Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

2010 Draft Questions #2: Options Beyond Clausen and Suh!

Many stuggling teams with new regimes and head coaches tend to win games toward the end of the season. So here is the Scenario:

Bucs: Ndamukong Suh
    Chiefs: Russel Okung
    Browns: Jimmy Clausen
    Lions: Eric Berry
    Rams: ...?

1) Who do you think is the best player available now? (not particularly your choice)

2) Would you take Sam Bradford? Or is he too much of a risk?

3) Is Tim Tebow worth a top 5 pick? If yes would you want him at #5?

4) If we dont get the best QB should we settle for the 2nd best in Jake Locker? Does anyone else see Jamarcus Russel comparisons in Locker?

5) Is Gerald McCoy worth a top 5 eventhough he won't do much vs. the run? Would you take him over a franchise QB?

6) Should any of the 2010 WRs even be mentioned as a top 5 pick?

7) Any other good players with value at pick 5 that are not a QB or DT?

8) Who would you take if Clausen and Suh are off the board?

If your going to answer try coping and pasting the answer or quoting it in the response so it is easier for everyone to know what the question is when reading your reply

Thank You
    Last edited by BarronWade; -11-05-2009 at 10:39 AM.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: 2010 Draft Questions #2: Options Beyond Clausen and Suh!

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Many stuggling teams with new regimes and head coaches tend to win games toward the end of the season. So here is the Scenario:

1) Who do you think is the best player available now? (not particularly your choice)

4) If we dont get the best QB should we settle for the 2nd best in Jake Locker? Does anyone else see Jamarcus Russel comparisons in Locker?

5) Is Gerald McCoy worth a top 5 eventhough he won't do much vs. the run? Would you take him over a franchise QB?

1. Taylor Mays, Trent Williams, Greg Hardy, Sam Bradford, Dez Bryant, Gerald McCoy, or Carlos Dunlap.......take your pick.

2. I think Bradford is worth the risk. I'm not decided (yet) whether he is or is not the BPA at that point.

3. Absolutely not. Tim Tebow will not be a franchise QB in the NFL.

4. I'm not sold on Locker with our 1st round pick (probably #1, 2 or 3). I feel we can get more value by taking the BPA there (which won't be Locker), and get the BQBA with our 2nd round (#33, 34 or 35) pick.

5. I disagree with your premise that "he won't do much vs. the run". McCoy is a complete DT and yes, he will be a top 5 pick.

6. I could still see Bryant in that discussion. And though he has had a very disappointing season, the Combine will be a moneymaker for Arrelius Benn. I don't think either will be the BPA when the Rams pick though.

7. See answer #1

8. With the first four picks as you've laid out, I'd take.......Bradford, IF he completely checked out medically; if there are lingering shoulder concerns, I go with Gerald McCoy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Eric Berry is an absolute stud for college football but until he proves he has premier speed at the combine, I'm doubting he's a top 10 pick. By the position he plays, a lot of teams are going to pass on him. If he were a free safety, that would be different. Strong safety just isn't a position where teams want to invest $50 million (18-30 million guaranteed). Injuries happen so routinely and it's generally considered a position where you can get very good talent later in the draft.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Apart from the QBs, I'd say Suh, T.Mays, C.J.Spiller, G.McCoy and D.Bryant.

Now? No. In April? Ask me in March.

"No" is just not a strong enough word to express how much I would oppose taking Tebow with a first round pick.

First of all, I'm not sure Locker isn't the best QB prospect in this draft. As for a comparison to Russell, I don't see it.

Why wouldn't he do much against the run?

Dez Bryant, maybe. Beyond that, no.

I think C.J. Spiller has the potential to be a game changer. I could see having a guy like Jackson carrying the ball 20 times a game, with Spiller getting 10 carries, 5-10 passes thrown his way, and returning kicks and punts.

Right now... Jake Locker.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    1)

Why wouldn't he do much against the run?

I think C.J. Spiller has the potential to be a game changer. I could see having a guy like Jackson carrying the ball 20 times a game, with Spiller getting 10 carries, 5-10 passes thrown his way, and returning kicks and punts.
    McCoy is just not very good vs. big blockers in the run game he is more of a pass rusher. I dont see him as the type to push the Center back and create a negative loss on a HB dive.

Wow im kinda of surprised to see CJ Spiller. I think he will be a good RB but we have Action Jackson. Maybe he worded the question wrong i meant any good players with value not including QB or DT that the rams would be interested in.

Or are you saying the Rams should consider Spiller in the top 5?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Eric Berry is an absolute stud for college football but until he proves he has premier speed at the combine, I'm doubting he's a top 10 pick. By the position he plays, a lot of teams are going to pass on him. If he were a free safety, that would be different. Strong safety just isn't a position where teams want to invest $50 million (18-30 million guaranteed). Injuries happen so routinely and it's generally considered a position where you can get very good talent later in the draft.
    Great Blue North Report has Eric Berry going 5th in the draft. They also have Gerald McCoy as the overall #1.

Anyone familiar with the WR from Illinois?

molar_pistol Guest

If your going to answer try coping and pasting the answer or quoting it in the response so it is easier for everyone to know what the question is when reading your reply

Thank You
    1. mccoy or locker. dunlap's combine should be amazing so he could be there.

2. no. there's the shoulder thing and i just don't like his size in general for a power-running kind of team.

3. no way.

4. i'm not sure locker isn't the best qb in the draft yet. i don't see any comparisons to russel at all.

5. i would probably rather go with locker than mccoy honestly. not that he won't be good, but i like locker a lot and the only guys i like better at this point are suh or maybe clausen.

6. i don't think so.

7. for the rams, no.

8. locker.

McCoy is just not very good vs. big blockers in the run game he is more of a pass rusher.
    Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are more than a few who would disagree with you.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Wow im kinda of surprised to see CJ Spiller. I think he will be a good RB but we have Action Jackson. Maybe he worded the question wrong i meant any good players with value not including QB or DT that the rams would be interested in.

Or are you saying the Rams should consider Spiller in the top 5?
    I would. If the Rams think they can get their QB of the future with their second pick (i.e. if they feel a guy like Colt McCoy or Tony Pike would still be there), and their goal with the first pick is to get a playmaker on offense, I have Spiller rated the best playmaker in the draft right now. The guy has 40 TDs in 29 games in college (24 rushing, 9 receiving, 7 returns). As I said, I think he could be a great change of pace back, could play some WR, and would be the best kick returner we've had since Tony Horne. Plus... here's a crazy stat on offense: 608 touches, 0 fumbles.

Bottom line... I see him as the player who (aside from a QB) could have the biggest impact on our offense.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Great Blue North Report has Eric Berry going 5th in the draft. They also have Gerald McCoy as the overall #1.

Anyone familiar with the WR from Illinois?
    Here are Benn' Stats this year 26 catcher 298 yards 0!!!! touchdowns garbage.

About the Question I think Carlos Dunlap is very overrated he will look like Mario Williams at the combine, but on the playing field he is farm from that.

In your certain scenario I'm looking at the Oklahoma boys both McCoy and Bradford. McCoy may be the BPA and Bradford has the makings of a Franchise QB if he checks out health wise.

My sleeper in that Scenario for me would be Greg Hardy. Best pass rusher in the draft, but has had a ton of injuries. He is the perfect RE for the system. He has been more healthy this year and is reasserting his dominance. Spags loves his DE's and IMO hardy not Dunlap should be at the Top of the DE crop. One thing that might turn us off is top 5 pick money 2 of the last 3 years at DE. That is a ton of dough.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I would. If the Rams think they can get their QB of the future with their second pick (i.e. if they feel a guy like Colt McCoy or Tony Pike would still be there), and their goal with the first pick is to get a playmaker on offense, I have Spiller rated the best playmaker in the draft right now. The guy has 40 TDs in 29 games in college (24 rushing, 9 receiving, 7 returns). As I said, I think he could be a great change of pace back, could play some WR, and would be the best kick returner we've had since Tony Horne. Plus... here's a crazy stat on offense: 608 touches, 0 fumbles.

Bottom line... I see him as the player who (aside from a QB) could have the biggest impact on our offense.
    But still S-Jax is a factor back and hes the type that gets better as we keep feeding him the ball. So why would we take touches away from our best playmaker and give it to Spiller. You think this will cause some controversy?

Or if we get Spiller would it mean we may trade Jackson next trade deadline (i hope not)

molar_pistol Guest

i agree that we need another back that can be productive behind steven, but not in the first round. not with mccoy, suh, locker or clausen possibly available.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

a) Don't just rank Benn on his TD and reception total. He was injured with an ankle problem for a while and he has Juice Williams throwing to him. Williams has been absolutely horrible this year. Not sticking up for Benn, just can't base everything on his stats.

b) in past years I'd have called Av insane for saying Spiller is a candidate in the first round. I've changed my mind. You take BPA and let depth work it's way through. You just don't know what's going to happen even next week so you can't substitute a great player for a stretch just because you have a need today.

c) a DE will shoot up the rankings and get drafted high. Happens routinely.

d) Eric Berry may be RATED as a top 5 pick, doesn't mean teams will value him there. I think it was Charlie Army who said there were certain positions that he would never draft in the first round. Guard, center, SS, FB, ILB I think were the list. There just isn't THAT big of a difference to justify committing THAT much money.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    d) Eric Berry may be RATED as a top 5 pick, doesn't mean teams will value him there. I think it was Charlie Army who said there were certain positions that he would never draft in the first round. Guard, center, SS, FB, ILB I think were the list. There just isn't THAT big of a difference to justify committing THAT much money.
    Enter the "We drafted Kennedy over Polumalu" camp in.......3........2.......1

But still S-Jax is a factor back and hes the type that gets better as we keep feeding him the ball. So why would we take touches away from our best playmaker and give it to Spiller. You think this will cause some controversy?
    Not at all. Jackson is currently averagung 20.6 carries per game. Only one back (Cedrick Benson) carries the ball more often. History has shown that, in the long run, backs who carry the ball 320+ times per year eventually wear down and lose productivity.

I'm not suggesting that Jackson should only carry the ball 10-15 times per game. Rather, I'd like to see a rotation in which Jackson averages 18-20 carries, while a guy like Spiller would get 10-12 carries. Spiller would also be used in the passing game, both out of the backfield and as a wideout. Heck... he could probably run the wildcat.

The key is that, the threat of a guy like Spiller (who is a one-seam and gone kind of guy) would only open things up more for Jackson.

Or if we get Spiller would it mean we may trade Jackson next trade deadline (i hope not)
    No. But in 3-4 years, when Jackson is 29-30, it sure would be nice to have a 25-26 year old Spiller still on his rookie contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast