richtree is offline Registered User

2010 Qb Comparisions (Who are they in the mold of?)

I have began trying to watch some tape of all of the potential Qb's in this Years Draft since any one of them could potenially be on the Rams. I thought it would be fun to compare them to a NFL QB. JUST TO BE CLEAR THIS IS NOT A COMPARISON OF TALENT LEVEL BUT SIMPLY WHO THEY REMIND YOU OFF IN LOOK, PLAYING STYLE, AND PHYICAL MAKE UP.

I will list each QB that I have watched some film of and a quick 1 or 2 sentence on each. If anyone else wants to join feel free to post one of your own in this thread. I may leave some QB's out if I haven't watched enough yet. (No particular order).

1. Jimmy Clauseen -- Drew Brees -- The more I watch Claussen the more I think he is the most NFL ready. He may not have the highest ceiling but certianly has NFL mechanics, ability, and toughness.

2. Sam Bradford -- Bernie Kosar -- Throw back 80's style QB. Kosar/Fouts mold with the ablity to operate in shotgun and under center. Maybe best pure passer in the draft.

3. Tony Pike -- Tom Brady -- His combination of accuracy, arm, and size give him an oppertunity to be a good NFL QB. He has a poise in the pocket that seems rare.

4. Tim Teabow – Jarred Lorenzen, Eric Crouch, and Maqueus Tuiasosopo combined. Teabows power, strength, and leadership are his best qualities. His flaws are well documented and it becomes harder to see him as anything more than wildcat QB

5. Colt McCoy – Chad Pennington when he was young and healthy. He doesn’t make mistakes, great with play action, gets the ball to athletes where they can succeed. Not much of a high ceiling, what you see is what you get.

6. Ryan Perrilloux – JaMarcus Russell/Donovan McNabb mix. Perrilloux was once the best high school QB. Big body, arm, and talent, but does he have the desire and smarts to produce in the NFL. High risk / High reward.

7. Dan LeFevour – Jeff Garcia – He seems small on tape even though he is listed at 6’3in and liked to run a lot in college(not gonna happen in NFL). Has some good qualities with a quick, short release but can he make the big NFL throws with accuracy?

8. Jarrett Brown –Aaron Rogers arm with Aaron Brooks body-- Best athlete of the draft now the Locker’s staying. Throws are effortless and he has great quickness. Delivery is a little long but seems coachable. High ceiling but a lot of footwork issues.

9. Jevan Snead – Brady Quinn—He is strong and has a good arm. He isn’t ready yet. His accuracy isn’t great and he simply needs another year to develop feel, touch and leadership. Good potential based on NFL skills under center and arm strength.

10. John Skelton – Kurt Warner – The Kid is big and accurate. Quick pass and good pocket presence. He isn’t mobile or quick but makes the throws. Looked like Kurt against Fordam’s schedule, would be a project. Can he do it against good comp?

so there you have it .....i missed a few other...but I picked the 10 that stood out in my mind....any comments ? anyone wanna give it a try with your top 10 QB's ....I thought it was fun to break down some tapes of games I had ....

This thread is to start discussion and hope you all enjoy.

-rt
    Last edited by richtree; -02-02-2010 at 11:15 AM.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: 2010 Qb Comparisions (Who are they in the mold of?)

Can you make your font all black I can only see the conclusion.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I disagree on McCoy. Pennington is weak-armed and not very athletic. I see Colt as more similar to Alex Smith when he came out or if he's more successful possibly a Steve Young.

I agree with the description of Clausen, but I'm not sure how it compares to Drew Brees, who took a few years to really hit his stride.

sorry about the font....

I hope discussion can help change my opinionfor everyone to get a quick look at the QBs.

please take a look

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Um... this thread seems familiar:

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam 4 weeks ago
    Which recent NFL QBs do the top prospects remind you of?

Here's my list (and, keep in mind, these are the Pros I think they could resemble. There is no guarantee that any of them will be as good as the players I'm comparing them to).

Sam Bradford -- Kurt Warner
    Like Warner, Bradford has good, but not elite, size and good, but not elite, arm strength. For both QBs, the biggest assets are quick release, accuracy and field vision. They are also both rhythm passers who can get on a roll and take apart a defense.

Jimmy Clausen -- Drew Brees
    I am convinced that Clausen, like Brees, is not much taller than 6'0. They both like to sling the ball and have great confidence in their arms, though neither has a true gun. Clausen has to work on his precision to be as productive as Brees, but Brees took a few years to develop in the NFL too.

Colt McCoy -- Jeff Garcia
    McCoy uses his tools very well and is dangerous with his feet. He doesn't always look pretty, but he makes plays. Like Garcia, he's a good fit for a West Coast offense.

Tony Pike -- Eli Manning
    Pike does not have Manning's arm strength, but he does have his pocket presence. Both are tall and a bit lanky. They also are both very streaky. When they look good, they look very good. When they look bad, they look very bad.

Ryan Mallett -- Ben Roethlisberger
    This is somewhat of a generous comparison, as Mallett is nowhere near as accurate as Big Ben. That said, they are both big, strong QBs who can stand in the pocket and withstand a pass rush, and they both have very strong arms. For Mallet to have the kind of initial success that Big Ben had, he probably needs another year in college.

Tim Tebow -- Vince Young
    Like Young, Tebow is everything you don't look for in a passer. Odd throwing motion, slow release, and only average accuracy. Both players rely on athletic ability to keep defenses off balance. Tebow does not have Young's arm strength, but he seems to be a more stable personality.
    As for Dan LeFevour, who I didn't list in my original thread, I'd say he is similar to Mark Sanchez. Good leader. Average arm strength. Very effective throwing while rolling out.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-02-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Um... this thread seems familiar:
    Hah! Av...I didn't even see that thread, I must have overlooked it in my zeal...

thanks for replys.

rt

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Good assessments.

Tebow reminds me of Leftwich. A long and wacky release that can be successful in spurts. Both are too inconsistent.
    Lefevour reminds me of Doug Flutie. They both make a few reads before running and are good throwing on the run.
    I guess Brees is similar to Clausen in height, but I really can't think of a good fit. Clausen is just in his own mold.
    Last edited by codeman123; -02-02-2010 at 01:47 PM.

RockyRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I have began trying to watch some tape of all of the potential Qb's in this Years Draft since any one of them could potenially be on the Rams. I thought it would be fun to compare them to a NFL QB. JUST TO BE CLEAR THIS IS NOT A COMPARISON OF TALENT LEVEL BUT SIMPLY WHO THEY REMIND YOU OFF IN LOOK, PLAYING STYLE, AND PHYICAL MAKE UP.

I will list each QB that I have watched some film of and a quick 1 or 2 sentence on each. If anyone else wants to join feel free to post one of your own in this thread. I may leave some QB's out if I haven't watched enough yet. (No particular order).

1. Jimmy Clauseen -- Drew Brees -- The more I watch Claussen the more I think he is the most NFL ready. He may not have the highest ceiling but certianly has NFL mechanics, ability, and toughness.

2. Sam Bradford -- Bernie Kosar -- Throw back 80's style QB. Kosar/Fouts mold with the ablity to operate in shotgun and under center. Maybe best pure passer in the draft.

3. Tony Pike -- Tom Brady -- His combination of accuracy, arm, and size give him an oppertunity to be a good NFL QB. He has a poise in the pocket that seems rare.

4. Tim Teabow – Jarred Lorenzen, Eric Crouch, and Maqueus Tuiasosopo combined. Teabows power, strength, and leadership are his best qualities. His flaws are well documented and it becomes harder to see him as anything more than wildcat QB

5. Colt McCoy – Chad Pennington when he was young and healthy. He doesn’t make mistakes, great with play action, gets the ball to athletes where they can succeed. Not much of a high ceiling, what you see is what you get.

6. Ryan Perrilloux – JaMarcus Russell/Donovan McNabb mix. Perrilloux was once the best high school QB. Big body, arm, and talent, but does he have the desire and smarts to produce in the NFL. High risk / High reward.

7. Dan LeFevour – Jeff Garcia – He seems small on tape even though he is listed at 6’3in and liked to run a lot in college(not gonna happen in NFL). Has some good qualities with a quick, short release but can he make the big NFL throws with accuracy?

8. Jarrett Brown –Aaron Rogers arm with Aaron Brooks body-- Best athlete of the draft now the Locker’s staying. Throws are effortless and he has great quickness. Delivery is a little long but seems coachable. High ceiling but a lot of footwork issues.

9. Jevan Snead – Brady Quinn—He is strong and has a good arm. He isn’t ready yet. His accuracy isn’t great and he simply needs another year to develop feel, touch and leadership. Good potential based on NFL skills under center and arm strength.

10. John Skelton – Kurt Warner – The Kid is big and accurate. Quick pass and good pocket presence. He isn’t mobile or quick but makes the throws. Looked like Kurt against Fordam’s schedule, would be a project. Can he do it against good comp?

so there you have it .....i missed a few other...but I picked the 10 that stood out in my mind....any comments ? anyone wanna give it a try with your top 10 QB's ....I thought it was fun to break down some tapes of games I had ....

This thread is to start discussion and hope you all enjoy.

-rt
    I like your assesment of Bradford, Claussen, McCoy and Perriloux...I disagree on Tebow and the thought of comparing him and Byron Leftwich...his release isnt really that bad he just cant bring the ball that close to the ground before he gets rid of it...I dont see Pike being very good...he puts up amazing numbers agianst lack luster defenses...