Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: 2013 ClanRam Insiders 2 Round Mock Draft (Discussion Thread)

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: 2013 ClanRam Insiders 2 Round Mock Draft (Discussion Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Hey, thanks for getting this train back on the tracks! The reason I mentioned his motor was the fact that he openly admitted at the combine that he didn't play his hardest at LSU. He was truthful, which is good... it shows that he's got good character, if not the best motivation when playing with top notch guys around him. That's why I feel that he'd get a nod from a former trenches guy over the one who had the devastating injury more recently.
    Oh I hadn't seen that! He can play at that high a level without trying his hardest? Color me impressed, except it would make me worry about consistency at the nfl level for sure.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I am repeating a message from another thread here, as I feel it is equally applicable to this thread.

As it stands, Barry has had the opportunity to speak his mind about off-topic issues, and others have responded in turn. As a result, this thread - which was supposed to house discussion of what was meant to be a fun offseason activity - has nearly completely derailed and includes many personal criticisms from multiple members, despite attempts to get it back on track towards its original purpose.

Our standards for discussion here at ClanRam are listed very clearly in our board rules (link), which come from Dez himself. Our expectations are that a high level of civility must be maintained in discussions, even heated ones.

That means respecting everyone's right to their opinion and responding to them in a respectful manner, even if you disagree, even if you believe they are way off base, even if you believe they are less informed than you are.

From this point forward, posts that are fail to meet this standard, including off topic personal comments or criticisms, will be deleted without warning. THIS is the warning.

Everyone has been allowed more free reign to get things off their respective chests over the last couple of hours, and in doing so, the quality of discourse and the enjoyment of draft conversations has plummeted. That stops now. If you cannot find a way to express your point without being rude or discourteous to a fellow member, then you risk having your point and post deleted.

If there are questions, please consult the board rules or private message me or another board moderator.

Now, let's carry on discussing this group mock.
    laram0 and THOLTFAN81 like this.

I think it's a good pick for the Bills to grab a QB, although I think it's difficult to say anyone is landing a "franchise" QB in this draft. Guys like Manuel make me nervous. I never consider it a good sign when people go shooting up draft boards based on workouts. It just doesn't mesh to me when you watch a guy play all season and say he's pretty good, then watch him run fast, lift weights, and throw well in shorts and a tshirt and go WOW what a talent! Always be wary of the workout warriors.
    Nick likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I think it's a good pick for the Bills to grab a QB, although I think it's difficult to say anyone is landing a "franchise" QB in this draft. Guys like Manuel make me nervous. I never consider it a good sign when people go shooting up draft boards based on workouts. It just doesn't mesh to me when you watch a guy play all season and say he's pretty good, then watch him run fast, lift weights, and throw well in shorts and a tshirt and go WOW what a talent! Always be wary of the workout warriors.
    That's a good point. If I were selecting who I think they should pick, I might be more inclined to give more consideration to Nassib, and perhaps Glennon. However, I'm trying to predict what Buddy Nix is going to do, which is a bit harder.

You're also right about round 2 QBs historically not being franchise guys, but the Bills needed to make a move here at the position, after missing on on Geno in the first. The growing consensus is Manuel being the number 2 prospect at the position, and he's someone that's sure to sell some tickets.
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    That's a good point. If I were selecting who I think they should pick, I might be more inclined to give more consideration to Nassib, and perhaps Glennon. However, I'm trying to predict what Buddy Nix is going to do, which is a bit harder.

You're also right about round 2 QBs historically not being franchise guys, but the Bills needed to make a move here at the position, after missing on on Geno in the first. The growing consensus is Manuel being the number 2 prospect at the position, and he's someone that's sure to sell some tickets.
    I remember looking at the draft trends of successful QBs when we were drafting Bradford, and found that a vast vast majority of them went in the 1st round of the draft, with significant less success, to the point of almost none, in the 2nd round and later. The point being not that if a QB drops to the 2nd, they are clearly bad, but that if teams believe a guy is truly a starter, they don't wait and hope he's around later. Not that it would happen in the mock draft, but if the Bills really do like this guy or another QB, I wouldn't put it past them to trade up and make sure they get him.
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I remember looking at the draft trends of successful QBs when we were drafting Bradford, and found that a vast vast majority of them went in the 1st round of the draft, with significant less success, to the point of almost none, in the 2nd round and later. The point being not that if a QB drops to the 2nd, they are clearly bad, but that if teams believe a guy is truly a starter, they don't wait and hope he's around later. Not that it would happen in the mock draft, but if the Bills really do like this guy or another QB, I wouldn't put it past them to trade up and make sure they get him.
    You're right about that, and I mentioned it in my analysis of the pick. He was recently one of the first invited to the Draft in New York, so many assume that someone will make a run for him at the end of round 1. It might be the Bills or maybe someone like the Eagles, who could certainly use a dual threat QB in their system. The read-option is the new Wildcat, so if a team thinks he can run it at the pro level, they might make the investment to move up and grab him. I'm not including playoff teams in this scenario since it's assumed they got there with a pretty good quarterback themselves.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That's it. I don't need this crap. I never claimed to be an expert. I was just doing the same thing we do every year, helping out with the annual mock draft. Barry, you may have years of experience and your finger on the pulse of all things NFL draft, but I don't have time to feed into your self-esteem issues. Your anti-social behavior has gone way over the top.

You fellas have a good day. Let Barry make the rest of my picks. Or maybe we should just turn the whole thing over to Barry so the personal attacks will at least come to a stop.

I'll see you guys on April 28th.
    I shouldn't have posted that.

I made a commitment to doing this. And if I allow the rants and ramblings of some random guy to alter that, then I'm no better.

With that, my pick has been posted.
    AvengerRam and laram0 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I shouldn't have posted that.

I made a commitment to doing this. And if I allow the rants and ramblings of some random guy to alter that, then I'm no better.

With that, my pick has been posted.
    And now I shall slice and dice that pick until you beg for mercy! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!....I like it. For all the talk out of Miami of Long being overrated, not worth the cost, etc., he departure still weakens the offensive line. Signing Wallace and Gibson won't do much good if Tannehill is running for his life. Beefing up the O-line will help.

Good pick for the Bucks too. Clark was definitely a stop gap, and not a very good one at that. I think a TE like Ertz is exactly what they need to complete what looks like a pretty good offense already. It will all depend on Freeman still, but giving him more weapons won't hurt.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Berg, I think that you hit it right on the head there, actually. Dalton, Brees, Kapernick are the three 2nd round QB's that are stars right now. I actually fully expect that the Bills will trade up back into the first round, even if it against their best interests. I just hope that it's to #22. Anyone for a 3rd 1st round pick next year? If we were projecting trades in this mock(Sorry... we're not that amazing...), I think that we'd show a couple teams trading up for QB's in the back end after having grabbed a better talent at the top of the 1st round. Beers, thank you for playing along with my set up from their first round pick!
    I believe!

Berg, I think that you hit it right on the head there, actually. Dalton, Brees, Kapernick are the three 2nd round QB's that are stars right now. I actually fully expect that the Bills will trade up back into the first round, even if it against their best interests. I just hope that it's to #22. Anyone for a 3rd 1st round pick next year? If we were projecting trades in this mock(Sorry... we're not that amazing...), I think that we'd show a couple teams trading up for QB's in the back end after having grabbed a better talent at the top of the 1st round. Beers, thank you for playing along with my set up from their first round pick!
    And Dalton was inconsistent last year, despite posting better numbers, and called out by his coach saying he needs to play better. Kaepernick needs to do it again, and make sure he isn't a flash in the pan. But the constant merry-go-round of QBs in the league is probably why you see teams grab guys in the first if they believe they are starters. Good QBs are just that hard to come by. I think the recent failures of QBs drafted later and developed over several years will help reinforce the trend of grabbing them in the first. (See Kolb, Kevin, etc.).

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree... The thing I highly question, however, is if the QB is a 2nd round kind of talent, but you trade up to the first to get him, does it really do him any good? You end up getting him, sure, but you also pay a first round pick, which could be a lineman or a weapon for that QB that he no longer has.

Buffalo will most likely trade up if they miss out on Smith, but I think that they should stand pat and take whomever falls to them, and save the 2014 1st rounder for someone who can make that QB better.
    I believe!

I agree... The thing I highly question, however, is if the QB is a 2nd round kind of talent, but you trade up to the first to get him, does it really do him any good? You end up getting him, sure, but you also pay a first round pick, which could be a lineman or a weapon for that QB that he no longer has.

Buffalo will most likely trade up if they miss out on Smith, but I think that they should stand pat and take whomever falls to them, and save the 2014 1st rounder for someone who can make that QB better.
    I guess it would depend on how you define "2nd round QB" Based upon history, anyone capable of starting in the NFL someday at QB is a 1st round QB, anyone projected as a career backup is every other round. It could be that that history is changing, and there will be a 2nd round QB talent level that is considered starting. Or it could be that teams are able to garner 1st round talent in the 2nd round due to the draft needs of the teams ahead of them allowing the player to fall.

oh my god justin pugh is enormous.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams are on the clock!

Unfortunately, one of the best available outside linebackers just went to San Diego to shift inside in their 3-4 scheme. Brown in the second round was too good of value for San Diego to pass up.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Rams are on the clock!

Unfortunately, one of the best available outside linebackers just went to San Diego to shift inside in their 3-4 scheme. Brown in the second round was too good of value for San Diego to pass up.
    You're right. But unless I missed him somewhere, Khaseem Green is still available. This might be a good spot for him.

Or if you want to go Safety, Eric Reid is still there. I like Green better, but after two offensive picks, a defensive starter at either SAM or Safety might look good here.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod