Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rambos

Thread: 2014 - What Remains

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

2014 - What Remains

After apparently filled some more holes in a second straight great off season, one wonders what will be left when next year's draft arrives.

Clearly, the Rams appear set at QB, at least to me, but they will know more about Austin Davis and could look for a backup in round three or four in what looks to be a banner year for QBs again, with as many as five going in round one.

The Rams will either have RB as a top priority or it won't be a need, depending on how the young backs the team has do with a chance to start. That's agood thing if they succeed as it looks like another dismal crop of RB next draft.

Clearly OT is going to be a huge need, with Rodger Saffold probably moving on after this season. Not taking an OT high seems more a product of the way the draft fell, and perhaps Fisher not wanting to lose Saffold early by taking a starting type RT. They weren't going to trade this guy for peanuts either.

With it being another great year for OT, led by Jake Mathews, a guy Fisher will no doubt be after, even if it means trading up. However, five tackels are predicted in round one as of now.

I see Barrett Jones taking over at center, but if they cut Dahl, and they have not found something this year in Williams or another guy, and especially if Watkins isn't the guy, a guard could be a r eal focus next year, but only one or two are expected to be in round one, particularly Gabe Jackson.

It's not a great looking year at TE, but at WR it features some real talent. Fortunately it will be gone before the Rams pick, and is not a need anyway.

The Rams could also be looking DT, with Langford possibly being let go to save cap.

Only one DT is predicted to be a sure round one guy though, Louis Nix out of Notre Dame.

However, there are some big school guys at FSU, LSU, Cal and OK State who could push round one when it is all said and done.

The Rams won't need DE, and certainly won't get a shot at J. Clowney, but the four DE that will go in round one before the Rams hopefully, will not be guys they would want, seeing the lack of need.

It's another good year for OLB though, where they will have a big need if Dunbar leaves. They'll move Ogletree to Will at that point, and SAM guys should be easy to find. In the draft, y ou have Cj Mosley of Alabama leading the wa, with three or so more going in round one. Again, some top schools have some top rated guys here, especially UCLA, BYU, Alabama, and FSU.

The Rams probably won't need a cornerback, but at least four will go in round one next year again.

The safety hole could still remain in 2014, but it looks like only one , Alabama's Hasean Clinton-Dix is a projection now to go in round one. Looks like some real solid second round safeties again though.

It all shapes up nicely for the Rams, providing no one gets seriously hurt to create a hole.

This year, they got some of the few outside speed talents early, on both sides of the ball, while most teams went meat and potatoes with big guys.

next year, with so many more "skill" position guys in round one the Rams could get some great bargains at DT, OT, G, S, and OLB.

Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 2014 - What Remains

Good points.

My preliminary target list for next year would include...

-Offensive tackle: Saffold will most likely be gone after 2013, so there will be an immediate need @ RT. Ideally, it would be nice to get someone with enough athleticism to play on the left side too, in case Jake Long doesn't work out like we hope he does.

-Safety: The Rams likely feel like they have one of their safeties in McDonald, but Stewart is not this regime's choice so they could look to upgrade.

-Defensive tackle: Just as you said, Langford may end up being a cap casualty after this season. Finding a penetrator to line up next to Brockers for the long haul would be nice.

-SAM 'backer: Depending on how often the Rams line up in their base package, this may not be a huge need. Dunbar is a free agent after this season, so the Rams may opt for a younger player.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

One thing that stands out to me is we only have two starters that will be free agents next year.

Jo-Lonn Dunbar
    Rodger Saffold

It's fair to say Saffold will be gone. But man we will be in great shape to sign free agents not having to worry about a long list of our own players.
    Nick and MauiRam like this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Holy smokes if we end up drafting Jake Matthews I will be absolutely thrilled. Jake Long and Jake Matthews anchoring our line...whooooop.

I think personally our biggest need next year is either a ball-hawking safety or a penetrator DT.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    One thing that stands out to me is we only have two starters that will be free agents next year.

Jo-Lonn Dunbar
    Rodger Saffold

It's fair to say Saffold will be gone. But man we will be in great shape to sign free agents not having to worry about a long list of our own players.
    I'm not convinced yet that Saffold will be gone or that his attitude will be a problem. Winning is a fantastic salve and I am not sure how much of what has happened is the agent.

Also, what will this board be if we can not complain about needing a WR? I just can't imagine what will happen.
    Semper Fi!