Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2013 vs 2014 Draft ; NO Comparison

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2013 vs 2014 Draft ; NO Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    <<So is this ranking system where they are right now or where they were at the time they got drafted?>.

Obviously whe they were drafted, or Russell WIlson would be WAY higher.
    So, if Wilson's ranking of 8.0 made him a 3rd round prospect, then you believe that the only QB who rates as higher than a 3rd round pick in the 2014 draft is Bridgewater? I do't buy that. Plus, you have E.J. Manuel, who was a first rounder, ranked lower than Wilson. While Wilson appears to be the better QB now, on their respective draft days Manuel was a higher-ranked prospect.

Sorry, but I find your ratings a bit inconsistent.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Because of the weakness of the draft, AND the huge need for QB, they will be overdrafted.

I didn't have really first round grades on tannehill, Ponder, Manuel, Weeden, Locker, Quinn, Gabbert, Tebow, Sanchez, Freeman, Flacco, Leinart, Alex Smmith, Russell, Campbel, Losman, Boller Leftwich Boller Grossman Harrington, Ramsey Leaf Akili Smith, McNown, Druckenmiller EITHER. Where were THEY drafted ?

When it comes to my rating, you can throw it out with QBs, because guys I would call 8.5 go in round one all the time.

As I said to even get a 9.0, you have to be an instant starter with future Pro Bowl potential.

The guys I gave that kind of rating to?

Luck
    Griffin
    Stafford
    Bradford
    Ryan
    Newton
    Rodgers
    Cutler
    Manning
    Rivers
    Roethlisberger
    Palmer
    McNabb
    Manning
    Barry Waller

>>While Wilson appears to be the better QB now, on their respective draft days Manuel was a higher-ranked prospect.>.

Not to me, amd many others did not rate Manuel as a first rounder at all.

I LOVED WIlson, and wanted the Rams to take him rd 3 even though they didn't need a QB. .

See I am going by MY rating system, MY ranking, MY opinion, not what others said.

If you look at the list of guys at QB I didn't give as good a rating as where they were drafted, just look above for the list

As I said, the rating i give doesn't compute as to what round I see them fitting, not with QBs, and I already explained WHY. Guess you didn't listen in your effort to somehow "debunk" my OPINION.
    I thought last year, where MY draft opinions proved to be right in, INCLUDING not dealing up for Austin with so many good WR available, and the fact that Elam and Reid were as good as Vaccaro.
    Barry Waller

Oh and ALSO, one of the reasons I did not give higher ratings to this years QBs, is that the process is not over, and no one really even knows who is best, second best etc. yet.

I'm waiting till some all star games, bowl games, and the combine and workouts to see if I move any of these guys up, Right now I am going by just pure talent and college numbers.

I tend to rate QBs lower than others, who like to give the top ones 9.5 ratings every year.

I save mine for the cream of the crop guys.

That's mainly because I can't give a "Immediate Pro Bowl potential" or a "should make a Pro Bowl eventuially" that easily to such a difficult position to rate.

I'm sure you gave JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf one of those those 9.8 ratings.

I however, did NOT, and LAUGHED at those who said take Leaf over Peyton Manning, who I gave about the only 9.9 I ever gave a QB, along with Elway and Luck, as absolutely locks to be superstars.
    Barry Waller

Also there were FIVE QBs picked in the top 60 players in 2012, which pushed Wilson a tad down as the sixth guy.
    Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I wanted the Rams to draft Wilson too because I thought he would be a good developmental guy, but no way did I think he would be this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    >>While Wilson appears to be the better QB now, on their respective draft days Manuel was a higher-ranked prospect.>.

Not to me, amd many others did not rate Manuel as a first rounder at all.

I LOVED WIlson, and wanted the Rams to take him rd 3 even though they didn't need a QB. .

See I am going by MY rating system, MY ranking, MY opinion, not what others said.

If you look at the list of guys at QB I didn't give as good a rating as where they were drafted, just look above for the list

As I said, the rating i give doesn't compute as to what round I see them fitting, not with QBs, and I already explained WHY. Guess you didn't listen in your effort to somehow "debunk" my OPINION.
    I thought last year, where MY draft opinions proved to be right in, INCLUDING not dealing up for Austin with so many good WR available, and the fact that Elam and Reid were as good as Vaccaro.
    You're welcome to your opinion, but you're not consistent. Rather, you are self-serving and engaging in revisionism.

If you wish to draw conclusions about the talent pool, be my guest. I'll withhold my conclusions for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I wanted the Rams to draft Wilson too because I thought he would be a good developmental guy, but no way did I think he would be this good.
    Nobody knew. That's why every team passed on him at least once before he was drafted.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

I may have Bridgewater a bit low. He's more a 9.0 right now

Also Hundley is more an 8.2-8.5 for me right now.

As i watch them more closely in the bowl games and All Star games, and study them a bit and after the combine and workouts, these guys could move up, but no higher than about 9.2 I don't think, based on their college career and overall game.
    Barry Waller

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I usually thought we waited until about 3 years after a draft in order to judge the quality of players selected. I guess listing a bunch of arbitrary rankings and constantly talking about yourself with CAPITAL LETTERS in one sentence paragraphs proves me wrong though. More people should be aware of this bulletproof debate strategy. I can only hope that members of the supreme court one day will use arguments such as "I've been a judge for 40 YEARS. I think I know what I'm talking about so you can shut up now."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12