Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
    rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: 2010 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Marquis Johnson

Not much info on the guy he was a backup in 09. From cbssports.

Marquis Johnson stepped up his play as a junior and served as Alabama's third cornerback in nickel and dime defensive packages added strength and speed has helped the Sarasota, Fla., native move up the depth chart played in all 14 games with three starts against Western Kentucky, Florida in the SEC Championship Game and Utah in the Allstate Sugar Bowl recorded 49 tackles on the year, which ranked sixth on the team had two interceptions, a tackle for loss (-4) and five pass breakups in 2008. Clemson: Johnson snared his first career interception off a tipped pass and returned it seven yards was second on the team with five total tackles, including four solo stops. Tulane: He made two solo tackles in the Tide's 20-6 win over the Green Wave and also recorded a pass breakup. Western Kentucky: Johnson made one solo tackle in his first start of his career against the Hilltoppers the one tackle was a TFL for minus-4 yards. Arkansas: He was a regular for the Crimson Tide who played a lot of nickel and dime defense against Arkansas' spread passing attack logged five tackles, including three solo tackles intercepted his second pass of the season on the Razorbacks first play of the second half, setting up Glen Coffee's 31-yard touchdown run two plays later. Georgia: Johnson registered three solo tackles and broke up a pass in the Crimson Tide's 41-30 win at No. 3 Georgia. Kentucky: He made four tackles - three solo - while forcing the Wildcats' into 22 incompletions. Mississippi: Johnson notched three tackles, including one solo stop in the Tide's 24-20 win over Mississippi. Tennessee: He made one assisted tackle and broke up a Nick Stephens' pass in a 29-9 win over the Volunteers. Arkansas State: Johnson made one solo tackle in a 35-0 win over the Red Wolves aided a defense that surrendered just 67 yards passing and 158 total yards. LSU: He made a career-high six tackles against LSU in the Tide's 27-21 overtime win in Death Valley helped an Alabama secondary that intercepted four passes and broke up four more passes. Mississippi State: Johnson was third on the team with five tackles against the Bulldogs has a combined 11 tackles against LSU and MSU also broke up a Tyson Lee pass as the Tide defense surrendered just 167 total yards. Auburn: He did not have a tackle but did breakup a pass and record a quarterback hurry helped the Tide hold the Tigers to just 113 yards passing and 170 total yards. Florida: Johnson made four tackles made his second career start with the Tide opening in a nickel formation against the Gators' spread offense. Sugar Bowl vs. Utah: He started his second straight game and third of the season, making a team-high and career-best nine tackles in the Sugar Bowl, including seven solo stops.

YouTube - Marquis Johnson pass break up

Just Fix It

Re: Fire Billy Devaney

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    I was going to make a long argument for this. The guy clearly has no vision on how to draft and put pieces in place to build a successful football team. The QB's he has drafted are laughable, the fact that they have cut so many players in the past 2 yrs to "get younger" and now bringing in Brian Westbrook for a visit really says it all IMO. My gosh, it is that pathetic.

I have gone on and said that I feel Bradford is the best QB to come out in several years; however the situation he was brought into he is doomed to fail. Everyone knew he was coming out this year, back during the 09 draft, and we would be needing a QB this year. I argued numerous times last year that it was in our best interest to go WR (Crabtree) first round, and O-line 2nd around to have the pieces in place. Last years draft set this organization another year behind.

When you look at the fact that Billy Devaney tried trading back into the first round to draft "the QB on defense" in James Laurinaitis it signaled what should've been a commitment to completely build the defense, with him and Long in place when little animal fell to them in the 2nd round. A QB needs a #1 WR in place to be successful or a multi-back RB's to "manage" the game. Bradford isn't a manage the game type. For that, they'd have been better off getting someone else if that's the direction that the Rams want to go. For a QB like Bradford to get the most out of him and his high draft pick status you are going to have to give him serious weapons, which Billy Devaney doesn't know how to find. It takes WR's 2-3 yrs to develop. Mardy Gilyard is another #3 or 4 WR that will never be a team's #1...this team is LOADED with such players at the WR. It is another wasted pick! By the time this team can be turned around, Chris Long and James Laurinaitis will be tired of losing and moved on to other teams, so the previous 2 yrs picks will have been a complete waste as well.

I'm sorry, but I don't drink the kool-aid. It would be a lot easier for me to be a 9'er fan since they have done EVERYTHING right in the last 3 drafts, as I would've done them. They are going to completely OWN the NFC West for the next 4 years. Mark it down, and the Rams have done nothing to contend with them in anyway! But I'm an LA kinda guy...Lakers, Dodgers, and for all 29 yrs of my life Rams up until Thursday night...now I'm officially a San Diego Charger fan (until another team moves to LA anyway) and love the addition of Ryan Matthews as I've seen him play at Fresno State a mere 45 mins. away. And as far as the comment about the door hitting me on the way out...I'm completely aware of my surroundings, unlike the majority that just put blind faith in an organization and don't see what's going on around 'em. 'Nuff said.
    The Niners have done nothing to improve their qb position. Alex Smith downright stinks the joint up. The Niners have no more of a power running game then we do at this point and we have a qb. Before Robinson got hurt last year he looked great at wr. If your so fed up then go be a battery chucking Whiner fan. Oh and like being a Charger fan is going to make you any happier. They get to the playoffs only to choke every freaking year. Blind faith? Who has won a Superbowl more recently the Chargers or the Rams? Thats right the team we are all putting blind faith in. Theres nothing that pisses me off more then someone who jumps off the wagon because they cant hanlde the tough times. If you were a fan through the 80's and early 90's how did you ever manage to stay a Rams fan? Or did them winning a Superbowl bring you back aboard? Rebuilding takes time how good have the Niners been the last 6 years? They have been trying to rebuild ever since Steve Young left. Give me a freakiing break either go be a fan of another team or suck it up and watch this team improve.
    Just Fix It

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Re: whats left for round 7

I would like the rams to take a LB at some point here, surprised they havent taken one yet.

Jamar Chaney, Dekoda Watson, Simoni Lawrence all look good to me

berg8309 is offline Registered User

now I'm officially a San Diego Charger fan (until another team moves to LA anyway) and love the addition of Ryan Matthews as I've seen him play at Fresno State a mere 45 mins. away. And as far as the comment about the door hitting me on the way out...I'm completely aware of my surroundings, unlike the majority that just put blind faith in an organization and don't see what's going on around 'em. 'Nuff said.
    I hate losing rams fans....but try not to let the door hit you.

George Selvie cbssports.com

Overview
    Selvie has been a thorn in the side of quarterbacks since he put on a uniform for the Bulls after a redshirt season in 2005, but his production has declined over the past three years, dropping his stock from probable first-round pick to possible top-100 selection.

The team's defensive rookie of the year in 2006, Selvie had an incredible 84 tackles, including 14.5 for loss, and 5.5 sacks as he started each of USF's 13 games. As a sophomore, Selvie became a household name, leading the nation with 31.5 tackles for loss. His 14.5 sacks were also among the most in the country, earning him first-team All-Big East and numerous All-American accolades.

Selvie struggled through a high ankle sprain for a good portion of his junior seasons. His physical limitations didn't help him attack offensive blocking schemes designed to slow him down and Selvie numbers dropped across the board 43 tackles, 14.5 TFLs and 4.5 sacks. He made even less of an impact on the stat sheet in 2009, with 42 tackles, 9.5 TFL, and 3.5 sacks.

Most NFL teams consider Selvie a defensive end-linebacker 'tweener probably best used as a third-down rush end and not strong or fluid enough in space to transition to 3-4 linebacker. His 4.93 40 and other average Combine test results give credence to those views. It's possible he might not hear his name called until the middle rounds.

Analysis
    Pass rush: Tall and thin-hipped with exceptional quickness off the snap. Turns the corner in a hurry against lesser tackles. Typically lines up wide to keep tackles from latching on early. Can be a one-trick pony with the outside rush, so tackles easily push him around the pocket. Will occasionally fake outside and head inside to keep tackle off balance -- but should do that more often. Tries to bull rush occasionally, but it's not his strength. Splits double teams to pressure the quarterback, and can keep running backs off his knees. Quick leaping ability and good awareness to knock down passes thrown in his direction. Stiff hips prevent him from being as effective as he could be on inside moves and twists.

Run defense: Willing to throw his body into run plays but lacks the strength to anchor or get off blocks from NFL-caliber left tackles. Can make plays against tight ends on the edge, ripping off or using his speed. Chases plays from behind if tackle doesn't block down. Will hustle around the line and downfield, if needed, to drag down running backs. Inconsistent keeping containment on bootlegs and misdirection. A bit high-cut and lacks great hip flexibility and lateral movement, preventing him from changing direction on the edge as quickly as one would like. That may be an issue if trying to play linebacker at the next level.

Explosion: Can be very quick off the snap, combining get-off and length to gain the edge. Also owns excellent closing speed, making him a very good chase player. Fires into a blocker quickly against the run or on a bull rush but has only average pop.

Strength: Plays stronger than expected at less than 250 pounds, but is still not adept at disengaging from aggressive linemen to get to the edge. Rips off tight end blocks, but he won't be pushing NFL tackles into the pocket or anchoring consistently against the run.

Tackling: Long arms and closing speed makes it difficult for ballcarriers to escape his grasp, despite his lanky frame. Excellent chase and hustle to reach runners down the line or downfield, and rarely whiffs. Mostly a drag-down tackler who leans into the ballcarrier, rather than sinking his hips and exploding into him. Will explode into quarterback, however, if given the chance.

Intangibles: Works hard throughout the game, no matter how often he's double-teamed. Played through pain during most of 2008. Team leader who charges up his teammates with big plays on the field.

2009 Season
    One of the most decorated players in BIG EAST history and the only two-time All-American in USF history Named to the All-BIG EAST First Team by Phil Steele A semi-finalist for every major national defensive award The NCAA active career leader in tackles for loss and among the top five in sacks Piled up 69.5 tackles for loss in his career and was 5.5 shy of tying the NCAA career record Also has 29 career sacks Seventh on the team with 42 tackles during the 2009 campaign Second on the team with 9.5 tackles for loss and third with 3.5 sacks Also forced a fumble and recovered a fumble Starter, played and served as a captain in every game.

Five of his 9.5 tackles for loss came against ranked opponents Marquee performance with two tackles for loss, one sack and three quarterback hurries in defeated of No. 19 Florida State Owns the USF record for most forced fumbles with nine Made 50 career starts, more than any other USF player, and stand second with 51 games played Earned the team's Lee Roy Selmon Award and the Defensive Front Seven Award.

2008 Season
    Will enter the 2009 season as the nation's leader in career tackles for loss and second in career sacks Led all NCAA players in career tackles for loss throughout his junior season Already the USF career leader in tackles for loss and sacks Became the first two-time, first team All-American in USF history when he was selected by the American Football Coaches Association Also a second-team All-American according to the Walter Camp Foundation A consensus first team All-BIG EAST selection Tallied 43 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks Set opponents back 72 yards on TFL and 38 yards on sacks TFL numbers came while facing a double team on 79 percent of running plays Sack total was achieved while squaring off against double team 53 percent of the time Played in 12 games and started 11, but really missed the majority of three games with a right ankle sprain Also forced one fumble and logged two fumble recoveries A late-season candidate for the Nagurski Award, Hendricks Award, Lombardi and Lott trophies Registered at least a tackle for loss in nine games Single-game best four tackles for loss and two sacks against Louisville Also had multiple TFL against FIU and West Virginia.

2007 Season
    Consensus First Team All-American (AFCA, AP, ESPN.com, FWAA, Walter Camp, Rivals, CBSSportsline.com) 2007 BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year Followed in footsteps of Warren Sapp, Terrell Suggs and Julius Peppers by winning the Bill Willis Award, which is given annually to the top defensive lineman by the Touchdown Club of Columbus Named Tampa Amateur Male Athlete of the Year by the Sports Club of Tampa Bay Also a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Posted the greatest defensive season in USF history Led the country with 31.5 tackles for loss and needed just one more to break the NCAA record TFL total established a new USF and BIG EAST single-season records Also ranks second in sacks with 14.5 after leading the country in the category for the majority of the season Tied for the USF career record with 20 sacks through 26 career games Collected three or more TFL in six games 59 total tackles, 46 solo, three forced fumbles, 13 quarterback hurries and one blocked kick Established USF single game records with six tackles for loss and four sacks in the season opener against Elon Didn't slow down the next week with 3.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks against Auburn Named Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week after recording five TFL and three sacks in a win against North Carolina Collected eight tackles, two for loss, and one sack in win over West Virginia Also had four TFL outings against UCF and Cincinnati, while collecting three against Syracuse.

2006 Season
    Started all 13 games at right end and led all linemen (third overall on team) with 84 tackles, 15 for loss and 5.5 sacks Eight tackles, including 3.5 for loss, a nine-yard TD recovery and a forced fumble in the WVU (Nov. 25) win Season-high 10 tackles at Cincinnati (Oct. 22) Two sacks vs. Florida International (Sept. 9) Nine tackles in wins over FIU (Sept. 9) and North Carolina (Oct. 14) USF's Defensive Rookie of the Year.

YouTube - DE George Selvie Highlights/Lowlights 2009/2008 USF

YouTube - South Florida DE George Selvie Official Highlight Reel
    Last edited by rammiser; -04-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Just Fix It

realchamp11 is offline Registered User

dorin dickerson

just wondering..what was the knock on dorin dickerson? IMO i think him and Fendi Onobun have a very similar skill set but dickerson has more experience

:1:PLAY EVER SNAP LIKE IT YOUR LAST!!!:1:

Re: dorin dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by realchamp11 View Post
    just wondering..what was the knock on dorin dickerson? IMO i think him and Fendi Onobun have a very similar skill set but dickerson has more experience
    Well it appears Dickerson isnt a very good blocker and the Rams picked up much bigger tight ends with just as much speed. Dickerson weighs in at 226 and is not a good blocker Onobun weighs in at 250. Thats my only guess and the fact that the Rams seem to like Fells as our pass catching te may be another reason.
    Just Fix It

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Maybe we should take a flyer on a local Missouri guy. His biggest knock has been injuries but he is a big pass catcher which is what I would like. How about Danario Alexander to end our draft.

Alexander 6'5 215 13 Games last year 1781 Yards 14 TDs and nearly 16 yards per catch.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

How about LeGarrette Blount? He did well in the senior bowl and would give the rams a good back up to Jackson

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I think he has issues but way too much talent at this point to pass on. Let's get him.

Not once did the Rams pick my first choice. I would venture to say rarely did they hit on who the fans or experts thought they should take after round 1. Overall rounds 1-4 are not bad I did not like the following rounds.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I was going to make a long argument for this. The guy clearly has no vision on how to draft and put pieces in place to build a successful football team. The QB's he has drafted are laughable, the fact that they have cut so many players in the past 2 yrs to "get younger" and now bringing in Brian Westbrook for a visit really says it all IMO. My gosh, it is that pathetic.

I have gone on and said that I feel Bradford is the best QB to come out in several years; however the situation he was brought into he is doomed to fail. Everyone knew he was coming out this year, back during the 09 draft, and we would be needing a QB this year. I argued numerous times last year that it was in our best interest to go WR (Crabtree) first round, and O-line 2nd around to have the pieces in place. Last years draft set this organization another year behind.

When you look at the fact that Billy Devaney tried trading back into the first round to draft "the QB on defense" in James Laurinaitis it signaled what should've been a commitment to completely build the defense, with him and Long in place when little animal fell to them in the 2nd round. A QB needs a #1 WR in place to be successful or a multi-back RB's to "manage" the game. Bradford isn't a manage the game type. For that, they'd have been better off getting someone else if that's the direction that the Rams want to go. For a QB like Bradford to get the most out of him and his high draft pick status you are going to have to give him serious weapons, which Billy Devaney doesn't know how to find. It takes WR's 2-3 yrs to develop. Mardy Gilyard is another #3 or 4 WR that will never be a team's #1...this team is LOADED with such players at the WR. It is another wasted pick! By the time this team can be turned around, Chris Long and James Laurinaitis will be tired of losing and moved on to other teams, so the previous 2 yrs picks will have been a complete waste as well.

I'm sorry, but I don't drink the kool-aid. It would be a lot easier for me to be a 9'er fan since they have done EVERYTHING right in the last 3 drafts, as I would've done them. They are going to completely OWN the NFC West for the next 4 years. Mark it down, and the Rams have done nothing to contend with them in anyway! But I'm an LA kinda guy...Lakers, Dodgers, and for all 29 yrs of my life Rams up until Thursday night...now I'm officially a San Diego Charger fan (until another team moves to LA anyway) and love the addition of Ryan Matthews as I've seen him play at Fresno State a mere 45 mins. away. And as far as the comment about the door hitting me on the way out...I'm completely aware of my surroundings, unlike the majority that just put blind faith in an organization and don't see what's going on around 'em. 'Nuff said.
    Shut up.

Go enjoy the Chargers buddy.

I can't even begin to understand how you can just change your loyalty like that...

Maybe in a few years when we start kicking butt, you'll start making appearances here again. Sheesh.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Not once did the Rams pick my first choice. I would venture to say rarely did they hit on who the fans or experts thought they should take after round 1. Overall rounds 1-4 are not bad I did not like the following rounds.
    What was wrong with them? It's rounds 5-7, we aren't exactly talking cream of the crop guys here. I was glad to see them take some chances on guys with high potential instead of trying to fill their 3rd string depth chart out.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    But, the thing is, I highly doubt Spags and Devaney will pick someone just becuase the fans think that is the right pick...

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    But, the thing is, I highly doubt Spags and Devaney will pick someone just becuase the fans think that is the right pick...
    Really I never thought of that genius. I was just stating that a lot of their picks were not what the majority of people saw as the best fit for the team. Most of the picks after round #1 where not in many fans top 3 list of who they should choose. I am not saying they did anything wrong its just the most against the grain draft I have seen in a long time.

I know the Rams wont pick who the fans want as they shouldn't. They should always do what is best for the team in their opinion. Obviously what the Rams prior regimes thought was best for the team was actually wrong for the team. We may have been better picking names out of a hat. We have been one of the worst drafting teams for a while now not including last year yet. That is why we went from the GSOT to being a one win team. It will take a few years to decide if the new regime made the right choices or not. But its never to early for a fan that wants his team to get better to say who they think would be best in their opinion. If you took the decision makers from all the other teams and had them making decisions for the Rams in this draft I am sure it would have been a much different looking draft after the first round because of what they perceive as best for the team.

Actually even though they didn't pick a player that was in my top 3 when they were on the clock in rounds 2-4 I feel okay with the first four picks. After that I thought there was still proven players in college with value and upside on the board that we passed on. We needed to give ourselves thet chance to hit on players in every round and not pass on value with upside. Teams that are good can take chances when you are a one win team you need to pick value with upside late IMO.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-24-2010 at 09:47 PM.