Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

2010 Draft Questions: How early and often do we address the D-Line?

So now more and more "mock offseasons" are coming in so i decided instead of putting news ones out and letting people say what they think why not just ask what people want instead of wasting all that time.

So here are the question:

1) Do we keep Little?

2) If not do we move Long to Left End?

3) Should we trade Cariker for a mid round draft pick?

4) Do we sign a big name DL free agent or sign various low level depth DL-men or we dont address the DL at all in FA?

5) Does our old regimes failures affect us drafting a 1st round DL? (do the Cariker/ Damione Lewis/ Ryan Pickett/ Chris Long (not a bust) have an effect on our decision to take a DL in the 1st)?

6) If we dont get a good DL in FA how often do we go for DL in the first 5 rounds?

Easy way to answer just copy and paste this and make corrections:

1) Should we keep Little? Yes / No

2) If no should we move Long to LE? Yes / No

3) Should Carriker be traded for a mid-rounder? Yes / NO

4) The way we address DL in FA is... (your answer here)

5) Does our old regime 1st round DL failure effect the 2010 draft? Yes / NO

6) We should draft a DL as early as (Your answer here) round and we should at least get (Your answer here) # of DL through the first 5 rounds.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: 2010 Draft Questions: How early and often do we address the D-Line?

1) Should we keep Little? no clue yet, It all depends on Long

2) If no should we move Long to LE? Yes, good run stopper should up pass rush stats

3) Should Carriker be traded for a mid-rounder? Who is going to offer us that? Carriker really hasn't done anything, Spoon got us a 5th and a player. Carriker isn't getting us more than that. He really didn't get a chance to play in this system spags likes his lineman and I think is more talented than some of the guys on a roster put in the rotation he is playing less snaps less injury risk.

4) The way we address DL in FA is... Go after a DT guys like Barry Cofield, Tony Brown, and Marcus Spears top my list

5) Does our old regime 1st round DL failure effect the 2010 draft? It can't it is a new era, Spags loves DL can't stop him.

6) We should draft a DL as early as round 2 and we should at least get 1 of DL through the first 5 rounds.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Lots of questions but permit me to concentrate on no. 6. Since the Rams run a 4-3 and- from all appearances considering that both Spags and Flajole are 4-3 guys- it is readily apparent we will continue to do so, a penetrating, get-up-the-field type a D Tackle is essential for this type of defense to ever hope to be effective. We have not had that kind of DT since the halcyon days of DeMarco Farr.

Therefore the player I'm targeting at this point is Ndamakong Suh of Nebraska. And if he is not available, Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma is also on my radar screen.

I just don't see any of the current crop of QBs elevating their stock to the level of a top 3 pick. And I am not about to reach for one, so I am leaning toward drafting a D Tackle that can make our 4-3 dominating.

Hmmm...this is probably not the time to bring up that if we had drafted Glen Dorsey like we should have we would be in a much better position today. That's a subject for a differnet thread I suppose.

WHAT SAY YE?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Lots of questions but permit me to concentrate on no. 6. Since the Rams run a 4-3 and- from all appearances considering that both Spags and Flajole are 4-3 guys- it is readily apparent we will continue to do so, a penetrating, get-up-the-field type a D Tackle is essential for this type of defense to ever hope to be effective. We have not had that kind of DT since the halcyon days of DeMarco Farr.

Therefore the player I'm targeting at this point is Ndamakong Suh of Nebraska. And if he is not available, Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma is also on my radar screen.

I just don't see any of the current crop of QBs elevating their stock to the level of a top 3 pick. And I am not about to reach for one, so I am leaning toward drafting a D Tackle that can make our 4-3 dominating.

Hmmm...this is probably not the time to bring up that if we had drafted Glen Dorsey like we should have we would be in a much better position today. That's a subject for a differnet thread I suppose.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Dorsey hasn't done anything and the conversation would just switch to drafting a DE instead.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

1) Should we keep Little? Yes, let him retire a ram if he doesn't ask for big money

2) If no should we move Long to LE? n/a we keep little, if he leaves then yes

3) Should Carriker be traded for a mid-rounder? yes, we cant keep mr. glass any longer

4) The way we address DL in FA is... no dl in free agency, their better be someone like mario williams if we are going after a dl in free agency

5) Does our old regime 1st round DL failure effect the 2010 draft? no, new regime have faith

6) We should draft a DL as early as 2nd round and we should at least get 2 of DL through the first 5 rounds. Need a good DT and a de with some potential
    Last edited by 01d 0rd3r; -11-04-2009 at 01:34 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Address it with Suh in the first round!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Was Suh the one at Nebraska who got pulled over for DWI last week?

general counsel is offline Registered User

It was not a DUI. It was a traffic accident. His blood alcohol was .o3, well below the legal limit of .08. He swerved to avoid killing a dog. He is going to sit out a series or two vs oklahoma for being out at 2am, coach said being out that late was bad judgment, but that the crash was an accident and alcohol was not a factor.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Oh cool. Down here they are saying his alcohol level was 0.35

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Dorsey hasn't done anything and the conversation would just switch to drafting a DE instead.
    The main reason Dorsey "hasn't done anything" is because he is being grossly misused as a DE in a 3-4 system instead of playing the under tackle position in the 4-3 like he should.

Therefore his stats are going to be skewed and it will appear that he is not getting the job done.

At least Long is playing the proper position that he was drafted for, and it could also be said that he isn't doing much either.

So what is his excuse?

WHAT SAY YE?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    So now more and more "mock offseasons" are coming in so i decided instead of putting news ones out and letting people say what they think why not just ask what people want instead of wasting all that time.

So here are the question:

1) Do we keep Little?
    Depends on how much money he wants.
    2) If not do we move Long to Left End?
    They should do that whether or not Little is back.

3) Should we trade Cariker for a mid round draft pick?
    Not sure he'd have any trade value given his health.

4) Do we sign a big name DL free agent or sign various low level depth DL-men or we dont address the DL at all in FA?
    If we're going to spend big $ on a defensive FA, I'd rather it be Thomas Davis.

5) Does our old regimes failures affect us drafting a 1st round DL? (do the Cariker/ Damione Lewis/ Ryan Pickett/ Chris Long (not a bust) have an effect on our decision to take a DL in the 1st)?
    No.

6) If we dont get a good DL in FA how often do we go for DL in the first 5 rounds?
    Probably twice, though I doubt it will be in the first round.

If we drafted Dorsey, we wouldn't have a DE. If we drafted Long, we wouldn't have a DT.

Talk about a dang if you do, dang if you don't.

Ramkokopelli is offline Registered User

Is this cart before the horse? Who will be Head Coach, GM and Director of Player Personnel next year? Will Chip and Lucia finally get out of our misery and sell the Rams so more effective and caring people will be at the helm, and then it can all trickle down? Thinking about the D is nice, but let's make changes where it will really count, first. We need a change in ownership; we need owners who are involved on a daily basis rather than letting the organization flap around like a tumbleweed in the wind.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Who will be Head Coach, GM and Director of Player Personnel next year?
    I'm just spitballing here, but I'll go with (in order).....Steve Spagnuolo, Billy Devaney, and Mike Williams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

1) probably not. if he's willing to play for less money and be a situational/3rd down pass rusher yes.

2) yes

3) if possible, but i doubt it is

4) from what i've seen there isn't that much to be had. if there's a top-notch guy no older than his mid-20's i'd try to sign him up.

5) to some extent, yes. i like long as a left end but we still need an elite pass rusher on the right side, and a tackle that can bring pressure up the middle. we haven't been able to find those guys yet.

6) i would love to draft one in the first round. at the same time i understand how badly we need a new qb so i wouldn't be upset with a locker or clausen pick in round 1. either way, unless we get a free agent we probably need two more starting linemen, so i would say at least twice in the first 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast