Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RockinRam is online now Registered User

Re: 2010 Draft Questions #2: Options Beyond Clausen and Suh!

If Suh, Clausen, Okung, and Berry are all off the board, I would consider:

-Taylor Mays
    -Bruce Campbell (Freakish athletic tackle)
    -Damian Williams (Would fit perfectly in our offense. Elite route runner with great speed. Kind of like a faster version of Torry Holt.)
    -Dez Bryant (Great playmaker. Slower version of Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson.)
    -Jake Locker (Could be a franchise QB.)

-Trade down and maybe get Sean Weatherspoon?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    But still S-Jax is a factor back
    Factor back? Uh...Merrill is that you?

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Not at all. Jackson is currently averagung 20.6 carries per game. Only one back (Cedrick Benson) carries the ball more often. History has shown that, in the long run, backs who carry the ball 320+ times per year eventually wear down and lose productivity.

I'm not suggesting that Jackson should only carry the ball 10-15 times per game. Rather, I'd like to see a rotation in which Jackson averages 18-20 carries, while a guy like Spiller would get 10-12 carries. Spiller would also be used in the passing game, both out of the backfield and as a wideout. Heck... he could probably run the wildcat.

The key is that, the threat of a guy like Spiller (who is a one-seam and gone kind of guy) would only open things up more for Jackson.
    yea u may be right about could be worn down next year. But with a team with this many needs i don't think we are in any position to get the BPA and not address a need.

Also Top 5 pick only getting 10 carries a game? Talk about mid round value. Use him as a WR why not just draft a WR?

We run a no risk no reward offense i dont think we will put a wildcat formation.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

-Trade down and maybe get Sean Weatherspoon?
    We need a Mark Sanchez type situation to happen

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Factor back? Uh...Merrill is that you?
    Merril here a Factor Back is a guy that is a factor in the running back and a factor in the passing game... lol

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

1) Who do you think is the best player available now? (not particularly your choice)
    If Suh, Okung, Clausen, and Berry are off the table, then right now I'd have to say the BPA would probably either be Gerald McCoy or Jake Locker. Maybe Sam Bradford if he checks out healthy with no ill effects, but we won't know that until spring. Taylor Mays and Carlos Dunlap may be in the conversation as well, but I'll get to them later.

2) Would you take Sam Bradford? Or is he too much of a risk?
    I'd be very, very hesitant at this point. It's not as if the shoulder joint is Bradford's only injury in college, either. He had a hand issue the year before and then a concussion at one point. And he doesn't strike me as a guy who takes many hits in that system, so I think durability is a big concern. And if you're spending $60-70 million on a franchise QB, you want to make sure he's going to be on the field.

3) Is Tim Tebow worth a top 5 pick? If yes would you want him at #5?
    No way.

4) If we dont get the best QB should we settle for the 2nd best in Jake Locker? Does anyone else see Jamarcus Russel comparisons in Locker?
    There are some who would argue Locker is the best QB, not Clausen.

I've not heard Locker compared to Russell though. Care to elaborate?

5) Is Gerald McCoy worth a top 5 eventhough he won't do much vs. the run? Would you take him over a franchise QB?
    McCoy is second on his team and tied for 16th in the nation with 12 tackles for loss this season. I'm not sure it's accurate to say he won't do much versus the run. He's not a nose tackle or a 3-4 two-gapper, but he's very disruptive.

Whether or not you take him over a potential franchise QB depends on how you grade both players. If McCoy's evaluations are significantly better than the best available QB, then that's a strong argument in his favor.

6) Should any of the 2010 WRs even be mentioned as a top 5 pick?
    I think Dez Bryant, even having been suspended for the season, is hanging around in discussions simply because of how talented and elusive he is. He remains in Kiper's top ten on his Big Board, and with a strong offseason showing and good interviews, he could certainly be in the mix to go in the top five if a team wants a receiver. I'm not incredibly familiar with the details of his suspension, but it doesn't sound like an incredibly serious infraction, and if NFL personnel are satisfied, he'll still probably go relatively high. If he doesn't interview or test well in the spring, he'll slip. Besides Bryant, I'm not sure there's another receiver in the Top Five discussion right now.

7) Any other good players with value at pick 5 that are not a QB or DT?
    Some will argue Carlos Dunlap, but I'm nervous about highly regarded Florida defensive ends. And I don't think Dunlap has had the kind of season, from a consistency standpoint, that you'd like to see. There's a lot to like about Taylor Mays, but do you spend a Top Five pick on a safety who doesn't make a lot of big plays? Eric Berry I think gives you a more dynamic option at safety, even though his '09 season has been a bit down for him as well.

8) Who would you take if Clausen and Suh are off the board?
    Right now, either McCoy or Locker. Eric Berry, if available, might be the darkhorse on my list.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade

Also Top 5 pick only getting 10 carries a game? Talk about mid round value. Use him as a WR why not just draft a WR?
    You're missing the point.

Its not how many "carries" he'd get, its how many "touches." If he were to get 10 carries, 5 receptions, and 5 kick/punt returns per game, that's 20 touches. How many touches would even a top WR get? 7...? 8...?

I'm not saying he (or anyone else) is my definite pick yet. I'm just saying he's in the discussion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12