View Poll Results: 2014 Draft Poll #1: With the 1st pick, the Texans take...

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

31 77.50%
  • A Quarterback Not Named Blake Bortles

2 5.00%
  • A Prospect That Isn't a Quarterback

7 17.50%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HUbison

Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Poll #1: With the 1st pick, the Texans take...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

2014 NFL Draft Poll #1: With the 1st pick, the Texans take...

So the Senior Bowl is over, the Combine is over, and many of the pro days are over. We're going to be twiddling our thumbs between now and the actual NFL Draft in May.

So I thought it might be interesting to start a poll every couple of days or each week with a draft-related topic to discuss and vote on. These topics won't necessarily be Rams related, but certainly could be if there's a worthy topic to consider.

The first poll topic is related to the first overall pick. I've provided three options, and the cases for each option below. Vote for whichever of the three you agree with, and feel free to respond with your own reasoning beyond what I've briefly listed here. Let's get the conversation rolling!

2014 NFL Draft Poll: With the first pick, the Houston Texans take...

The Case for Bortles

New head coach Bill O'Brien needs a fresh face of the franchise to get Texans fans excited. There is a segment of the draft community that believes, if you don't have a franchise quarterback, then you take one when the opportunity presents itself. Sure, it's unlikely that a QB is atop the Texans's draft board when positional importance isn't considered, but quarterback is the most important position in the game. UCF's Blake Bortles has emerged from this process as the best quarterback prospect in the class. He has prototypical size, awareness, arm strength, and athleticism. He is the passer with the least amount of question marks, and thus the best pick for the Texans.

The Case for Another QB
    Sure, Bortles may have the momentum now. But where was he during the college football season? Y'know, when meaningful games were actually played. During the fall, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater was by and large viewed as the best QB prospect in this class. Now that the tape measures and stopwatches have been pulled out, suddenly that's supposed to change? And what about Johnny Football? This kid is electric, and could really provide a boost as a hometown hero for the Houston Texans franchise. The Texans should take a QB, but not one from Central Florida.

The Case for a Non-QB
    Is there anyone who can say with a straight face that any of the quarterbacks in this class are Top Five overall prospects? Above Clowney, Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, Mack? You're kidding yourself if you believe that. Even Texans head coach Bill O'Brien doesn't sound convinced, as he made it a point to talk about how there are more than just the three big names in this class, specifically mentioning McCarron, Mettenberger, Garoppolo, even guys like Logan Thomas and Tom Savage. Houston will be able to get a quality quarterback at the start of Day Two. They shouldn't pass on a potential blue chip prospect in order to select a merely good quarterback just to fill their need.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Re: 2014 NFL Draft Poll #1: With the 1st pick, the Texans take...

A lot of the moves they have made so far indicates to me it will be Bortles. Then again, this could mean that they draft a QB later. However, I kind of feel this Texans team is in the same position the Rams were. A few parallels. So many people were advocating drafting a DL (Suh) and picking QB later. (I was one of those, glad it didn't happen.) So when teams get in this position I think they throw a lot of smokescreen but its in the best interest of the franchise to pick the QB. Especially if he is worth it, which Bortles seems to be so far.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

Bortles makes the most sense, seems like a fit, and there's hardly any reason for the Texans to start a smokescreen because they can even sign their guy before the draft. With that being said I picked another QB - Johnny Football- because the Texans shocked just about everyone when they picked Mario Williams over Bush and could do the same again. Also, everyone else picked Bortles and that's boring, Johnny played college ball in Texas, and I think he could do nicely in their system. I'll probably be dead wrong but who knows, maybe I'll look like a genius.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

TJ Yates, Case Keenum, Ryan Fitzpatrick. I don't see a starter in that group. With that, Bortles has to be the choice.

However, maybe they get the better player in Clowney or Mack, and take their QB next year. Meaning that O'brien's 1st season immediately falls into either:

1. Lose-a-ton for Wins-ton, or
    2. Lose-a-lotta for Marri-otta.
    Warner Pride likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timsum1283 View Post
    Bortles makes the most sense, seems like a fit, and there's hardly any reason for the Texans to start a smokescreen because they can even sign their guy before the draft. With that being said I picked another QB - Johnny Football- because the Texans shocked just about everyone when they picked Mario Williams over Bush and could do the same again. Also, everyone else picked Bortles and that's boring, Johnny played college ball in Texas, and I think he could do nicely in their system. I'll probably be dead wrong but who knows, maybe I'll look like a genius.
    Yah just never can tell eh? Even if you missed or whiffed on the pick you won't look too bad so many good choices... Although I happen to have swung in to the Bortles pick as a choice it just makes too much sense even though I like allot these QB's this season. There may be more than one team drafts a couple of these young guys hoping to catch some lighting in a bottle or (Bortle) so to speak... LOL

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be shocked if they grab Bortles... but for the 1st pick, I'm just not convinced they won't grab BPA (read: Clowney Robinson Matthews Watkins), and then try to trade up into the later first round to get a qb (or wait and hope for the best at the top of round 2). Fitz is good enough to buy them some time bringing their bottom of 1st/top of 2nd qb draft pick up to speed.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Bortles, me too (without peeking at Vote Results). Texans are in major regrouping mode and this rookie QB is likely their 1st priority.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

I wouldnt be surprised if they went Clowney or Mack. People about had a heart attack when they passed up Bush, for Williams. That said the QB play was so poor(how many weeks in a row did they have a pick six?) and Fitz isn't the answer so I would have to think Bortles.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

The Case for a Non-QB Is there anyone who can say with a straight face that any of the quarterbacks in this class are Top Five overall prospects? Above Clowney, Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, Mack? You're kidding yourself if you believe that. Even Texans head coach Bill O'Brien doesn't sound convinced, as he made it a point to talk about how there are more than just the three big names in this class, specifically mentioning McCarron, Mettenberger, Garoppolo, even guys like Logan Thomas and Tom Savage. Houston will be able to get a quality quarterback at the start of Day Two. They shouldn't pass on a potential blue chip prospect in order to select a merely good quarterback just to fill their need.
    My vote went for a non-Qb. Nick do you think there is any possibility the Texans trade the pick? If this is truly a deep draft, more picks particularly in rounds 2 and 3 would seem of high value. Your thoughts?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    My vote went for a non-Qb. Nick do you think there is any possibility the Texans trade the pick? If this is truly a deep draft, more picks particularly in rounds 2 and 3 would seem of high value. Your thoughts?
    It's possible, but I think it'd be unlikely. I don't think a team is going to trade into that spot for a QB, so it'd have to be for someone else. And if you're convinced Houston is taking a QB, then you don't have to deal with them.

Houston's job, if they want to move down, will be to convince people they may not be taking a QB. Hence, why a lot of their top people are reportedly having dinner with Clowney the night before his workout.