Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: 2014 Offseason

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

2014 Offseason

I hate to be "that guy" that starts an offseason thread 4 games into the season, but I have already heard some chatter about what we need to do so I figured I might as well post my thoughts. There's a lot of football still left to play, but it's all in fun anyway, right? These draft picks are assuming we and the Redskins were to finish where we currently are.

Free Agency

Sign Ben Tate RB Houston- He is in the last year of his contract and has shown what he can do. I'm sure he would like to get out of Arian Foster's shadow. Similar to Michael Turner when he left SD for ATL.

Sign Jairus Byrd FS Buffalo- He was franchised and I have heard he want's out of Buffalo. Great veteran signing. Pair him with TJ and I think we would have a pretty good pair of safeties.

Not sure on how much cap space we have, but if worse came to worse we might be able to cut Finnegan considering how he has played.

Draft

1st Round Pick 1- Jake Mathews OT Texas A&M- Whether or not Jake Long works out, we are going to need an OT with Saffold most likely departing and Mathews should be the best of the bunch.

1st Round Pick 2- Louis Nix DT Notre Dame- This may not be a popular pick due to our woes on offense, but I would like to see us complete our defense. I feel like with the signing of Byrd, signing of Dunbar this season, and drafting of Nix, we would essentialy do just that. The best DT in the draft to pair with Brockers. I almost took Mike Evans WR from Texas A&M here, but I am possibly foolishly holding out hope that we can develop another outside receiver opposite Givens, with what we have.

2nd Round- Louchiez Purifoy CB Florida- This would be the pick if we let Finnegan go. Someone to possibly start opposite Jenkins, or at least play nickel and push Johnson for the starting job. If we keep Finnegan, the top OG on the board would be picked here.

2nd Round (Trade Up-Our 3rd Rounder plus compensation)- Cyril Richardson OG Baylor- Instant starter we have been needing at LG.

QB- Bradford RB- Tate TE- Cook LT- Long LG- Richardson C- Wells RG-Dahl RT- Mathews WR1- Givens WR2- Quick (Praying Lol!) WR3- Austin

DE- Long DT- Nix DT- Brockers DE- Quinn OLB- Dunbar MLB- Lauranaitis OLB- Ogletree CB- Jenkins FS- Byrd SS- McDonald CB- Johnson

So what do you guys think? I don't think this is too far fetched and would improve our team immensely. If we can't win with this team, we need to throw in the towel!
    Last edited by bigdogg2834; -10-01-2013 at 01:05 AM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: 2014 Offseason

I really don't think Ben Tate is a good fit if we are keeping the WCO with Bradford. We need a RB that can both run and catch the ball and have big play capability. Tate is a bigger back in a zone block scheme., not a good fit for us.

PS -- IF we are out of the chase early this year, I would trade Givens. He is not a long term WR option.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I would trade Givens. He is not a long term WR option.
    How did you determine this?

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I really don't think Ben Tate is a good fit if we are keeping the WCO with Bradford. We need a RB that can both run and catch the ball and have big play capability. Tate is a bigger back in a zone block scheme., not a good fit for us.

PS -- IF we are out of the chase early this year, I would trade Givens. He is not a long term WR option.
    Not sure why we would trade a guy who has been our best receiver lately when we are weak at the position already?
    Who would you suggest as a RB option in free agency or the draft?

RosieJones is offline Registered User

No one will probably agree with this, but the time is coming, in my opinion, for the Rams to part ways with Sam Bradford. 2014 is as good a time as any.
    Bradford seems to have been David Carred during his time in St. Louis and may never play up to his talent level. When you see shots of him on the sideline half the time he almost looks dead inside, and that's just sad.

A parting of the ways and a fresh start may be best for both parties.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I tend to agree with richtree on the Ben Tate front. I'm not particularly enamored with him, at least not enough to go out and spend some quality free agent dollars there. I worry that, in the spotlight on a different team, he'll falter. The Byrd signing is nice if the cap room is there.

It's really early so obviously this could change, but I figure a team is going to need one Top 5 pick for Matthews and one Top 15-20 pick for Nix. Fortunately, the Rams and Redskins look more than willing to oblige those conditions. I love Matthews and think he'd be a great selection if we can make it happen.
    ManofGod likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

As much as I'd love to see either Lee or Evans in the horns, due to our team needs it would be better to grab Matthews, Richardson, and Nix. If we can get these three guys and sign Byrd then that's a wonderful offseason baring injury.