Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

2009 ClanRam Mod Mock Draft - Discussion Thread

Here's the separate thread for everyone to discuss how things are going in the 2009 Mod Mock Draft!

Please restrict your discussion about the Mod Mock to this thread alone rather than responding in the Selection thread. Responses in the selection thread will be moved or deleted!

Hope you guys enjoy, and please feel free to contribute opinions on picks already made, picks about to be made, or anything related to this mock!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: 2009 ClanRam Mod Mock Draft - Discussion Thread

Tx would go with the homer pick over the best player in the draft

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Not necessarily. It was tough, but KC has zero pass rush and that's Orakpo's specialty. It was a tough pick, but in the end if this scenario rears itself I truly feel that KC would go with Orakpo also. He's a stud too people. There is more to this draft than just Curry.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Yeah I know I was just trying to yank your chain. You gave a good reason, he would definitely improve their pass rush. But I am curious, a few people have concerns with Curry moving to MLB from OLB. The chiefs are moving to a 3-4 so do you think Orakpo who was a DE would have troubles moving to a 3-4 OLB? You have a far greater knowledge of your Longhorn than me, but I personally would stick with the dude who has played there all of his career. That being said I don't think anyone can argue with Orakpo's freakish physical ability and getting after the QB was not what Curry was asked to do at Wake.

Orakpo played both styles last year, some with his hands in the dirt, some in just a crouch position. His speed off the end and his physicality will make him very tough for a TE or an OT to stop him one on one. The Chiefs had a grand total of 10 sacks last season and they need a pass rusher badly. Orakpo fits the bill. With Dorsey/Orakpo the Chiefs would be building one heck of a D line.

jbell15 Guest

Yeah i Hate to be negative this early into the mock, but that first pick makes me want to yack. There is no way Detroit can afford to miss badly on that pick, and picking sanchez gives them the most opportunity to bust. IF they draft a QB, it will be Stafford. It's obviously just my opinion and i will gladly eat crow if detroit drafts Sanchez.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sanchez @ 1.
    Orakpo @ 3.

Nobody can say we don't keep it interesting!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Stafford has a strong arm, but I don't think he could hit the broad side of a barn if he has to take off to protect himself. Sanchez, OTOH, doesn't have as good of an arm, but he can hit a moving target while running for his life. Considering Detroit has an even worse O line than the Rams, I figure that Sanchez would be a slightly better choice.

Orakpo? Seriously? Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Sanchez @ 1.
    Orakpo @ 3.

Nobody can say we don't keep it interesting!

Yea, it is a REAL stretch for the Chiefs to take the best pass rusher in the draft after they had a grand total of 10 last year. Big stretch there HUb.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Yea, it is a REAL stretch for the Chiefs to take the best pass rusher in the draft after they had a grand total of 10 last year. Big stretch there HUb.
    You got to stick with your boy, tx. I get that. However, looking at the Chiefs current roster, knowing they've stated they're moving to the 3-4, and trying to read Pioli's future move based on his historical moves.......it seems Curry is the obvious choice.

Personally, I think the Chiefs are trying to squash a square peg in a round hole with the 3-4, but that aside.....they are a crowded group on the line and edges. At the first level, they've got Boone, McBride, Dorsey, Edwards, & Tyler. At the 2nd level, Vrabel may be joined outside by Gatewood, Johnston, Mays (a Pioli guy), current starters Johnson & Williams, and maybe even Hali (kind of a man w/o a home in the 3-4). OLB's they got.

What they don't have is an ILB.

If the season started today, their ILBs would be, oh I don't know, maybe Beisel and Studebaker.

In the Chiefs' eyes, Orakpo would be a LB, just as Curry. If they were in a 4-3, I could see the argument for Orakpo. But in a 3-4, where both these guys will ask to do more than just rush the passer, I don't see any way that Orakpo is selected over Curry.

But like I said, he's your boy. Like the Beach Boys said, you gotta be true to your school.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-31-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Personally, I think the Chiefs are trying to squash a square peg in a round hole with the 3-4, but that aside.....they are a crowded group on the line and edges. At the first level, they've got Boone, McBride, Dorsey, Edwards, & Tyler. At the 2nd level, Vrabel may be joined outside by Gatewood, Johnston, Mays (a Pioli guy), current starters Johnson & Williams, and maybe even Hali (kind of a man w/o a home in the 3-4). OLB's they got.

What they don't have is an ILB.
    Playing devil's advocate here...

Derrick Johnson, IMO, is kind of a strange fit. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on where he's going to end up. My money would be on ILB, but even if he does move outside, he's not going to be the top pass rusher that the Chiefs need from one of their OLBs, in my opinion. He'll probably spend more time in coverage while occasionally blitzing. But IMO, he's not a Merriman or Ware or Harrison from the outside, which is what the Chiefs need in that scheme, especially after a miserable 10-sack season.

Vrabel probably will not be counted on as an every down OLB because of his age. He offers production as a rotational guy, but his presence doesn't mean one of those two spots is locked down. If Johnson does move outside, I wouldn't be surprised to see a rotation of the two. Vrabel can also play ILB in that scheme, though.

As for the rest, you're talking about...

Gatewood: Completely unproven UDFA
    Johnston: Completely unproven 7th round pick
    Mays: His experience is on special teams and @ ILB
    Johnson: Again, I see him staying inside @ ILB or being a coverage OLB
    Williams: At 6'0" 232 lbs I'm not sure he fits anywhere in a 3-4
    Hali: As you pointed out, not a great fit as either a DL or LB

So I'd come back at you and say, where's the stud pass rusher that's going to turn this 10-sack team into an effective 3-4 defense?

Look at 3-4 teams across the league, and you've got guys off of the edge that can do damage rushing the passer. Right now, unless you think one of these late round picks are suddenly going to blossom, or if you think Johnson or Vrabel are going to blow up in this scheme, the Chiefs don't have much of anything for a pass rush even in their shift.

To be honest, the Chiefs don't seem to be basing their move to the 3-4 off of their personnel but rather the preference of those in higher up positions. That's already a mistake. But IMO, if you're going to switch to that scheme, then you'd better make sure you've got someone who can come off the edge and have that kind of double digit sack impact for you. The Chiefs do not, and there's certainly a chance they value the pass rusher over the 3-4 ILB. The former is much more important to the equation than the latter, IMO.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Orakpo played both styles last year, some with his hands in the dirt, some in just a crouch position. His speed off the end and his physicality will make him very tough for a TE or an OT to stop him one on one. The Chiefs had a grand total of 10 sacks last season and they need a pass rusher badly. Orakpo fits the bill. With Dorsey/Orakpo the Chiefs would be building one heck of a D line.

I'll tell you what tx, I've been thinking about Orakpo going to the Rams for awhile now. Yeah, I know that we definitely need O-line help and Monroe/Smith are very attractive, but to get the best pass rusher in this draft and pair him with Chris Long is quite a temptation also. I've long thought that the Rams' lack of pass rush (especially when Little is out) is even a worse Achille's heel than our troubles against the run.

With Leonard getting older and more brittle we are going to have to solve out anemic pass rush woes sooner rather than later. And a guy like Orakpo could be just what the doctor ordered.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    So I'd come back at you and say, where's the stud pass rusher that's going to turn this 10-sack team into an effective 3-4 defense?
    The exact same place as their ILB centerpiece..........not currently on the roster. But they must decide which LB they want, the consensus top ranked LB in the draft, or the 4-3 End who most have ranked as the #2 ranked LB who will only do one thing in this defense.
    To be honest, the Chiefs don't seem to be basing their move to the 3-4 off of their personnel but rather the preference of those in higher up positions. That's already a mistake.
    Exactly. Like I said, square peg - round hole. Personally, I'd be more impressed with Pendergrast if he turned this defense around as a 4-3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    The Chiefs do not, and there's certainly a chance they value the pass rusher over the 3-4 ILB. The former is much more important to the equation than the latter, IMO.
    I disagree. Merriman and Ware are special talents, but I think Orakpo is closer to Gholston in a 3-4 than he is Merriman/Ware. That aside....

The top 3-4 pass rushers last year were Ware, Porter, & Harrison. In points allowed, Ware played for the 20th ranked Defense, Porter the 9th, & Harrison the 1st. So what is the difference? A lot of things obviously (as in the case in any team comparison), but high on the list would have to be the talent surrounding the pass rusher. Ware is great, but his cohorts were rather underachieving. Porter's team fared better with what would have to be a called several overachievers. But Harrison had the benefit of a much stronger Defensive middle (Hampton, Farrior, Foote, Polumalu) than the others.

I'm not saying a strong pass rusher is not important for a 3-4. Obviously it is.

However, my point is that passing on a 3-down LB for a 'tweener pass rusher to a team that needs a major turnaround is like offering a tin of cavier instead of a bag of groceries to a homeless man. Yea, the cavier is flashy, but ol' homeless Joe is going to need something more filling.

A 3-4 OLB rusher can make a good team great, but not a bad team good. Not without a stronger interior to help him.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

IDK Orakpo in a 3-4 kinda looks like Vernon Gholston to me. They both would be good in a 4-3, but a 3-4 not so much.

I know the Bengals D is terrible, but there line is also terrible and they have to think about their best player Carson Palmer. If Monroe is on the board I think it would be realy hard for them to pass on him.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I dont get the Sanchez pick.

If the Lions said it is down to 4 (stafford, Monroe, SMith, CUrry) and the Media thinks its down to 2 (Stafford, Smith) then how is the pick Sanchez.

However the Orakpo pick is really good. Last year the Chiefs set the record for least sacks so i think Orakpo has to be the pick.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast