Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: 2009 ClanRam Mod Mock Draft - Discussion Thread

From reading all this, I'm more confused than a kid in a jelly bean store. I want that one, no that one, no that one.

I'm just kind of confused on where this is going.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -04-01-2009 at 02:15 PM.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

...and with the 13th pick yet another riot breaks out in the crowd, as Redskins fans all over the country are in shock that Andre Smith was sitting there, and the Washington Brass elected to pass.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As the Redskins' Mock GM, I considered an OT, though I would have gone with Michael Oher over Andre Smith. In the end, though, I went with DE because the dropoff at that position (particularly with the early selections of Orakpo, Brown and Maybin) will be severe come the second round.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-01-2009 at 03:00 PM.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As the Redskins' Mock GM, I considered an OT, though I would have gone with Michael Oher over Andre Smith. In the end, though, I went with DE because the dropoff at that position (particularly with the early selections of Orakpo, Brown and Maybin) will be sever come the second round.
    it's my pet peeve...but this annoys me. In the first round, espc. this early in the draft (not even at pick 15), I "feel" its right to pick the best player from a group vs worst player left in a group, because there has been a run. I feel you actually devalue the pick when you do that...just me though

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If projections of a prospect are to be removed
    It seems to me you're talking about two different things now. I'm not saying you can't make a projection of what a current prospect could be at the next level. I'm not sure where you got that.

I'm simply saying that you can't look at an established NFL player and rewrite that player's draft history based on their NFL production. Teams do not get to draft in hindsight with the knowledge of how these prospects turned out. Regardless of what Gholston and Willis have done as pros, IMO, Gholston still goes first if they're both available.

If you think Orakpo is going to struggle to translate to the 3-4, then you probably won't take him. We don't know if the Chiefs feel that way. I'm simply trying to point out that the positional importance of pass rushers, be it 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, may be enough to push a prospect like Orakpo into consideration over another prospect of higher grade in Curry. That's all I've been saying, HUb.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As the Redskins' Mock GM, I considered an OT, though I would have gone with Michael Oher over Andre Smith. In the end, though, I went with DE because the dropoff at that position (particularly with the early selections of Orakpo, Brown and Maybin) will be sever come the second round.
    Plus, the Redskins don't have a second round choice, so really it would be a drop off to the third round.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Need aside, I'd say that Jackson is as good a prospect as A.Smith or Oher. I confess that I had not noticed that the Skins don't have a second round pick. That only bolster's my choice.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    It seems to me you're talking about two different things now. I'm not saying you can't make a projection of what a current prospect could be at the next level. I'm not sure where you got that.
    No, this is what I've been saying all along. I think now you are starting to read it the way I wrote it. (Keyboard communication can be a bear sometime.) lol

I'll rephrase my whole point with the Willis/Gholston comparisons.

A year from now, I believe we will look at Curry's rookie year in much the same way as we looked at Willis after his rookie year. And we will look at Orakpo's rookie year in much the same way as we looked at Gholston after his rookie year.

With that projection in place, I think surely you can see why I doubt the Orakpo selection over Curry.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    With that projection in place, I think surely you can see why I doubt the Orakpo selection over Curry.
    I ultimately doubt Orakpo is the pick over Curry as well, and had Curry to the Chiefs in my own mock.

But you said earlier that you "don't see any way that Orakpo is selected over Curry." I disagree. I believe there is a possibility Orakpo is selected over Curry, and have been trying to explain how that could happen.

As for the point about post-draft production, I think you misunderstood what I was applying it to. I was saying you can't use a player's post-draft production to rewrite history regarding how that player was viewed as a prospect when he came out. I wasn't trying to say you aren't able to look at an established player's production in the NFL and project a current draft prospect to have similar production when they are a pro. I hope I've clarified that point.

From the GBN Report Mock Draft

1 Detroit Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
    2 St. Louis Jason Smith OT Baylor
    3 Kansas City Brian Orakpo DE Texas

Don't be so sure about Curry

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    From the GBN Report Mock Draft

1 Detroit Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
    2 St. Louis Jason Smith OT Baylor
    3 Kansas City Brian Orakpo DE Texas

Don't be so sure about Curry
    Well, that's great and all, but as I said yesterday, from 29 of the 36 published mock drafts in dc prospect reports data base

1. Some guy
    2. Some guy
    3. Kansas City Aaron Curry

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I was saying you can't use a player's post-draft production to rewrite history regarding how that player was viewed as a prospect when he came out.
    Of course. Nor was I trying to.
    I hope I've clarified that point.
    As I hope I've clarified mine.

Fellas, this has been great, but let's hitch up our skirts and move on down the road. We're now 11 picks beyond the Chiefs, so though it's been fun (yes, I'm being quite serious), let's keep it moving forward to the next pick that tx is going to royally screw up. Just playing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Whatever....Ok it's Curry. fine.

I feel bad for the Texans. As New Orleans GM, I kind of swiped the best OLB off the board right before their pick and that's an area they probably would have liked to address.

Looking at the board, I think the Texans will probably go with one of these four guys...

-Chris Wells (RB, Ohio State): Wells would team with the elusive Slaton to be a great 1-2 punch in the AFC South
    -Vontae Davis (CB, Illinois): Robinson wasn't pleased to be tagged; the Texans could upgrade their other starter
    -Percy Harvin (WR, Florida) or Darius Heyward-Bey (WR, Maryland): Andre Johnson is a stud but another dynamic offensive weapon could help free him up even more

Should be interesting to see where they go here. If Maualuga falls to San Diego, I have to think that pick will take five seconds to get to the podium. But we've already had some twists thus far so you never know!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I feel bad for the Texans. As New Orleans GM, I kind of swiped the best OLB off the board right before their pick and that's an area they probably would have liked to address.

Looking at the board, I think the Texans will probably go with one of these four guys...

-Chris Wells (RB, Ohio State): Wells would team with the elusive Slaton to be a great 1-2 punch in the AFC South
    -Vontae Davis (CB, Illinois): Robinson wasn't pleased to be tagged; the Texans could upgrade their other starter
    -Percy Harvin (WR, Florida) or Darius Heyward-Bey (WR, Maryland): Andre Johnson is a stud but another dynamic offensive weapon could help free him up even more

Should be interesting to see where they go here. If Maualuga falls to San Diego, I have to think that pick will take five seconds to get to the podium. But we've already had some twists thus far so you never know!
    Nick, since you swiped the one guy I spent a long time studying....I had no choice but to go a different direction. I went with a "safe pick". Houston needs defensive help more than they need a running back or WR. Since Cushing is gone, Laurinaitis will be wearing the Houston uniform this season.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

No way is Smith getting by the Chargers. McNeil is in the last year of his contract with nothing waiting in the wings. The future is now...the Chargers have enough head cases..they don't need Maualuga too.

Their line will be set for years now.

Wow, two very interesting but well explained picks in Laurinaitis and Smith.

With DeMeco Ryans manning the middle, I would have to think Laurinaitis could be tried on the weak side for Houston and give them an instant upgrade there.

In San Diego, Smith could eventually replace McNeil as the left tackle, or man the right side or a guard position for years to come.

Interesting how things are shaping up and we're only halfway done with the first round!

Now the Jets are on the clock and have a number of options. Do they go best WR available? Do they draft their RB of the future? Do they get a new signal caller in Josh Freeman? Do they go defense?
    Last edited by Nick; -04-01-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast