throwback week

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: 2013 ClanRam Insiders 2 Round Mock Draft (Discussion Thread)

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: 2013 ClanRam Insiders 2 Round Mock Draft (Discussion Thread)

For the Rams, I'd definitely go Reid, as this is the kind of draft you double dip on safeties, so might as well go early and late.

I'm actually a bit surprised about the Chargers pick... I could see them gamble on Carradine there. He's got top notch talent but possibly needs some time to heal. Chargers aren't going anywhere this year.. so maybe grab a potentially elite pass rusher once healthy? Really at this point, they just need to grab the best value on the board, regardless of position.

I believe!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    For the Rams, I'd definitely go Reid, as this is the kind of draft you double dip on safeties, so might as well go early and late.

I'm actually a bit surprised about the Chargers pick... I could see them gamble on Carradine there. He's got top notch talent but possibly needs some time to heal. Chargers aren't going anywhere this year.. so maybe grab a potentially elite pass rusher once healthy? Really at this point, they just need to grab the best value on the board, regardless of position.
    If the choice is Reid, then the group mock Rams picks will be the same as the Rams pick in my latest mock draft. Which I'm fine with, because I think those are great picks.

As for Carradine, if they think he can play OLB in a 3-4, he could be the pick. I think his best role is as a 4-3 DE, so I had them go another direction. It's going to be interesting to see when he comes off the board. He is terrific value at this point, assuming he's healthy.

With picks coming up, Dallas, New York, Chicago, and Minnesota are probably salivating at the idea of him.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

....and OUR ST. LOUIS RAMS select...........

Sorry you have to go to the selection thread for the answer.....
    TekeRam likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams end up with Warmack, Allen and Reid, I'd be a very happy camper!
    HUbison, Rambos, Nick and 1 others like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams end up with Warmack, Allen and Reid, I'd be a very happy camper!
    If the Rams end up with Warmack, Alec Ogletree and Reid, how would you feel about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If the Rams end up with Warmack, Alec Ogletree and Reid, how would you feel about that?
    As I am fond of metaphors, let me respond like this...

To me, Ogletree is a Camaro Convertable.

I like Camaro Convertables. I would really enjoy owning one.

Unfortunately, it does not fit within my budget. I only have so much money to spend on cars, and I have a greater need for a car with a full-sized back seat, good storage space, a roof rack for my kayak and, hopefully, good gas mileage.

If I could obtain a Camaro Convertable at, say... $10,000 below book value... I might consider purchasing one.

It would not be my choice, however, to pay full price for one and pass on the opportunity obtain an SUV or a crossover vehicle that better serves my needs.

Wow, picks are rollin' in today! I love it!

I'm really torn between two players here for the Bengals.

Choice One is great value, not much need.

Choice Two is good value, moderate need.

Thoughts?

I think the Bengals are at a stage where they can go with the best value rather than worry about filling specific needs.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think the Bengals are at a stage where they can go with the best value rather than worry about filling specific needs.
    Alrighty, well here we go!

Well that was a curve ball!

I get the logic, though. Also, if Barkley is forced to play for a couple of games, and he plays well, he immediately could become the next Kevin Kolb or Matt Flynn on the trade market.
    Nick likes this.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I imagine taking a QB in the second round would be a killer to Dalton's confidence and could be a team morale killing move. The Bengals have actually drafted well the last several years and I doubt they are ready to move on from Dalton or are in that great of need of a backup for a QB that hasn't missed an NFL game yet. There are still plenty of talented guys on the board with criminal records(it's the Bengal way) that I think the Bengals would take before Barkley.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I imagine taking a QB in the second round would be a killer to Dalton's confidence and could be a team morale killing move. The Bengals have actually drafted well the last several years and I doubt they are ready to move on from Dalton or are in that great of need of a backup for a QB that hasn't missed an NFL game yet. There are still plenty of talented guys on the board with criminal records(it's the Bengal way) that I think the Bengals would take before Barkley.
    I certainly get that reaction, and you might be right. It is kind of an out of nowhere pick, but I trusted the value on the board.

And again, I'd reiterate that drafting Barkley doesn't necessarily mean they're ready to move on from Dalton; it could be a deal where they draft him, let him sit and learn, show him off in meaningless quarters, and then try to trade him for picks later (what I suspect the Patriots are doing with Ryan Mallett, whom I believe they drafted in the third round a couple years ago).

One thing I'd put out there is that, with Aaron Rodgers poised to finally take the reigns from Brett Favre in 2008, the Packers spent a second round pick on Louisville QB Brian Brohm. I doubt many felt QB was a need with Rodgers next in line, but the Packers recognized what they felt was value and grabbed him. So it's not an unheard of possibility. When the Chargers spent a first round pick on Philip Rivers, Drew Brees actually improved his play that next season.

So if drafting Barkley pushes Dalton to get better, it's a win for Cincy because they have an improved QB and a back-up they can either keep or trade. If drafting Barkley causes Dalton to wither, then better to know now and have a guy ready to take over than find out later without a plan.

If Barkley's value at that point wasn't as good as it was, I probably would have gone with Lacy. But I view Barkley as a guy who probably belongs in the late first round conversation but could go in the Top Ten because of how teams value the position. Meanwhile, to me, Lacy is a second rounder. If you're going by value, the choice was the QB. Cincinnati's QB situation isn't so good that it's an impossible pick, at least as I see it. Bengals fans may disagree, and like I said, I recognize it's kind of an out in left field pick.

Hopefully you see where I'm coming from, though you may still disagree.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'll call this pick a "correction" in that Barkley will end up going before this pick no matter what. Yes, the Bengals probably wouldn't take him, but someone will and the Bengals can have whatever player ended up not getting picked before hand. Nick was absolutely correct in that they don't have a lot of glaring holes as much as just need some improved skills at positions. They're likely to take the best value on the board, regardless of where it is. That said, Lacy would be my pick as well.

As someone would say... "Your mock draft sucks!"
    I believe!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I'll call this pick a "correction" in that Barkley will end up going before this pick no matter what. Yes, the Bengals probably wouldn't take him, but someone will and the Bengals can have whatever player ended up not getting picked before hand. Nick was absolutely correct in that they don't have a lot of glaring holes as much as just need some improved skills at positions. They're likely to take the best value on the board, regardless of where it is. That said, Lacy would be my pick as well.

As someone would say... "Your mock draft sucks!"
    That may well be, but last year I had to defend my pick of a pass-rusher for the Texans in the first round, which I was told was ridiculous because they had plenty of pass-rushers even with the loss of Mario Williams. I still made the pick because of the value on the board of a dropping player. Now, that player didn't get selected by the Texans, but they did end up selecting a pass-rusher with their first round pick.

The point being not that Nick is right, that Barkley will fall that far or the Bengals will draft a QB. The point is just that crazy stuff happens on draft day! So far I think that the picks have been solid, and show that there is a realistic chance for Barkley to fall to the Bengals, barring a trade up by a team looking to make sure they have their QB. If he falls that far, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Bengals snag him considering how little confidence the coaching staff seems to have in Dalton right now.
    Nick and TekeRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    The point being not that Nick is right, that Barkley will fall that far or the Bengals will draft a QB. The point is just that crazy stuff happens on draft day! So far I think that the picks have been solid, and show that there is a realistic chance for Barkley to fall to the Bengals, barring a trade up by a team looking to make sure they have their QB. If he falls that far, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Bengals snag him considering how little confidence the coaching staff seems to have in Dalton right now.
    Thanks, that's a good summary of where I was coming from on this. Could I make a case to take a guy that doesn't fill a big hole but is arguably the best value on the board? I felt like I could, so I made that pick. It wasn't really a "correction" but rather just trying to put value above need, so long as I could justify it in some manner.