Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tampa_Ram
  • 1 Post By Tampa_Ram
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: 2012 WR class compared to 2011

FestusRam is offline Registered User

2012 WR class compared to 2011

I need some help here guys.

I really don't pay enough attention to every aspect of college football to understand a few things.

What I'm interested in is next years WR draftees against this years.

Green and Jones were the only bonafide WR in this years draft.

Are the guys such as Blackmon/Floyd/Jeffreys considered to be at the same level of talent come draft day? Or is one or multiple of those players better or worse than Jones and Green?

I'm really interested in knowing the talent we will be taking in Round 1 if we decide to take a receiver.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Re: 2012 WR class compared to 2011

hmm I'd say they are right up there with them. Obviously they all have different strengths but all three are very good. Gosh I wish Floyd would of went pro last year. He would of been a huge asset to our offense. Of course as ND fan I'm happy he returned also.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I need some help here guys.

I really don't pay enough attention to every aspect of college football to understand a few things.

What I'm interested in is next years WR draftees against this years.

Green and Jones were the only bonafide WR in this years draft.

Are the guys such as Blackmon/Floyd/Jeffreys considered to be at the same level of talent come draft day? Or is one or multiple of those players better or worse than Jones and Green?

I'm really interested in knowing the talent we will be taking in Round 1 if we decide to take a receiver.
    Well, i can tell you this at least.

Jeffery, Green and Jones all played there college career in the SEC. Green played for Georgia, Jones for Alabama, and Jefferys for South Carolina.

2010 stats:

Julio Jones - 13 games, 78 receptions, 1,133 reception yards, 14.53 ypc, 7 td's, 87.2 ypg.
    A.J. Green - 9 games, 58 receptions, 848 reception yards, 14.88 ypc, 9 td's 94.2 ypg
    Alshon Jeffery - 14 games, 88 receptions, 1,517 reception yards, 17.24 ypc, 9 td's, 108.4 ypg.

Statistically Jeffery outperformed the other two, and i must also point out that Alabama and South Carolina are run heavy teams, and South Carolina has had the worst starting qb's of the 3 schools.

Blackmon and Jeffery's are both early 1st round talents like how Green and Jones were. Floyd has had 3 dui's and that his hurt his stock a lot, i see Floyd going anywhere from 15-25 right now, hes still a great talent, but blackmon and jeffery are a slight step ahead of him atm, that could change in time ofc since nothings certain. Blackmon has had one dui but hasnt been in any kind of trouble since. Jeffery has no legal troubles but in the offseason gained a lot of weight but got into shape for the season. he also couldnt practice a lot of the offseason, dont know why, but that was a big factor in it.

Right now id take blackmon or jeffery in the top 10 easily. wether it be the 2nd iverall pick or the 10th, if they are there, i want one.
    ManofGod likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

They compare pretty nicely. I don't think any of them are even close to A.J Green's level. He in my opinion is the best WR to come it out in 10 years other than Calvin Johnson. He will be exactly like Megatron.

I think Alshon Jeffery, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, and Julio Jones will be all near the same level. I would take Jeffery out of all just because of his physical advantage.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Not sure I can say that this years group is more talented per se, but I know that if Blackmon had come out last year, he would have potentially gone ahead of A.J. Green. I think all 3 guys are talented, if I were to rank them as they are today I'd say:

1. Blackmon-an all around beast of a player at the college level, but appears to be a diva, which could be an issue. Regardless of who you line him up against, the odds are in his favor once the ball is snapped. His size (or lack there off) may hinder him at the next level(but then again they said the same about Steve Smith & he's now a pro bowler). Overall, Blackmon is the classic home run hitter at the WR position.

2. Jeffery- tall & fast, but he gets missing in the S.C. offense far too often, but then again a lot of that could be blamed on poor QB play.

3. Floyd-to me he projects as a solid #2 receiver at the next level (more of a possession type), but you have to love the fact that he has a lot of fight in him. He reminds me a lot of T.J. Whosyamomma.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=sosa39rams;399998]They compare pretty nicely. I don't think any of them are even close to A.J Green's level. He in my opinion is the best WR to come it out in 10 years other than Calvin Johnson. He will be exactly like Megatron.

I think Alshon Jeffery, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, and Julio Jones will be all near the same level. I would take Jeffery out of all just because of his physical advantage.[/QUOTE

Ive started to wonder about this question too.? Im with you Sosa on A.J.Green, superb looking WR.!
    I not sure if any of the WR's come close to Green, which is a shame considering where the Rams will be picking. ?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If they were all in the same class, A.J. Green would still be the top tier of the group. After that, I think you've got Julio Jones and Justin Blackmon pretty close to each other, followed by Jeffery and Floyd.

Jeffery is a wild card; he could be right up there with Jones based on physical ability but there are some "Big Mike Williams" concerns I think. I'm a little more down on him than others, though.

Unless something drastic changes in regards to their stock, I'm expecting Blackmon, Jeffery, and Floyd to be off the board in the Top 20-25 picks this April, with Blackmon/Jeffery being contenders in the Top 10-15 and Floyd being more of a Top 15-25 guy IMO.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If they were all in the same class, A.J. Green would still be the top tier of the group. After that, I think you've got Julio Jones and Justin Blackmon pretty close to each other, followed by Jeffery and Floyd.

Jeffery is a wild card; he could be right up there with Jones based on physical ability but there are some "Big Mike Williams" concerns I think. I'm a little more down on him than others, though.

Unless something drastic changes in regards to their stock, I'm expecting Blackmon, Jeffery, and Floyd to be off the board in the Top 20-25 picks this April, with Blackmon/Jeffery being contenders in the Top 10-15 and Floyd being more of a Top 15-25 guy IMO.
    Interesting...so you don't have either Blackmon or Jeffrey going in the top five? If that is so who do you want the Rams to pick (Matt Kalil!!) since we will definitely be in the top 5 and probably closer to the first 3 picks.

WHAT SAY YE?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Jeffery and Blackmon will be off the board by the 8th pick IMO. Possibly by the 5th.
    ManofGod likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Floyd had a bad week against USC, showing slow footwork .... Some think he may be lifting too much during the season.

Either way I think he may have lost some stock this week vs. USC -- Jeffery has been moving up the board too....
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

fearsome foursome is online now Registered User

richtree, I watched the USC/ Notre Dame game and wondered what all the hubub over Floyd was about. Maybe he just had a bad game but at this stage in his career he should be performing every Saturday.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd say the 2012 will be deeper. I agree with those who said that A.J. Green would be the top guy from either class, but the dropoff after Green and Julio Jones was pretty big last year, while 2012 may have as many as 5-6 players worthy of Top 50 picks.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd say the 2012 will be deeper. I agree with those who said that A.J. Green would be the top guy from either class, but the dropoff after Green and Julio Jones was pretty big last year, while 2012 may have as many as 5-6 players worthy of Top 50 picks.
    Im just wondering if you think these 5-6 players, are all potentially better prospects, than say, Titus Young and Torrey Smith from last year.?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Im just wondering if you think these 5-6 players, are all potentially better prospects, than say, Titus Young and Torrey Smith from last year.?
    IMO, After the Big 3 (Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd), Juron Criner, Ryan Broyles, Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, Nick Toon, and even Mohamed Sanu are all better prospects than Titus Young and Smith.

Torrey Smith is raw, and the only thing big about his game is his speed.

Keep an eye out on Dwight Jones,Juron Criner, and Marvin McNutt. I've been big on Jones and Criner this whole season, and they're all really underrated wide receivers. All three stand 6'4, and are athletic and deceptively fast. They are all physical and possess good quickness for their size. If they played for bigger/better schools with better offenses, they'd be stand-outs.

Three teams will get a big steal in this draft.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Broyles is amazing. He is the perfect slot WR. So productive its unbelievable. We have 2 good slot's though, so no need to go after him.