eldfan is offline Registered User

2010 NFL Draft: The St. Louis Rams Are On The Clock

by Eddie Garrison Eddie Garrison
    Featured Columnist

Written on February 12, 2010

The St. Louis Rams had a season in 2009 I am sure they would rather soon forget. Finishing it out with a 1-15 record, the Rams have the first overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft.

The lone win coming at the expense of the Detroit Lions, who we will get to in another piece as they have the second overall pick in this year's draft.

But for now, we will keep our focus on the Rams.

The gateway city to the west gave up the second most points in the league last year allowing teams to score 436 points on them while only managing to score 175 points for themselves, a league low.

Though the Rams are in utter disarray and needing help on both sides of the ball, this year's draft seems to be lined with defensive talent and I believe that is where St. Louis will attempt to rebuild their team.

So let’s see what options the Rams may be eyeing in the top three rounds come April.

First Round: Ndamukong Suh—Nebraska

There is not much that has not been said about the 6-foot-4, 300-pound defensive tackle from Nebraska, but we'll give it a go anyway.

Suh is surprisingly agile and quick on his feet for a man this size. His great athletic ability allows him to fire off the ball quickly and get into the backfield to either disrupt the play or get a hit on the quarterback.

He actually started his career at Nebraska lined up over center as a nose tackle. He has experience firing off the ball low and using his size to take the advantage over a center or guard.

Suh also shows great vision of the field and awareness in the running game. He posses the size to disrupt zone blocking schemes and is very smooth at getting away from cut blocks.

He actually led the Cornhuskers last year in tackles, a rare feat for someone at defensive end. He has the needed athleticism to chase down and make open-field tackles as well.

Suh presents the Rams with something they can build their defense around much like the Texans did with Mario Williams a few years back. He is the best pick for them and worthy of the No. 1 overall pick.

Second Round: Everson Griffen—Southern California

Keeping the defensive theme going here in the second round, I believe the Rams will take a good long look at Everson Griffen, a defensive tackle from USC.

The 6-foot-3, 280-pound Griffen is much like Suh in that he moves very well for a man of his build. He moves nimbly and quickly in the trenches and moves down the line on runs away from his side low and with force.

He avoids cut blocks very easily with his hip movement and the way he runs light on his feet.

Against the run he is a very imposing force as he is extremely hard to move and sheds his blockers well. He moves very fast on run plays and most of the time can get from one side of the tackle box to the other before the running back hits the line of scrimmage.

Although Griffen did not fully develop at USC like many thought he would have, he did have his best season for the Trojans in 2009 and could be transforming into the player everyone thought he would be in college at the right time.

He would be a perfect fit for a team that is looking for a defensive end that is a proven run stopper but who can also get after it as well in the passing game.

The Rams need a player just like that and have found him in Everson Griffen.

Round Three: Dexter McCluster—Mississippi

Now I know what you are thinking, why would the Rams take a running back, a smaller running back at that when they have a big back like Steven Jackson?

Well, McCluster is more than just another running back. He has so much athleticism he can go out on receiving routes; he has good hands and can be a huge boost for St. Louis in the return game.

See DeSean Jackson and Percey Harvin.

Now he may not tip the scales with his 5-foot-7, 165-pound frame, but he gets everything out of his body he possibly can and then some.

Watching him all week at the Senior Bowl he really impressed scouts with how physical of a runner he can actually be. He had no issues running between the tackles and looked good taking big hits as he used his lower center of gravity to deflect off of tacklers.

The Rams once had the "Greatest Show on Turf" and that show included some speed guys on offense including Issac Bruce, Torry Holt and Az Zahir Hakium. All of those guys had the gears once they were in open field to hit another speed and run away from most defenders.

McCluster could be another player to fit that mold in St. Louis. He shows great explosion all over the field no matter if he is lined up in the backfield or split out wide, he gives it 110 percent every play on the field.

So don't be surprised if the Rams take this little ball of hate in the third round of the draft.

Other Options

Second Round: Brian Price, defensive tackle UCLA. That is if he is not gone in the first round to someone like the Colts.

Third Round: Ryan Mathews, running back Fresno State. He may not fall this far as most mocks have him going in the second round. That is why I had the Rams taking McCluster in the third round.

:ramlogo:

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: 2010 NFL Draft: The St. Louis Rams Are On The Clock

I find it hard to believe if we go Suh we would use the second pick for another DT.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

My thoughts exactly. And for his "other options" section, it's a third DT..we have C. Ryan. So if this guy has his way, it's DT, DT RB regardless of the name after the position. I do like the McCluster in the 3rd if he's there.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I find it hard to believe if we go Suh we would use the second pick for another DT.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    My thoughts exactly. And for his "other options" section, it's a third DT..we have C. Ryan. So if this guy has his way, it's DT, DT RB regardless of the name after the position. I do like the McCluster in the 3rd if he's there.
    Griffen is a defensive end. I suspect the author identifying him as a "a defensive tackle from USC" was a typo. He acknowledges in his description that he'd play end for the Rams, saying that Griffen "would be a perfect fit for a team that is looking for a defensive end that is a proven run stopper but who can also get after it as well in the passing game."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I love Mccluster, he has big play ability.