Jimmyrid is offline Registered User

2007 Draft First Round Options / Questions?

Ok Guys, this is my first official post and most of what I am about to post is fairly obvious to most of you experts but some feedback on what we can do in the first next year would be appreciated. Its a ittle long!!!

From the way the Season has panned out it is fairly obvious that we need help on both lines. The Defensive line I feel needs the most help (JMO). The question I have what options are available where we could end up picking?. I always get very interested in the Draft and have been looking at some of the Official Sites and some of the not so oficial draft sites. All interesting reading!!!. As far as I can see several names have come up and they are as follows

Alan Branch (DT) - obvious choice but will he be there at pick 10+
    Quinn Pitcock - all I know is that he plays for Ohio but I think our position may be too high to justify picking him at this point (plays for a good team)
    Other DT's/NT's to consider - DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, Frank Okam & Amobi Okoye. The questions about these guys are they worth picking in the first? or will any be available if when we pick in the second?.

If the DT/NT is a no go then the other names that have been mentioned are Linebackers. The most common pick for the Rams appears to be Paul Pozluzny (Penn State). I know he has had injury in the past season and was considered a high draft pick last year if he had declared. Would the Rams consider him in the first?. Patrick Wills is the other name mentioned bit as Nick has said a high pick would be too soon for him. What other options are there for the OLB position worth considering?.

The final Defensive opton I have is Laron Landry - this would be an acceptable pick, however if any of the above are still available would Landry be the best pick or would they?.

The offensive line needs some work as well, however I don't feel that there is good depth (Guard positions in particular, OT is quite deep)in the upcming draft to spend 1st or 2nd round picks on this JMO, some of you guys may be able to prove me wrong). What chances are there that Josh Beekman (heard he is quite good) would be available with our third pick?. What other options do we have for the O-line?

One other area where we might be able to pick up some good depth is at DE. Where would b a good pick for us to take an effective DE?.

This discussion could go on forever so thats all from me. Just about to start watching the LSU V Arkansas game here in the UK, hope this is a bit better than the A&M V Texas game I have just finished watching (Aggies win)

Final point from me, I hope all you guys had a fabulous day yesterday on Thanksgiving day.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 2007 Draft First Round Options / Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyrid View Post
    Alan Branch (DT) - obvious choice but will he be there at pick 10+
    Quinn Pitcock - all I know is that he plays for Ohio but I think our position may be too high to justify picking him at this point (plays for a good team)
    Other DT's/NT's to consider - DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, Frank Okam & Amobi Okoye. The questions about these guys are they worth picking in the first? or will any be available if when we pick in the second?.
    Branch - Likely will not be there @ pick #10. A guy like Branch doesn't make it by Tampa Bay, Washington, and Cleveland, IMO. And all of them are picking ahead of us. He's a player I think the Rams could make a strong case to trade up for, however. All this is dependent on if he declares or not though, however I think he will simply because I don't think his stock gets higher than it is right now.

Pitcock - I'm not totally sold on him. I'm not sure how well he'll transfer to the pros, and I likely wouldn't consider him in the top 20. It seems like he plays the pass and the run well, but I'm just not sure if he's the potentially dominant force we need inside in that line.

Tyler/Okam/Okoye - Not a huge Tyler fan because IIRC he has some character issues. Okam would be foolish to declare if he isn't graded as a first rounder, and Okoye could slip into the first round depending on how he finishes the season and works out. If any of these guys are available at our second round pick, it would likely be Okoye and he'd be a good pick. Not sure any of them last that long.

If the DT/NT is a no go then the other names that have been mentioned are Linebackers. The most common pick for the Rams appears to be Paul Pozluzny (Penn State). I know he has had injury in the past season and was considered a high draft pick last year if he had declared. Would the Rams consider him in the first?. Patrick Wills is the other name mentioned bit as Nick has said a high pick would be too soon for him. What other options are there for the OLB position worth considering?.
    Poz - He started off the season somewhat rough and made some suspect his injury was still affecting him, but then he turned it around and has been playing very well. I don't think you really consider him @ #10 though.

Willis - Great athlete, but you can't take him #10 especially if you're going to ask him to change positions to OLB. He makes more sense in the 15-25 range, IMO.

Both of these guys are later first round guys right now, but that could change with workouts because you always see some stocks take huge hits or go sky high with workouts. There aren't many SLB prospects in this draft, IMO. The question becomes whether the rumor about Haslett wanting to move Spoon outside is true or not. If it is, we're looking for a MLB. If it isn't, we need a SLB and the choices become a bit more thin - Tim Shaw, Prescott Burgess, maybe Brian Smith, KaMichael Hall, and Dallas Sartz all round out the non-first round possibilities on the strong side, IMO.

The final Defensive opton I have is Laron Landry - this would be an acceptable pick, however if any of the above are still available would Landry be the best pick or would they?.
    Right now my Rams draft board for the tenth overall pick (when considering need positions) would likely be...

1) Alan Branch
    2) Gaines Adams
    3) LaRon Landry

I'm not a huge Quentin Moses fan right now as he's had a pretty disappointing year. I don't value Okam high enough to put him above Landry, and while Atogwe has played well in flashes, he's also looked absolutely horrible at other times, so the FS position could definitely be upgraded.

The offensive line needs some work as well, however I don't feel that there is good depth (Guard positions in particular, OT is quite deep)in the upcming draft to spend 1st or 2nd round picks on this JMO, some of you guys may be able to prove me wrong). What chances are there that Josh Beekman (heard he is quite good) would be available with our third pick?. What other options do we have for the O-line?
    Beekman will not be there in the third unless he gets injured or some character issue comes up. He could go late first, likely goes early second. We may not even be able to get him with our second, let alone our third.

In the third round, I like the center from Ohio State - Doug Datish. He has experience all over the line and would give the Rams a smart versatile player who can fill in wherever Richie decides not to play. If Richie stays at center, you've got Datish at LG. If Richie moves back to guard, you've got Datish at center. He's even played some left tackle for the Buckeyes I believe. I think he makes a nice third round option, personally.

One other area where we might be able to pick up some good depth is at DE. Where would b a good pick for us to take an effective DE?.
    If we can address it first day, I would. I'd love to see Gaines Adams fall but I'm not sure he gets by some teams like Tenn and Washington. I don't like any other DE at pick #10 right now - Moses hasn't looked good and Woodley seems like more of a 3-4 OLB prospect now. In the second round I like guys like Anthony Spencer and Ray McDonald, who has experience at both tackle and end and is rising up some draft boards right now. In the third, I think you can look at guys like Dan Bazuin, Mkristo Bruce, and maybe Chase Pittman.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Country is offline Registered User

I think that S is anunderrated position of need. I know as well as anyone that the Rams DL has not looked good, butu our Safeties have also looked terrible. I have looked at some free agent lists and this years has better FA DL then it does S. I would be fine with picking Landry 10-15 or trading down and drafting Griffen 15-25.

UofL17 is offline Registered User

Okoye is a stud. I think he will go late first round. The kid is only 19 years old.

ramsown is offline Registered User

again branch would be a dream

but some people have us taking derelle revis

hes a corner out of pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by ramsown View Post
    but some people have us taking derelle revis

hes a corner out of pittsburgh
    Some people also sniff glue.

This team is not going to take a first round cornerback for the second year in a row. If they do, then maybe I'll start my own opposition party. :x

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Poz - He started off the season somewhat rough and made some suspect his injury was still affecting him, but then he turned it around and has been playing very well. I don't think you really consider him @ #10 though.
    Just curious why you say you can't consider him at #10 when you were okay with Hawk going in the top 10 last year? This year Poz was forced to wear a heavy brace for the first few games and, more importantly, they moved him from outside in a 4-3 to inside in a 3-4 so it was a learning experience for him, but he adapted very well and was playing exceptionally well by the end of the season. Is it just the injury, or do you think he's not that good?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Some people also sniff glue.

This team is not going to take a first round cornerback for the second year in a row. If they do, then maybe I'll start my own opposition party. :x
    Draft Recidivism Opposition Party (DROP)?

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    Just curious why you say you can't consider him at #10 when you were okay with Hawk going in the top 10 last year?
    Because Hawk last year was a much better prospect than Poz is this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Draft Recidivism Opposition Party (DROP)?
    Trademark it.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Because Hawk last year was a much better prospect than Poz is this year.
    Much better? Well, if you say so. Personally, I'd like to see him become a Ram. He has great character and leadership abilities. I don't think the Rams really have a leader on defense.
    Anyway, barring injury, I think he'll be very productive for whoever drafts him.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

we need a MLB, not an OLB. We have two very good OLBs on the roster signed to long contracts in Spoon and Pisa. We need to get a guy who can slot in between them, start from day one, and crush anyone who gets anywhere near him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    we need a MLB, not an OLB. We have two very good OLBs on the roster signed to long contracts in Spoon and Pisa. We need to get a guy who can slot in between them, start from day one, and crush anyone who gets anywhere near him.
    And therein lies the problem. I don't see an MLB in this draft who will start from day 1. I think Poz (who, I agree with Nick, is a poor man's Hawk) can, but he may be it. Maybe Willis can start immediately inside, but I'd be surprised to see anyone else.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think Poz can be a MLB in the right situation, but I would prefer Willis as a MLB of the two of them. I'd prefer Willis as a SLB as well, actually.