richtree is offline Registered User

2014 Offensive Line -- ? marks

Long Joseph Wells Saffold Barksdale
    LT LG C RG RT

^^^^^^^soo........

With this potentially being the Rams offensive line for Game #1, does this change our outlook on a Round 1 OT ?

How would you rate the above line ?

Obviously, with injuries concerns and depth questions (S.Smith gone) we are in the need of more players....but where/when, how ?

I love to hear thoughts as of today with a potential Oline in place and a strategy moving foward and feelings on the ranking of this unit that is traditionally been a problem with the Rams for years....

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: 2014 Offensive Line -- ? marks

I think you can't count out a #1 OT as they would be an improvement over Barksdale at RT and at Joseph (presuming he is signed) at OG. All the while playing and learning for a couple of years before taking over for Jake Long. It all depends on Long's come back from injury too.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think you can't count out a #1 OT as they would be an improvement over Barksdale at RT and at Joseph (presuming he is signed) at OG. All the while playing and learning for a couple of years before taking over for Jake Long. It all depends on Long's come back from injury too.
    Agreed, do you think with that OT and the above Olineman that we have enough to compete as a playoff team (offensive line wise only)

It still feels like something is missing.....anyone agree ?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I would like us to pick up a C in the draft. Maybe in the 3rd/ 4th round. Someone who can either start right away or step in should Wells get injured this year and start the year after.

Other than that, I want the Rams to pick Robinson, and play him at OG or RT for a year. I'd be interested to see how Barksdale would fair inside at guard too

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I would like us to pick up a C in the draft. Maybe in the 3rd/ 4th round. Someone who can either start right away or step in should Wells get injured this year and start the year after.

Other than that, I want the Rams to pick Robinson, and play him at OG or RT for a year. I'd be interested to see how Barksdale would fair inside at guard too

I think these ideas make me feel better....anyone know No. 113 - Barrett Jones, C, Alabama

Do we still have high hopes on Jones ?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Here are my thoughts...

When healthy not sure it will be week one. I can see a few combo that work for me.

LT Long
    LG Saffold
    C Wells
    RG Jackson-rookie
    RT Matthews-rookie

If we take Matthews I'd prefer that he starts out at RT, but that leaves a hole at guard so we could add a guy like Jackson. If Jones or a vet can beat him out that works too, gives us some depth and we can start building a younger line for the future.

LT Long
    LG Saffold
    C Wells
    RG Robinson-rookie
    RT Barksdale

If we draft Robinson I'd have no problem with him starting off at RG and the moving him to T down the road. Once Robinson moves outside Jackson could be the starting guard playing next to him. Robinson and Jackson would be a load. Barksdale is a free agent next year.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think these ideas make me feel better....anyone know No. 113 - Barrett Jones, C, Alabama

Do we still have high hopes on Jones ?
    I do, hope he can compete for the center spot this year or maybe get a good look at guard. Long term I still think he is the center of the future. He may not be big enough at guard, but he is smart and that is needed to play center.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    With this potentially being the Rams offensive line for Game #1, does this change our outlook on a Round 1 OT ?
    No, because if you draft an offensive tackle with the Rams' first pick, you're doing it with more than 2014 in mind. You're doing it because you have a great opportunity to secure the blind side protection of your franchise quarterback for the next 8-10 years. We're not far enough from the memories of what a bad left tackle looked like; we shouldn't pass on the opportunity to keep Bradford protected from blind side hits for years to come.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I seriously doubted the Rams would pick an OT at #2 previously. Still don't think it's likely at all.

Barrett Jones practiced all last season at RG. I think moving him to LG or C is possible but LG is most likely.

Why do people act as if it's easy to move offensive linemen around? I've seen people suggest Robinson could play every position except C. That's seriously not the norm. Reading the assignment, footwork, pulling speed, hand work and balance are all learned and trained differently.

Robinson has played LT for 2 years of college.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I don't see Saffold and Long as big ? any more than most NFL starter. Scott Wells is a very solid center, he's just been hurt.

Barksdale beat out Saffold for the RT job, and Boudreau really likes his upside. He's been OK at RT.

They need a guard, an a backup tackle/guard, but they do have four starters returning as of now.

Dahl will probably be re-signed as a backup as well.
    Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams will wait and see how Long is recovering from his injury before making any decisions on what to do in the draft. If Long is ahead of schedule and recovering nicely by the time of the draft, I can see the Rams going with someone other than an OT at #2 and draft OL in the middle rounds. It wouldn't be one of the better lines, but you could do a lot worse than a Long - Joseph - Wells - Saffold - Barksdale line

Mikey is offline Registered User

My draft strategy hasn't changed at all. I see three guys starting with serious injury risks attached to their names in Long, Saffold and Wells. I see question marks at who's the other guard other than Saffold. Barksdale was an adequate at best starter who we picked up off the scrap heap, to use the term somebody else used prior. And I see absolutely nothing but Barrett Jones, Mike Person and Brandon Washington backing them up. There's a lot of discussion about what we can do to make our defense elite and that's supposed to win us a championship all by itself. It doesn't matter that there are more question marks on the line than healthy, talented players.

If we leave this line as is what happens if Long isn't ready week one? What happens when Wells or Saffold get hurt again? What happens if Barksdale reverts to the scrap heap he was that resulted in the Raiders cutting him? Can Barrett Jones evolve into a quality lineman? Can this line full of question marks keep Sam upright with ample time for his WR's to run their routes and get open? Can they open holes for Stacy and keep him from getting hit behind the line of scrimmage like he did week 17 last year vs the SeaDucks?

If this line can win us a championship than by all means ignore it in the draft and the rest of free agency. I see a greater potential for a disaster OLine than I do a good OLine.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Week one, the (Jake Long's ACL) pessimistic view:
    LT Matthews(R)
    LG Joseph or other FA
    C Jones or Rookie
    RG Saffold
    RT Barksdale

Week One, everyone healthy view:
    LT Matthews(R)
    LG Joseph or other FA
    C Jones or Rookie
    RG Saffold
    RT Long

Yeah, that's right. Grab the polished LT after the short trade down and plug him in on the left side for years and years. I said we should put Long on the right side because I thought that his pass blocking had slipped a bit and hey, his contract doesn't look so big and left tackle-y now, does it? I figure that Wells will get cut for someone else to take it, either a rookie(though I haven't heard much about the centers in this draft) or a free agent out there(unfortunately Costa signed already, he'd ahve been cheap with upside), or Jones comes in. In this scenario, Barksdale is our top backup and being on the right side suits him well to take over for the two injury prone guys on that side.
    I believe!