Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    molar_pistol is offline Registered User

Re: 2010 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    For those lamenting passing on Suh, rather than taking him and then waiting on Clausen (I guess the Rams' Front Office is supposed to have ESP), I have one question...

If Clausen is, in fact, a "franchise QB," then why is he still on the board?

Clearly, NFL GMs saw something in Clausen that they didn't like.
    there were only a few teams this year with a real need at qb..we've seen this before, this doesn't mean that clausen isn't a legitimate qb or that he should be valued at far less then he was yesterday.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

I have one question...

If Clausen is, in fact, a "franchise QB," then why is he still on the board?

Clearly, NFL GMs saw something in Clausen that they didn't like.
    Just like every NFL GM was right in passing on Tom Brady until the sixth round. And Joe Montana until the third. And Kurt Warner....

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Agree with Avenger. Hindsight is 20/20.

there is a reason why Clausen and McCoy are still there.
    Yes there's a reason they are there. No one needed a QB over another need. Sheeesh...this logic that somehow we escaped doom because other teams passed on Clausen and McCoy so we shouldn't take them in the second after picking Suh flies in the face that Joe Montana was passed over by many teams, as was Brady....gee...how did they turn out? There are many such examples of QB's that were drafted in the later rounds become hall of fame QB's. I didn't want Bradford because of his susceptibility to injury to his throwing shoulder. He was hit by relatively light weight college players that tore up his shoulder. Wait till he gets hit by NFL size players, and he will, that are much bigger and hit much harder. So Clausen came in a limo. So what? Such shallow assessment over the expert reviews of experts that say Clausen is more ready to play NFL football than Bradford, and McCoy's recognized talent made picking Suh in the first and get one them with the second a safe bet and better scenerio in rebuilding this team. Suh would have greatly improved our defense. Freeing up Long for pass rush, and our linebackers getting less attention from the other team's offensive linemen would benefit our offense as well.
    Yes, it's hindsight, but a legitimate observation none the less.
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-23-2010 at 07:51 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Just like every NFL GM was right in passing on Tom Brady until the sixth round. And Joe Montana until the third. And Kurt Warner....
    That's a lame argument. If I were to list every QB who was CORRECTLY passed on in the first round, the list would be so long it would crash this site.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Yes there's a reason they are there. No one needed a QB over another need.
    By that logic, if Clausen is Bradford's equal, then Bradford too would have fallen to Round 2 if the Rams had passed on him. You can't possibly believe that.

I think its pretty clear that if the Rams had passed on Bradford, Washington, Cleveland, Seattle or Buffalo would have taken him with a Top 10 pick. Those teams did not, however, take Clausen. So, I guess those teams agree that Bradford is a significantly better prospect.

bikearch is offline Registered User

Bradford is a good pick, but the payoff if any will not be evident until they fill the holes in the oline and d. Also with their spread o they really need to either put the dude in the shotgun or work in lots of 3 step drop routes and quick progression reads, aka, the west coast. They need more speed in the wideouts, and te/rb that can get seperation underneath. what They really need another marshall faulk type back, multi threat, for their offense.

I
    Last edited by bikearch; -04-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not a fan of the "There's a reason ___________ is available in the second round" argument as a means of criticizing a prospect. There are only 32 picks in the first round. Inherently, that means some players are going to get passed on.

That doesn't mean they're bad players or that they can't make an impact at the next level. It just means that the teams making the first 32 picks preferred other guys, which could have happened for a variety of reasons. Look at the Patriots. They don't appear to mind picking up these second round guys who slipped for a reason, since they took four in last year's draft and have three second round picks this year.

If the argument is that Clausen's availability in the second round demonstrates that Bradford was the better prospect, you'll get no argument from me. Even with my concerns about Sam, I viewed him as the best quarterback in this class.

But if the implication is that, since Clausen slipped to the second round, he's chopped liver and isn't a franchise QB at the next level, then I think that's a projection at best. I doubt a team is going to take Clausen in the second round, perhaps trading up to do so, if they don't envision him developing into their franchise QB or QB of the future.

When the Rams select one of these guys in the second round, we're probably all going to hope that he becomes a valuable and productive player for us. But there's a reason he's available in the second round as well - teams didn't grade him highly enough to be worth one of their first round picks. Doesn't mean he can't be successful or become a valuable part of a team.

Heck, just look at our second round pick last year, James Laurinaitis. I guess there was a reason he was available in last year's second round as well, but I'm sure most everyone on this board is thankful for that!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

shower beers is offline Registered User

By that logic, if Clausen is Bradford's equal, then Bradford too would have fallen to Round 2 if the Rams had passed on him. You can't possibly believe that.

I think its pretty clear that if the Rams had passed on Bradford, Washington, Cleveland, Seattle or Buffalo would have taken him with a Top 10 pick. Those teams did not, however, take Clausen. So, I guess those teams agree that Bradford is a significantly better prospect.

Good point. It became public knowledge that Cleveland was high on Sam Bradford. Does that mean Haden would still have been the pick if we in fact, picked Suh or McCoy?

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I have my reservations about Bradford. But if we're going to select him, you've got to surround him with some talent.

I'd like to see Golden Tate come off the board next. I like the way he plays the game, and the toughness that he brings.

With my homer pick I would really like to see Mike Johnson there with our third rounder. He's got good size for a guard and was the best offensive lineman on Alabama's team last year. He's best in the run game but is an adequate pass blocker who will get better over time. Also has played tackle so hes has the versatility to slide out if needed. Would be a solid pickup at some point today.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Are we in any of the albert haynsworth talks today?

peramoure is offline Registered User

There's a lot of O lineman in the draft.. I don't know why we didn't trade down and get the kid from Maryland.. initial reaction - eh.

peramoure is offline Registered User

I would have rather Kindle, Griffen, Price, something on the Defensive side of the ball or a Golden Tate type guy. Oh well.

richtree is offline Registered User

2 things...

1. We better have the one of the best Oline in football for 5 years or more with that pick and all the money tied up in there.

2. We better trade up if Tate or Benn slip past 45-47 area...

sheesh....

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

interesting..we have needs on the o line for sure, and this guy's talented, but there was a lot of talent on the board and probably options to trade down...interesting..

RockinRam is offline Registered User

The Bucs now have the best D-Line in the NFL. Holy sheesh.