View Poll Results: Do you think we should invest in Franchise QB in this years Top 6 pick?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, take a Qb in Round 1 -- in the top 6 picks

13 36.11%
  • No, take a Qb in round 2/ free agency/ or draft up to round 1 later

23 63.89%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    punahou is offline Registered User

Re: 2010 NFL Draft / Free Agent QB Not in round 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    at this point that is my top 3 of who id pick...i dont see us picking 1st overall.

i like Bryant...i believe he is the B.P.A at a position of need.

its debatable on who the best DT is..i believe McCoy has better upside than the Nebraska boy..but i wouldn`t grumble over taking Suh either..

Dunlap is a bit of an afterthought where ive just thought of a good DE prospect to add into the mix. i wouldnt mind changing him for someone else.
    yay to Bryant

nay to anymore Nebraska Dlineman-- surely Dlineman abide at other schools and conferences=P

as far as QBS..... I think that Lockear will be the bestt the draft has to offer. He isnt as touted because he as poor talent around him.
    Last edited by punahou; -10-21-2009 at 08:45 PM.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Dez Bryant is suspended. Which means he does not play anymore, which definitely hurts his stock. When he sits out for the rest of the season, does that warrant him a top 5 pick? Especially if he's going to be out that long?

So, if we do not trade down, it's fair to say that we will not be drafting Dez Bryant with our first round, top 5 pick.

Hopefully Devanney lives up to his past draft mantras and trades down for more draft picks. I dont think there is a franchise QB in this draft.

Let's trade down, get 1sr round picks, and take Mr Bryant with one of them.

LOL in fact what if we got Dez Bryant and Arellious Ben.....

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Hopefully Devanney lives up to his past draft mantras and trades down for more draft picks. I dont think there is a franchise QB in this draft.

Let's trade down, get 1sr round picks, and take Mr Bryant with one of them.

LOL in fact what if we got Dez Bryant and Arellious Ben.....

If we do in fact get BOTH Bryant and Benn, hopefully that will quiet down all the Bulger haters when he throws lights out next year.

richtree is offline Registered User

If we do in fact get BOTH Bryant and Benn, hopefully that will quiet down all the Bulger haters when he throws lights out next year.
    That sounds fun, but we only need 1 WR in the draft.. A big WR that can block and make the catches in the middle of the field.

If we had 2 first round picks there is zero chance we pick 2 WR.

We would get a DE/OLB in one of those 2 picks.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I'm interested in Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma. Helps our offense which these days is offensive

Go Rams!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think 3 should only consider these 3 options in round 1 for a top 6 pick this off-season.

1. WR -- Dez Bryant type
    2. DE -- Outside rusher/freak atheltic type
    3. OL -- Sure it up for the QB
    There's an interesting, albeit slightly dated (April 2006) article on the football outsiders' website that I think relevant to this discussion. It involved an analysis of what rounds the league's starters came from.

Quote Originally Posted by football outsiders
    The quarterback position is especially top heavy. Exactly half of the starting QBs in the NFL (when this data was collected) were drafted in the first round. For whatever reason, the sixth round has been fairly lucrative, but pretty much anything after round one is a long shot.
    This would be fairly consistent with Nick's sampling of top QBs. However, it should be noted that even if only 50% of the league's starters at QB were first rounders, that's still a higher percentage than at any other position.

The histogram for WR1 is nearly identical to that of running backs. There's not much available after round four, first-rounders have a significantly greater success rate, and stars can be had in all of the first four rounds.
    This would seem to suggest that it is less imperative to draft a top wide receiver early. And although I don't have any particular numbers to back it up, it seems to me that first round receivers have a higher bust rate than other positions.

The offensive tackle histogram actually does not look particularly top-heavy, but a closer look reveals that most teams fill at least one of their tackle slots with an early round pick. Generally the top guy mans the left side, but that is not always the case. The key is that you need at least one guy on the edge who can be left in one-on-one situations and not need help.
    I think we've got that number one guy in Jason Smith, and I would guess that we would not spend a top pick on a right tackle.

Ultimately, I'd have to abstain from passing judgment on what position we should draft first without having a better idea of who the top candidates were individually, but if there is a premier quarterback prospect, I think we'd have to give him some serious consideration

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Dez Bryant is suspended. Which means he does not play anymore, which definitely hurts his stock. When he sits out for the rest of the season, does that warrant him a top 5 pick? Especially if he's going to be out that long?
    Dez Bryant has petitioned the NCAA for reinstatement. We don't know yet which way they'll come down. If they reinstate him, then he will play again this season. If they don't, he can still declare and participate at offseason functions. I'm sure NFL personnel people will love to hear him talk about what he's learned from this whole experience. I don't see his suspension drastically affecting his draft stock; his tape and test results will play bigger factors. Remember, time off the field didn't keep Andre Smith or Mike Williams from falling out of the top ten.

The point is that in October you just can't say anything about the draft in certain terms. A game or two into this season, I'm sure some Rams fans were already pre-ordering their Bradford jerseys. Now Bradford has a big red flag in his durability, and there doesn't appear to be one top, elite QB right now in this class. By April, maybe that changes. And that's the point. A lot can change between then and now, so speaking in absolutes in October makes little sense.

By the way, Kiper's October 21st Big Board has Bryant holding steady in the 9th overall spot; Sports Illustrated's October 22nd Top 50 list has Bryant at 6th overall.

richtree is offline Registered User

I agree you can't project particluar draft picks in identifying college players/prospects but you sure can determine the economic and competitive ramifications of taking a particluar position in a particluar round.

You can identify needs and flexiblity for the future. I actually really like the direction of the defense but offensively I don't know our direction yet. I think that will be determined.

I am hoping there are lots of young guys that will progress by week 17

#39 Fan Guest

I voted no, just because we need an immediate difference maker with the pick.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I voted no because IMO we have bigger concerns then QB. I dont like Bulger as the QB of the future but I think we have bigger concerns. IMO our WR's are horrid and cost us the game today. Our Defense has been playing as good as it possibly can for the lack of talent on that side of the ball. We have perhaps the worst WRs in the NFL and we have Little who should retire after the season and no pass rush from Long. We need a DE opposite Long that can get to the QB. Barron could also be gone which would require us to sign another OT.

Here is my top three positions of need.
    1. WR (Need a #1 WR not a roster full of #3 and #4 WRs)
    2. DE (Little gone and Long no sacks)
    3. OT (If Barron don't resign OR J. Smith struggles)
    4. QB
    5. OLB
    6. DT (Ryan is becoming a keeper could use another guy inside)
    6. CB (Bartell has been diappointing IMO. He has been below average. The other side is still a question mark)
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -10-26-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Major30 is offline Registered User

Nadamukong Suh fits what Spags is trying to do on the D line. He reminds me of those big athletic tackles the Giants have.♠

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12