoff returner again at the end of the 2002 season and returned seen kicks for a 28.1-yard average, with a career-long of 53 yards.

2nd round, 62nd overall – Jacoby Shepherd, CB, Oklahoma State
    Shepherd played in 22 games for the Rams, starting one. In 2000, Shepherd notched 17 tackles (13 solo) with one interception, coming against San Diego 10/1 off Chargers’ QB Jim Harbaugh. He made seven special teams tackles in 2000 and six in 2001 before being placed on the reserve/injured list 11/17. Shepherd was traded to the Houston Texans after the 2001 season for a conditional draft pick.

3rd round, 94th overall – John St. Clair, OL, Virginia
    St. Clair became the Rams’ starting right tackle in 2002 and performed admirably. The Virginia product started 13 games at right tackle, three games at left tackle, and played at left tackle in two of his starts at right tackle due to injuries to T Orlando Pace and T Grant Williams. In 2003 St. Clair saw action as a goal-line tight end and on special teams, making his first career reception for 18 yards at Cleveland 12/8 on Monday Night Football

St. Clair spent his first two NFL seasons on the Rams’ active roster, but was a designated inactive for each game in those two seasons. The former first-team all-America selection as a Cavalier signed with the Miami Dolphins as an unrestricted free agent after the 2003 season.

4th round, 104th overall – Kaulana Noa, OL, Hawaii
    Noa spent the 2000 season on the reserve/injured list for St. Louis after suffering a broken wrist during the preseason, and then spent every game of the 2001 season on the gameday inactive list. The former first-team all-WAC selection was allocated to NFL Europe in 2002 by the Rams, and started at tackle for the Barcelona Dragons. Noa was released during 2002 training camp by the Rams.

5th round, 139th overall – Brian Young, DL, UTEP
    Young played in 60 games for the Rams, starting 31, 16 of them coming in 2001. While in St. Louis, Young made 253 tackles (112 solo), 11 sacks, one interception, 11 passes defensed, three forced fumbles, and six fumble recoveries. Young also started four of the five postseason contests he played in for the Rams, making 25 tackles (10 solo) with two sacks and four passes defensed. Young played mostly on special teams in his rookie year, totaling eight tackles (five solo), but emerged in 2001 training camp to win the starting defensive tackle job, where he spent the whole season. Young finished his breakout season with 78 tackles (42 solo), 6.5 sacks, one interception, 18 QB pressures, and one forced fumble. He finished the season second on the defensive line in tackles and third on the team in sacks. In 2003, Young started 12 games , making a career-high 82 tackles (34 solo) with 2.5 sacks, four passes defensed, two forced fumbles, and a franchise-record-tying five fumble recoveries.

The former WAC Defensive Player of the Year made a career high 16 tackles at Chicago 11/16/03 and also tied an NFL record for most fumble recoveries in one game, as he collected four against Baltimore 11/9/03. In 2002 Young played in all 16 games, starting three, and notched 65 tackles (31 solo) with two sacks, two passes defensed, and one fumble recovery. Young signed with the New Orleans Saints as an unrestricted free agent following the 2003 season.

6th round, 198th overall – Matt Bowen, S, Iowa
    Bowen played in 17 games for St. Louis, starting two, both in 2000. Bowen played in 2001’s season opener at Philadelphia 9/9, but broke his foot in the game, and was placed on the reserve/injured list. He was later released 11/6. In 2000, the former first-team all-Big Ten selection made 21 tackles (15 solo) and had two passes defensed, tying for the team lead with 21 special teams tackles. In his second career start vs. San Diego 10/1/00, Bowen led the team with a career-high 12 tackles (nine solo).

7th round, 220th overall – Andrew Kline, G, San Diego State
    Kline spent 2000 training camp with St. Louis before being placed on the reserve/injured list 8/22 and being released at the end of the 2000 season.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Re: 2000 Draft - what a stinker

The smell is killing me!!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Just something to think about on the 2000 draft
    (Pre-rankings based on NFLDraftCountdown.com...for what it's worth)

1. Trung Canidate - 15th ranked RB, 5th RB drafted
    2. Jacoby Shepard - 11th ranked CB, 8th CB drafted
    3. John St. Clair - 1st ranked C, 1st C drafted (however, another C wasn't drafted for another 2 rounds)
    4. Kaulana Noa - 10th ranked G, 7th G drafted
    5. Brian Young - 22nd ranked DE, 11th DE taken (moved to DT)
    6. Matt Bowen - 18th ranked FS, 9th FS taken
    7. Andrew Kline - 20th ranked G, 15th G taken

Just for giggles, let's put a quantity to this draft. It's meaningless, but numbers really turn some people on.

Sum of ranks of our 7 picks = 97
    Sum of players drafted ahead of and including our picks in their respective positions = 56
    Sum of our "reaches" = 41 spots
    Average position spots "reached" per pick =~ 6

So, with each pick (on average) we dipped down 6 players deeper than we needed to.

P.S. I don't need any of those math majors out there trying to tell me why I'm wrong because of the deriviative of Pythagorean's Fibinacci integral, or whatever. I'm just killin' time with this. Relax, it's the offseason.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Maybe that's why St. Clair sucked. I don't ever remember him playing Center!All I ever seen him play was Tackle Or was it guard? Hell I know it wasn't center!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    Maybe that's why St. Clair sucked. I don't ever remember him playing Center!All I ever seen him play was Tackle Or was it guard? Hell I know it wasn't center!
    He was a 1st team All-American at VA...for the life of me I can't remember why we didn't play him there.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

That's what I thought........When I saw Center I thought maybe I missed something!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

yep stinky real stinky.I had a lot of hope for trung.Kept hearing he was fragile in college,so I just kept my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:21 PM.