Thread: 2008 Draft

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Arrow 2008 Draft

I'm sure this may have been discussed in earlier threads, but who do you all think the Rams should draft this year? Bill Parcells has hinted that he may trade down, and we know we will definitely have 2/3 of J/C Long, or Dorsey.

NFL Draft Countdown - 2008 NFL Mock Draft

1. MIAMI DOLPHINS
    CHRIS LONG

DE | Virginia | Scouting Report
    Odds are Bill Parcells will try to trade down but the question is will anyone want to move up? Not only would it be costly in terms of draft picks but then they will have to worry about negotiating a huge, #1 overall pick contract as well. If they stay put the Dolphins will likely be zeroing in on three players: Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey and Jake Long. Knowing Parcells the smart money is certainly on defense and in a photo finish Howie's boy gets the nod. Not only is Long a perfect fit for Miami's 3-4 scheme but he also brings the type of intensity and non-stop motor that "The Tuna" covets.

2. ST. LOUIS RAMS
    GLENN DORSEY

DT | L.S.U. | Scouting Report
    This is a tough spot for the Rams since the value on the board does not necessarily match their greatest needs but at this point defensive line looks like the best option. Chris Long may be a better fit but it is hard to classify Glenn Dorsey as a consolation prize because many consider him to be the top senior prospect in this draft. La'Roi Glover won't be around much longer and even though Clifford Ryan played well as a rookie it would probably be difficult to justify passing on a talent like Dorsey because of him. Moving last year's #1 Adam Carriker back outside to end is even a possibility.
    The link above has I believe the next 3 rounds. It seems that the Falcons would probalby go for a QB (likely Ryan), and IMHO we could choose from Dorsey, Chris, or Jake Long. One of the 3 (probably Jake Long) will slip past the 3rd overall pick. Trading down is also an option. With that in mind, what does the board think?

BTW.. I love how they called him "Clifford" instead of "Clifton" LOL

Also can anyone help me out adding a poll, I was prompted with the option then I couldn't customize it, then I went to edit the post but I don't have the option anymore.

I just read a lot from the 1-21-08 Gordo interview that alot of people are doubting Jake Long's skill (again). It may be better to go with Chris or Dorsey. If we take Dorsey, we should move Carriker back to end. Then again, he already has played a season there, but Glover is getting older, and the combination of Carriker/Ryan/Dorsey/Little looks promising. I wonder how L. Little will fair though, considering how he performed before he was injured, and I also what would become of James Hall (depth, or playing the outside with Carriker and Dorsey inside). The FA market must be searched thoroughly for O-linemen as well; I hope we can find the talent, given Barron's false starts and Pace's injury problems. Maybe trades and FAs will help solve these problems. Draft-day looks to be interesting this year.
    Last edited by prof22693; -01-21-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: poll options?

Re: 2008 Draft

Mod please delete this accidental post
    Last edited by prof22693; -01-21-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

mmm...i hope the Phins dont snag Chris Long. We need to have a DE because Carriker did such a good job at DT. Why move him back to DE when we have a solid DT out of him for sure.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Our number one need when everyone is healthy has been pass rush for about three years. We need to improve that in this draft. Period.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Our number one need when everyone is healthy has been pass rush for about three years. We need to improve that in this draft. Period.
    Ever hear of free agency?

Dominating D is offline Registered User

FREE AGENCY?

U know it's where you overpay for a player. If your lucky his performance will not decline.....

chiguy is offline Registered User

A pass rushing defensive end in free agency? On the off chance that some team let a Julian Peppers kind of player go, then I'd be OK with them spending money to get them. But that would be all we'd get done in free agency because it would come with a hefty price tag. It makes more sense to pay for a young offensive tackle, veteran offensive guard, linebacker, etc. than it does to get a DE. Heck, we might fill two or three needs for what we'd pay a pass rushing DE.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    A pass rushing defensive end in free agency? On the off chance that some team let a Julian Peppers kind of player go, then I'd be OK with them spending money to get them. But that would be all we'd get done in free agency because it would come with a hefty price tag. It makes more sense to pay for a young offensive tackle, veteran offensive guard, linebacker, etc. than it does to get a DE. Heck, we might fill two or three needs for what we'd pay a pass rushing DE.
    Very true, we should definitely try to get a DE in the draft (Long, etc.). DEs these days demand hefty prices, we could sign some O-linemen with that money. In the draft I think we should go C. Long for round 1, round 2 O-lineman, round 3 SS.