Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

With the 242nd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Mark Setterstrom, G, Minnesota

Info on the way!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: With the 242nd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Mark Setterstrom, G, Minnesota

we finally get an O-line person!!

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: With the 242nd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Mark Setterstrom, G, Minnesota

This guy was named all Big 10 twice and blocked for a couple of good running backs. Good depth pick that could develop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    This guy was named all Big 10 twice

Thats good but why didnt he get drafted higher...??? can you anwser this Nick?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Thats good but why didnt he get drafted higher...??? can you anwser this Nick?
    Most public boards had him higher than the seventh round. I viewed him as an early to mid Day Two guard prospect. I think his size may have been a concern for some teams.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

hes size huh?..... but im glad we got him

general counsel is offline Registered User

over 6 foot 3 and 315 and people are concerned that he is too small!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Nick how good is he!
    RamsFan16

general counsel is offline Registered User

I love the idea that he was a 4 year starter, 50 starts! coach him up.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

i think hes a steal...has starter potential

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

Its off topic but Tye Hill looks like a child next to Scott Linehan.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Cmon. When he gets 5 INTs next year. Will you be saying that.
    RamsFan16

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

back to setterstorm-wonder if he`ll end up starting more games than his journey`d big bro??

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: With the 242nd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Mark Setterstrom, G, Minne

Highlights Video:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects?rank_type=7

From GopherSports.com:
    Has established himself as one of the top guards in the nation • received preseason All-America recognition by Street & Smith’s • ranked as the No. 3 guard in the nation by Lindy’s • has a good blend of size and speed which can’t be overstated in recognizing his value to the offensive line and the Gophers‘ zone-blocking scheme • durable lineman with great feel who gets better as the game wears on • owner of a workmanlike attitude who is strictly business on the field • has a great sense of his surroundings and is unintimidated by any situation.
    Leaving His Legacy - Senior Mark Setterstrom
    Golden Gopher head football coach Glen Mason will be the first to tell you that he is going to be extremely sad to see this year’s senior class go. The senior class is packed not only with talent, but with character and class. These men are not just good football players; they are good people.

A prime example of this bunch is starting guard Mark Setterstrom. He is a physical specimen, who has established himself as one of the top guards in the nation while also displaying a blue-collar work ethic that has helped him improve each day. There may be a few guys who come along that can match Setterstrom’s combination of size, speed, or athleticism. However, it is safe to say that Golden Gopher coaches will struggle to find the kind of person that Mark Setterstrom is, combined with his athletic talent. He is the model student-athlete. Mason realizes this. He is realistic and knows that he only gets to work with his players for three to five years. His attitude is not to lament the loss of great athletes, but to appreciate having them around.

After a practice last spring, he called Setterstrom over to tell him how much he appreciated him. He walked up, put his arm around him and said, “Mark, I’m going to enjoy every minute with you the next year.” “Why would you say that?” the humble Setterstrom replied. “Because, I’m going to miss the heck out of you when you’re gone,” Mason stated.

It’s not only the head coach who has taken a liking to the four-year starter. Setterstrom has received plenty of acclaim from the media, fans and other coaches during his years at the U of M, but to have the head coach, come up to him and praise him like that was incredible. “I felt pretty privileged, to have him say something like that,” Setterstrom said. “He is a great coach, and he has inspired me a lot over the years. It’s great playing for a guy like that, who makes you feel like all that hard work is appreciated. It makes it all worth it.”

Setterstrom deserves the praise. One does not achieve what he has without putting the time in, on the practice field, in the weight room, watching film and hitting the books. Not only has he started all 39 games in his career, but he has also improved and become one of the best in the nation at his position, all due to hard work.

“You are not going to find a finer young man in college football than Mark Setterstrom. He doesn’t say a word. All he does is work and work and work. He brings it every day,” said Mason.

Setterstrom himself credits his hard work as the key to his success. “The most important thing I’ve learned in my time here is that anything you want to accomplish takes hard work. You have to put in a lot of hours. The more time you put in on your own, the better you are going to be. Football takes a lot of dedication,” the senior guard commented.

Although Setterstrom has put the time in to become an elite lineman, his career donning the Maroon and Gold has flown by. It seems like only yesterday that the wide-eyed freshman out of Northfield, Minn., was put into the starting lineup to do battle in the trenches of one of the toughest conferences in college football. Setterstrom cannot believe that it was three full seasons ago, when he was adjusting to the speed of the collegiate game. He reminisces about his “Welcome to the Big Ten” moment in his first Big Ten game against Purdue.

“My freshman year, in the Big Ten opener, there was a play that was blown dead, and I was still kind of going. I got knocked down by one of the big linebackers that Purdue had at the time. He stood over me and said, ‘Welcome to the Big Ten.’ It seems almost like it was from a movie, but that made me learn pretty quick what I was in for,” Setterstrom remembered.

Nowadays it is Setterstrom who is punishing opposing linebackers and welcoming them to the Big Ten. Talking to him, you wouldn’t know it though. Full of excitement in his younger years, the upperclassman has developed a maturity that has made him more composed. Through his experience, Setterstrom has learned how to turn it on during games, and become more laid back.

“It’s a maturity factor,” Setterstrom said. “Playing right away my freshman year, I was very excited. It happened so fast and everything flew by. I was just trying to keep up. I didn’t know what to expect. As the years went on, I learned the times to turn it on and buckle it up, but there is also a time to get your mental game ready. Now I’m confident in my abilities, so it’s easier to play my hardest and play well. I don’t have to worry about technical things as much.”

His maturity is further noticed when he talks about his career endeavors. Even with a probable NFL career looming after the 2005 season, Setterstrom claims that his effort in the classroom will not be compromised. In fact, because his degree is so important to him, he is taking more classes than usual during the season to attempt to complete it on time.

“I know that the best way to increase my opportunity at the next level would be to finish this year strong in all aspects. It’s important to keep sharp mentally too. I can’t just take a break. I want to finish my degree,” stated Setterstrom.

It is that kind of attitude that makes Setterstrom such a special player. Even with the potential of a professional career, he remains focused on finishing his civil engineering degree. Another attribute that has made the talented guard unique is his durability. Like most collegiate football players, Setterstrom has been nagged at times by minor injuries, but he has played through the pain and been lucky enough to not have any major setbacks.

“I’ve been blessed and lucky that I haven’t had any major injuries,” Setterstrom said. “I’ve been dinged up here and there and played through some pain. Like Coach Mason says, ‘Football is a tough game.’ I’ve really been lucky to be able to start every game in my career.”

One of the major assets of having Setterstrom around at this point in his career is his ability to teach the underclassmen on the offensive line. Not the most boisterous player, Setterstrom is a player who leads by example and demonstrates the right way to carry oneself as a student-athlete. There is no bad lesson that younger Golden Gophers could take away by trying to follow suit of “Sette” as he’s called by players and coaches. Setterstrom realizes that as a senior he is looked to for leadership and has tried to coach up his teammates whenever necessary.

“I definitely have tried to take on a leadership role,” he remarked. “We have some great young offensive linemen that I’m really trying to pass on what I’ve learned over the years. Technique pointers and things like that can really help a guy. Sometimes, we can give a different flavor, not to take away from the coaches, but they cannot watch every guy in every drill we do in practice. So I feel it’s my duty to help out with the younger guys.”

In a sport where 105 men are expected to come together and bond in hopes of reaching a common goal, it puts a team a step ahead having a guy like Mark Setterstrom as a leader. His team-first attitude is something every coach in the nation tries to get their players to embrace.

Mason recently said, “If Maroney (Laurence) scores, the hole might be big enough for me to score, and he (Setterstrom) goes and picks Maroney up and celebrates with his team. He is very unselfish. He embraces the idea of team in college football.”

Mason and Golden Gopher fans can expect to see similar scenarios even more this season. Not just because the Gopher offense is extremely talented, but because Setterstrom has not lost sight that when it comes down to it, football is fun. He is going to look back and think of his time in the Maroon and Gold as the best four years of his life.

“Going through this year’s two-a-days, it finally hit me. This is my last hurrah here. It’s been great and it’s gone by so fast,” he stated. “I wouldn’t change it for anything. I’ve played in a lot of games and had a lot of fun, but I really want to go out with a bang this year.”

Yet there is something missing, something that would top it off, something that would truly complete the legacy that Mark Setterstrom will leave behind.

What is that? The “bang” he speaks of, a Big Ten Championship.

“That’s the most important thing that keeps the drive going. To be able to accomplish that, I can’t even put into words what that would mean,” Setterstrom said.

After the 2005 season the University of Minnesota and Mark Setterstrom will part ways. He will be remembered as one of the Golden Gopher gridiron greats. A class act, a true student athlete, a talented football player and an overall nice guy, who hopefully is allowed to “go out with a bang.”
    From NFL Draft Countdown:
    Strengths:
    Technically sound...Athletic and mobile...Works well in space and can adjust on the move...Has a top motor and nasty demeanor on the field...Tough guy who is a hard worker...Very smart with top intangibles...Durable with a lot of experience as a four-year starter in the Big Ten...Helped lead the way for a top rushing attack.

Weaknesses:
    Needs to get stronger...Lacks ideal size and might not have the frame to get much bigger...Struggles with massive defensive tackles...Susceptible to the bull rush due to his lack of top bulk...Might need to be in the right style of offense.

Notes:
    Does not get as much attention as his teammate Greg Eslinger but he might be a better pro prospect...Not very flashy but excels by doing the little things...Will draw interest from teams who run zone blocking schemes like Denver & Atlanta.
    From NFL.com:
    Summary
    Setterstrom's older brother played offensive line at Northern Iowa and has been bouncing around on NFL practice squads the last two seasons. He is a smart, tough offensive lineman who consistently gets off the ball quickly, stays after his block and eliminates his man from the play consistently. He does a good job of bending his knees and blocking with a good, wide base, but he is not an attack-style blocker and often becomes a positional catch blocker. His quickness and playing speed will help him pull quickly to trap block the contain defender. Additionally, while he struggles to adjust when blocking on the move, his ability to get to the second level quickly and to pull and lead on outside runs is good enough to be solid in the NFL with improved technique and consistency. Setterstrom is the type of offensive lineman that is often overlooked because he lacks good all-around athletic ability and does not have the brute strength to make up for it. He will likely be a late draft pick who sticks in the NFL and is ideally suited to being a backup/No. 3 guard; guards like him often end up becoming solid, but unspectacular, starters due to the lack of offensive line depth in the NFL and free agency.

Strong Points
    Setterstrom is a tough and highly competitive guard who consistently plays to the limits of his ability. He has quicker-than-expected feet, which help him to consistently get out of his stance and set to block quickly. He can get through to the second level quickly and can seal-block linebackers out of the play well. His quickness and playing speed allow him to pull and lead block well on outside runs when the defender is on his track. He is a very good down/side blocker and can drive his man down the line of scrimmage easily. His ability to bend his knees and pass block with bent knees and a wide base help him consistently pass block well in a small area. He is a smart pass blocker who switches off with the other offensive linemen vs. defensive line stunts/loops and delayed blitzes.

Weaknesses
    Setterstrom is a straight-line athlete who lacks the agility to move and adjust well out in space. While he can block linebackers well in space when they are on his track, he cannot adjust when on the move. He can pass block well in a small area, but when he is forced to move his feet and adjust, he often ends up getting beaten too easily. Explosive off-the-ball defensive tackles can beat him through gaps too easily and he cannot re-direct and slide quick enough to handle very fast side-to-side pass-rush moves. He is not an aggressive fire-off-the-ball run blocker and cannot get movement on straight-ahead run blocks.

Athletic Ability
    Setterstrom is a good athlete on a straight line, but is limited in terms of his overall athleticism. He has quicker feet than you expect. He consistently has shown the ability to get to the second level quickly and has the playing speed to pull and lead on outside runs. He has surprising flexibility for a limited athlete and has shown the ability to bend his knees, sink his hips and block with a good, wide base. His quick feet and ability to pass block with a wide base enables Setterstrom to slide and adjust well in a small area. He lacks the agility to adjust and block well in space or when he has to move his feet a lot in pass protection. His quick feet help him consistently get moving at the snap quickly, which helps him to make the reach block on play-side defensive tackles despite not being able to get around and into good position.

Competitiveness
    Setterstrom is a tough offensive lineman who consistently has shown a willingness to play through pain to stay in the lineup. On the most important plays, he has shown a knack for blocking more aggressively, and when he does, he consistently finds a way to eliminate his man from the play -- even if it is not pretty. Setterstrom does a good job of pass blocking well in a small area and does a solid job of making positional run blocks. He has shown the ability to pull and make good lead blocks on outside runs when the defender is on his track, but struggles to adjust and make good blocks on the move. He does a good job of consistently getting through to the second level quickly and can seal block the linebacker out of the play, but cannot adjust quickly out in space. He is a highly competitive team player who always stays after his blocks from snap to whistle -- this helps him put linebackers on their backs when he can stay on his feet and maintain the block.

Mental Alertness
    He is a smart guard who consistently has shown his intelligence with his good pass-blocking technique and his ability to effectively make reach blocks despite not having the athleticism to get around the defensive tackle into good position. He has good instincts and identifies defensive line stunts/loops and delayed blitzes well, but he lacks the agility to consistently react quick enough to make blocks. He does a very good job of staying focused and maintaining concentration on every snap. He often gets his man blocked out of the play despite not being in good position.

Strength/Explosion
    Setterstrom has good height for a guard and decent bulk/size, but is not big. He has been a durable guard at Minnesota, and with his competitiveness and toughness, he will be a durable NFL guard. He is not an explosive player despite having quick feet. He does not fire off the ball on run blocks and does not have any real hip snap when he blocks. He has good playing strength holding ground vs. bull rushers and overpowering linebackers on the second level, but he lacks the burst strength to get movement on straight-ahead run blocks.
    From Rivals.com:
    He is similar to the Rams’ Adam Timmerman in size, savvy, athleticism and technique development. He is a tough, aggressive and dependable lineman with some further upside after proper strength training. He will be a good second day pick with the ability to be a surprise starter.
    Pros: Setterstrom shows sound technique that utilizes his agility and speed as both a drive blocker inside and when he pulls to the outside. He is one of the better pulling guards in recent years. As a drive blocker, he is quick on the snap and uses sound hand placement. He completes the block with good technique. As a pass blocker he is well developed and relies on quick hand placement and a solid base to stop the initial charge. He has fine football intelligence with the work ethic on and off the field to overcome marginal size. He is highly competitive and durable. He moves well on the second level. He is best suited as a zone blocker and is proficient at combination blocks with the quickness to release and get a second defender. He is a tough, blue-collar type who plays with some nastiness and works until the whistle blows.
    Cons: His marginal size is a concern inside. He is not the type of blocker who is known for power and will not drive a bigger defensive lineman off the ball. He needs to improve his upper body strength to improve his hand punch. Sometimes struggled to control the top collegiate tackles.
    Numbers: At the NFL Combine he ran the 40-yard dash in 5.43 seconds with a 26.5” vertical jump and an 8’4” broad jump. He did 19 reps of the 225-pound bench press.
    Skinny: He is similar to the Rams’ Adam Timmerman in size, savvy, athleticism and technique development. He is a tough, aggressive and dependable lineman with some further upside after proper strength training. He will be a good second day pick with the ability to be a surprise starter.
    From TheFootballGenius.com:
    02/05/2006

Currently rated as a borderline First Day pick by most gurus, Minnesota OG Mark Setterstrom is clearly a bargain in Round 3 according to TFG, especially for offensive line schemes that pull and trap the guards a lot as opposed to primarily staying put inside. Mark is outstanding in space and more than holds his own inside. Athletically gifted, smart, experienced against top competition, durable, and of high character, Mark Setterstrom is a classic example of what TFG looks for in NFL Draft prospects.

01/29/06

After reading all week about how Minnesota OG Mark Setterstrom was being abused in the Senior Bowl practices, TFG focused on Mark during the actual Senior Bowl game, and did not see anyone “abusing” Mark. Indeed, Mark graded out very highly and was really not beaten all game except for one double-team with Nick Mangold where both Mark and Mangold abandoned the double at the same time (the type of nonsense is to be expected in an all star game with three days of practice). Needless to say, Setterstrom played at a very high level his final two games: the Music City Bowl against Virginia, where he handled Howie Long’s talented son one-on-one several times, and the Senior Bowl.

12/30/05

Minnesota OLG Mark Setterstrom is yet another Big 10 interior OL with a very impressive resume that scores highly with TFG. Start with that 27-1 record as a high school wrestler – check out that bio, folks and fans. Setterstrom is clearly not an “unknown,” but the simple truth is that the outstanding Minnesota Center Greg Eslinger gets more attention. To appreciate Setterstrom, one has to watch him and just him. The last time TFG observed a college OG grade out that highly, it was Ryan Lilja of Kansas State in 2003. Setterstrom is not a “mauler” but, like Lilja, he is very smart, quick and athletic and handles his assignments extremely well, often throwing two quality blocks on two different defenders on the same play. Right now Setterstrom is “settling in” around Round 3 on most guru boards. TFG would put the “value” tag on Setterstrom if he fell to Round 3. Setterstrom is more suited for teams that employ smaller, quicker OLs, but is clearly capable of playing OLG in any OL scheme in the NFL at a high level right away, and that is TFG’s definition of a value in Round 3.
    From ESPN.com:
    Strengths: Is a fine athlete for the position. Shows good quickness and COD skills. Plays with balance and body control. Takes excellent first step and angles as a run blocker. Is an absolute technician. Is rarely out of place. Does an outstanding job of finding his assignment and establishing positioning in zone-blocking scheme. Has a quick set in pass pro. Shows good later mobility and the ability to mirror and slide. A scrappy blocker. Does a good job of hand-placement and will fight to finish. Is tough and aggressive. Does a good job of picking up the blitz and is able to shuffle back to the inside. Experience and durability are unparalleled.

Weaknesses: Is somewhat undersized and lacks the frame to improve his bulk much. Will never be great in the phone booth. Lacks explosive power and does not show the ability to jar defenders with initial punch. Not a good fit in a power-run scheme. Will have trouble getting movement vs. massive two-gap DT's in the running game. Will also have trouble anchoring vs. powerful bull rushers in the NFL. Is quick and takes great angles, but he lacks ideal speed. Has less-than-ideal experience in pass pro and needs to refine his technique.

Overall: Setterstrom started all 13 games at OG as a true freshman in 2002 and has been a fulltime starter since. He started all 38 games during his first three seasons (2002-'04), including all 12 in 2004, when he was a first-team All-Big Ten honoree by the media and second-team All-Big Ten selection by the coaches. He remained a fulltime starter for the Gophers as a senior in 2005 and he started 50 consecutive games to finish his collegiate career. Setterstrom lacks ideal size and does not have a great base as an interior lineman. He will not fit well in a power-running attack in the NFL and his lack of size will limit his ability to hold up one-on-one in certain matchups. However, for teams such as the Broncos or Colts, who emphasize athleticism and efficiency over size and strength, Setterstrom is a perfect fit. He is quick, tough, technically sound and mobile. He is a better run blocker than pass protector at this point. For teams looking for more of a technician than a mauler, Setterstrom is worth considering in the fourth-to-fifth round range of the 2006 draft.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -04-30-2006 at 08:21 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Thanks for the excellent info Evil Disco Man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast