Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The 2014 Draft

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: The 2014 Draft

If we can get the number 2 or 3 pick overall and are able to trade down to say 8 or 9 and collect a couple of extra picks, I say the Rams would be that in a heartbeat again. In the positions that the Rams need to fill the only star player I see is Matthews being available for the Rams. There are no cant miss WR/CB/S in this draft at all so the Rams can afford to slide back and trade down to a QB needy team.

* As a questions to everyone out of curiousity, is there a remote chance the Rams scrap Sammy B and go with Hundley ( living in Socal I think he's overrated) or Bridgewater if given the chance? I would hate for this scenario to unfold because I think Sam can be a winning QB still.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If you go with an OT with the first pick, do you move Jake Long to RT?
    Or did you just use a top 5 pick on a RT?

Because when the Rams used a top pick on Smith who was used at RT, people went nuts that it meant they wasted the pick.

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

Because when the Rams used a top pick on Smith who was used at RT, people went nuts that it meant they wasted the pick.
    It's really a completely different situation. When we drafted Smith, we had a need at LT and expected him to come in and be the starter day one. With Mathews, we expect him to take over for Long somewhere down the line and play RT in the meantime.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

There are certainly a lot of options at CB, and we definitely need one. Janoris has done nothing but regress. He's been bad. Trumaine Johnson is a decent player who should be no higher than a #2 at this point. Finnegan graded out as PFF's worst CB in the league, so it may be his time to go.

A guy I am intrigued by is Darqueze Dennard. He's flying up draft boards and has the makings of a #1 shutdown CB. A guy I think he compares pretty well to is Joe Haden who is emerging as a true shutdown CB this year.

There are some other options as well: Purifoy and Roberson from Florida, Verrett (TCU), Roby (OSU), and Ekpre-Olomu from Oregon are guys that'll go in rounds 1-2.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    There are certainly a lot of options at CB, and we definitely need one. Janoris has done nothing but regress. He's been bad. Trumaine Johnson is a decent player who should be no higher than a #2 at this point. Finnegan graded out as PFF's worst CB in the league, so it may be his time to go.

A guy I am intrigued by is Darqueze Dennard. He's flying up draft boards and has the makings of a #1 shutdown CB. A guy I think he compares pretty well to is Joe Haden who is emerging as a true shutdown CB this year.

There are some other options as well: Purifoy and Roberson from Florida, Verrett (TCU), Roby (OSU), and Ekpre-Olomu from Oregon are guys that'll go in rounds 1-2.
    I like Dennard a lot too. Not a big fan of Purifoy, right now seems more of an amazing athlete playing at CB, but he could over time become a great one maybe. I like Verrett, think he could be great, same size as Finny but a few pounds lighter, but plays physical and good tackler. Definitely need to grab at least one.
    sosa39rams likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2834 View Post
    It's really a completely different situation. When we drafted Smith, we had a need at LT and expected him to come in and be the starter day one. With Mathews, we expect him to take over for Long somewhere down the line and play RT in the meantime.
    So you want to draft a guy in the top of the draft so we play him at a position he's never played?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Matthews has played both LT and RT at A&M.

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

So you want to draft a guy in the top of the draft so we play him at a position he's never played?
    As Av has already stated, Mathews has plenty of experience at RT. In fact he has more experience at RT than LT. If you remember, Luke Joeckel was A&M's LT until this past season when Mathews took over after Joeckel entered the draft and was taken by Jacksonville in the 1st round.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I like Dennard a lot too. Not a big fan of Purifoy, right now seems more of an amazing athlete playing at CB, but he could over time become a great one maybe. I like Verrett, think he could be great, same size as Finny but a few pounds lighter, but plays physical and good tackler. Definitely need to grab at least one.
    I agree 100%. Purifoy is not very polished but with good coaching can become excellent, especially with his size and speed. I prefer Dennard right now. I gotta check out some more guys though. Dennard is always at the hip of his WR and is terrific at looking back for the ball. Very physical player too.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Good call on Dennard. He's one of the best players on one of college's best defenses. I don't think anyone has a stranglehold on the top CB spot in this class, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first one off the board, though that guy may not come off the board until the 10-25 range, depending on how things play out to end the year and during offseason workouts.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Not at all. I'm pretty sure every team that took a Tackle in the first round this past year including the top two had them starting at RT to begin the year. Any that moved to LT did it after trades or injuries. Let Matthews play RT for a year or two and move to LT when Longs time in STL is done. If we keep Long after this current contract then we have two amazing tackles and it's a win win.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Not at all. I'm pretty sure every team that took a Tackle in the first round this past year including the top two had them starting at RT to begin the year. Any that moved to LT did it after trades or injuries. Let Matthews play RT for a year or two and move to LT when Longs time in STL is done. If we keep Long after this current contract then we have two amazing tackles and it's a win win.
    I believe Eric Fisher, drafted first overall in the entire draft last year, has started exclusively at right tackle this season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I believe Eric Fisher, drafted first overall in the entire draft last year, has started exclusively at right tackle this season.
    I think so too. Joeckel moved to left when their starter went down to injury I forget his name atm. Lane Johnson also I think has been RT all year as well. I doubt Fluker is ever anything but a RT. My point was all those teams took college LT early in the first round and started them all at RT because they had a quality LT already on the roster. The last time the Rams had a good OLine was 1999-2001. Last great line we had was around 83-85.

Randart is offline Registered User

I would even go so far as to say if we get fortunate enough to get Jake Matthews that he would have to earn a starters spot depending on who we have ready to go for next season. Let him earn his way same as any player. He can spot in and do some special teams even if he is a back up for a season or two. And I don't care if he is the first pick taken! Welcome to the NFL, not for long if you can't cut it and earn your way! Ridiculous to me to put huge expectations on any rookie, just gotta give the lads time enough to get up to speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12