Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The 2014 Draft

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The 2014 Draft

The Rams have immediate needs at:

S - McDonald is decent, but after him we've got a hole. McLeod would serve best as depth and a #3 safety.

CB - Does Finnegan go or stay? If he stays, our CB corps is fine. If he goes, we need to replace him.

OLB - Dunbar is decent, but this draft is loaded with great LB's and I don't exactly see us passing up on them.

OG - Williams can be upgraded, Saffold may walk.

WR - We still need a #1 WR.

QB - We need a backup QB.

DT - Is Langford let go?

OT - Some believe we need a tackle, I don't.

This year there aren't any "A.J Green" type WR's and I doubt we use another 1st rounder on a WR so I think that'll be washed out. OT is certainly a possibility with a guy like Jake Matthews. I think OLB is a good chance with 3 great players like Barr, Mosley, and Mack. All machines that a worthy of top 10 choices. I think a Safety like Haha Clinton-Dix would be a good addition too.

I could see the first round wielding us two defensive players. Two of my favourite prospects this year are both OLB's: Anthony Barr, and Khalil Mack. I'd be ecstatic with either. I don't think OLB is our most immediate need, but these guys are such productive players and game changers that I wouldn't be able to pass up on either. As of right now I think the first round goes like this:

#1 - OLB - Anthony Barr (UCLA) or Khalil Mack (Buffalo)
    #1b - DT/FS - Ra'Shede Hageman (Minnesota) or Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix (Alabama)

This would solidify our defense. We would have one of the youngest and most talented defenses in the league. Clinton-Dix is finally our solution to our FS problem. A guy who can be a ballhawk and has terrific range. Pair him with a more physical T.J McDonald. Mack or Barr join and round off the best LB corps in the league with Ogletree and JL. It would be a lot tougher to run the ball against that front.

What do you guys think?

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The 2014 Draft

Well, I think you know what I think. I'd prefer to go OT with that first pick, but LB is certainly possible because of the talent that's there. I just don't think our current personnel warrants a high LB pick. However, I think a DB makes sense with the second pick depending on where it ends up because the value will start to become better at that position the further down in the draft order you get.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I really wish there was an elite Safety or CB prospect in the draft. I'm sure we will find some good ones though, hopefully studs. If we can find some great ones, our defense will become so much better.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Let me say this again as my position has not changed:
    OT-Matthews
    DT-Nix III
    S-Clinton-Dix

-Pick the best two of the three options and move onto round 2. If Finnegan will not restructure his deal then you have to let him go which will make CB an even greater area of need (I feel that we have to draft an CB or pick one up in FA as is).

-Let Dahl go (both he and Langford are stealing money at this point), and hopefully Jones is our answer at OG and we can resign Saffold to a modest deal to man the other OG spot. I'd love to grab the OG from Baylor in round 2, but as things look now he'll never make it to Rd. 2

-Grab one of the many available QB's in Rd. 3, and from that point forward you go BPA, and add depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I really wish there was an elite Safety or CB prospect in the draft. I'm sure we will find some good ones though, hopefully studs. If we can find some great ones, our defense will become so much better.
    My friend there is one elite S and atleast 3 CB's that are more than solid in this years draft.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    My friend there is one elite S and atleast 3 CB's that are more than solid in this years draft.
    When i say an Elite talent, i mean like an Earl Thomas, Clinton-Dix is not an elite talent in my eyes, and i have watched every piece of tape on him, but just my opinion.
    There isn't any elite cb's, but i agree there are some very solid ones, and i hope we get one.

general counsel is online now Registered User

Rather than take Dix, i would much rather get a shot at Lucretious Portefioy (my spelling may be offer, but i mean the florida corner)

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    When i say an Elite talent, i mean like an Earl Thomas, Clinton-Dix is not an elite talent in my eyes, and i have watched every piece of tape on him, but just my opinion.
    There isn't any elite cb's, but i agree there are some very solid ones, and i hope we get one.
    Honestly they look similar, one thing to consider (and this may be a pro or a con), but Clinton-Dix is in a different scheme. He is great at what they ask him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Rather than take Dix, i would much rather get a shot at Lucretious Portefioy (my spelling may be offer, but i mean the florida corner)

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    The only issue with this guy are character concerns, he's been benched at times this season b/c of his behavior.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Right now, the Rams would have a top 5 pick. If the Rams are going to use that pick (a trade is a distinct possibility), they need to aquire an elite player who fills a need.

Right now, the only player who I am convinced meets both of those requirements is Jake Matthews. As far as OLBs, I'm in Nick's camp... its just not a big enough need to warrant a first round pick.

There are a number of players who might fit both criteria, but will have to show that they are elite from a physical standpoint. That list (in no particularly order) includes (but is not necessarily limited to): Louis Nix, Taylor Lewan, Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans.

Still like Matthews and Purifoy as our two first rounders.

shower beers is offline Registered User

If the Redskins pick holds up at number 2, we're either taking Matthews or taking a bounty of picks again to move down to the middle/early playoff pick up the BPA.

After yesterday's game though, I can't see us passing up a CB/S very early on. We need help in a big way.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    After yesterday's game though, I can't see us passing up a CB/S very early on. We need help in a big way.
    I agree that DB is the biggest need area, but I don't see a CB or S right now who I view as a Top 10 prospect. That's why I think a trade down is a very good possibility. If the Rams can't get Matthews (or don't believe he is worth a top 5 pick), then the idea of trading back into the middle of the first round and picking up an extra 2nd round pick (and more) could make a lot of sense.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I would add that to think we draft a CB or safety and they simply plug-in and solve our woes in the secondary is a mirage. Jenkins and Johnson are coming along, especially Jenkins. It's tough to transition into a top CB in the NFL overnight. I agree we need depth and I'm sure we'll draft it, it just won't be as early as some of us might think. Plus this not a strong CB/S draft. Alternatively, the secondary matter may be addressed in FA, but we're already paying Finnegan a boatload of $, so that may not happen either.

Right now depending on SOS we may have the #2 pick after Houston. Atl. and TB play each other 2x so they may still have a better chance than us at the #2 pick based on SOS. My thinking at that point would be TRADE.

Go Rams!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Here you go Steve:

Loucheiz Purifoy*, CB, Florida
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 189.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
    Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

11/9/13: Purifoy has 17 tackles, an interception and four passes defended so far this year. He had a mixed performance against LSU's dangerous passing attack. His coverage was generally sound, but he had a costly missed tackle. Purifoy picked up two tackles against Missouri and recovered a fumble on special teams. He had a sack for a safety against Georgia.

Purifoy was an animal against Arkansas. Early in the first quarter, he came on a blind-side cornerback blitz to sack Brandon Allen. Purifoy did a great job of slapping the ball out while knocking Allen to the ground. That gave Florida a field goal. After the Razorbacks took a 7-3 lead, Purifoy put the Gators up for good. Allen tried to throw a short pass to the flat and Purifoy jumped the route for the interception. He exploded down the field for the 42-yard score. Purifoy had four tackles with the strip-sack and pick-six versus Arkansas. For the year, he has 11 tackles.

Purifoy was playing well against Tennessee before leaving the game with an injury. He took a helmet in the thigh on a kick return in the second half and was done for the day. Purifoy played offense on the first play of the game and ran the ball for over 10 yards, but that was his only attempt.

Purifoy missed the kickoff game versus Toledo because he was serving a suspension for violating team rules. Against Miami, Purifoy had good coverage all day and blocked a punt, but he did miss a few tackles in run support that came at bad times.

8/17/13: Purifoy has an elite combination of size and speed to be a potential man corner in the NFL. He is also extremely physical and plays with a swagger.

Purifoy had a breakout season in 2012, recording 51 tackles, five passes broken up and three forced fumbles. The Gators' defensive scheme largely left him on an island in man coverage, yet he maintained good defense. The sophomore was also excellent on special teams. Purifoy was a backup corner and special teams contributor in 2011. The freshman chipped in 27 tackles and a forced fumbles, too.

Purifoy is so fast and such a dangerous play-maker, the Gators are planning on playing on offense at wide receiver as well as at cornerback in 2013. Florida says he will play more corner than anything, but if the team's young receivers don't step up, Purifoy will be prepared for double duty.

Intriguing prospect for sure ..
    Randart likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree that DB is the biggest need area, but I don't see a CB or S right now who I view as a Top 10 prospect. That's why I think a trade down is a very good possibility. If the Rams can't get Matthews (or don't believe he is worth a top 5 pick), then the idea of trading back into the middle of the first round and picking up an extra 2nd round pick (and more) could make a lot of sense.
    Yeah I agree with that thought. I don't think there's a CB worth that spot either. I worded that strangely but I think it's Matthews or trade down if we're in the number 2 spot, but especially trade down if Clowney is on the board with our pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast