Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

With the 243rd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Tony Palmer, G, Missouri

Info on the way!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: With the 243rd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Tony Palmer, G, Missouri

LOL he doesnt have to move accross the country like other people....example Vernon Davis Maryland to San Fran!!! good pick!! GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -04-30-2006 at 05:52 PM.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: With the 243rd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Tony Palmer, G, Missouri

Another OL pick that should appease Mr. Soprano.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

SFCRamFan,

They brought in 2 Guards, so I can't complain!

Thanks

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Remember this.

8.39 knockdown blocks per game
    Thats what Palmer averaged in his last 2 seasons!!!!

Man I'm pumped about this pick!
    RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

he also benched 225 lbs 41 times i think!

Really? I couldn't find anything on it since he wasn't invited to the combine and didn't say anything about his pro day besides his 40x's.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

From NFL Draft Scout:

The stout left offensive guard has been a major reason the Tigers have had so much offensive success the last three seasons. He is literally a pancake-making factory, averaging 8.39 knockdown blocks per game during his last two years. One of the most powerful blockers in the collegiate ranks, he wowed pro scouts when he bench pressed 225 pounds 41 times recently.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Wow! And Nick is 8.39 knockdown blocks per game good?
    RamsFan16

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    SFCRamFan,

They brought in 2 Guards, so I can't complain!

Thanks
    It looks as if this draft had something for everyone to feel good about. I know that you would have liked some picks earlier, but I do not believe that these guys are slouches. I think that they are quality late round selections that can provide depth now.

:up:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

From MUTigers.com:
    2005 Team Captain
    •2004 2nd-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches)
    •2004 Hon. Men. All-Big 12 (A.P.)
    •2004 Team Hammer Award Winner (Most big hits)
    •2004 Team Offensive Lineman of the Year
    •2003 Hon. Men. All-Big 12 (A.P., Coaches)
    •2002 4th-Team Freshman All-American (The Sporting News)
    •2002 Big 12 All-Freshman Team (The Sporting News)
    •2002 Team Interior Lineman of the Year
    Tony Palmer Senior Feature
    A look back on Tony Palmer's Standout Career

Nov. 8, 2005

Football coaches refer to linemen as "big, mean, uglies," which is exactly what Tony Palmer is on the field every fall. Besides that, "He's all bark and no bite," fellow teammate Brad Smith said. Palmer has been sporting the black and gold colors for five years now, and has been a consistent starter four of those years. Palmer came to Columbia in 2001, originally scouted as a ferocious defensive lineman and recruited only by Mizzou and Oklahoma as an offensive lineman. The Midwest City, Okla., native decided to leave his home state to become a Tiger, a credit to Gary Pinkel's recruiting staff. A redshirt his first year, Palmer played for the scout team gaining experience and impressing the Tiger coaching staff enough to receive starting honors the very next season.

It so happens, quarterback sensation Brad Smith, who considers Palmer one of his better friends, also made his college debut that same season and says, "That's my friend, first of all. We've been here together since we both started, so he's a guy that I trust and a guy who doesn't like it when someone touches me (on the field)."

In that same campaign Palmer experienced what he claims is the most exciting game of his career to date. On Oct. 5, 2002, the young Tiger team faced a much more balanced, dangerous team in number No. 3 Oklahoma. The game was a thrill to be a part of Palmer would later say and was also a treat to watch, even though the Sooners prevailed, 31-24. A tough loss to take in, but Tony stated, "It was one of our first games that I thought we played as a team."

The Tigers finished the 2002 season with a 5-7 record and finished 2-6 in the Big 12. The young lineman was named to the Big 12 All-Freshman and Fourth-Team Freshman All-American teams. Palmer also claimed offensive co-player of the week for his efforts against Troy State, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

The following season, Mizzou Football jumped off on the right foot, winning its first four games in 2003 before hitting a few speed bumps. Palmer was a starter for the offensive line which helped the Tigers put dazzling amounts of points on the scoreboard throughout the year. Palmer once again received All-Big 12 honors, and it was obvious that the offensive guard was on his way to a very distinguished career. Mizzou finished the season 8-5, ending with a 4-4 record in the Big 12, but lost a tough game to Arkansas in the Independence Bowl.

In 2004, Palmer was rewarded as Mizzou offensive lineman of the year. He was once again a key starter that led the team into battle all eleven games that season. Though the Tigers were not able to repeat their 2003 bowl appearance, Palmer excelled at his position, receiving honors not just from the media, but also from league coaches as a Second Team All-Big 12 performer.

As of today, Palmer still starts at the same offensive line position, leading his team to battle any given Saturday. So far, the Tigers are among the tops not just in the Big 12, but also in the NCAA, ranking highly in offensive production. The team especially excels in the running aspect of the offensive attack and are quickly becoming more balanced with an improved passing scheme. The season is not even half over, but Palmer has already received honors as one of this year's team captains.

"Being a team captain means you get a little more responsibility," Palmer said. "You've got to make sure the players are all lined up. You have to approach everything with a positive attitude. That's the main thing I focus on, that everything is positive. I'll go out to practice and get everybody encouraged and lifted up."

Going into today's game against Iowa State, the team's third Big 12 opponent of the season, Palmer did not speak of any specific personal goals but spoke of one that the whole team agrees on.

"The main goal is just to win and definitely get this team to a Big 12 Championship."

P a l m e r, a n offensive line prospect, was named the Blue Chip Offensive Lineman of the Year in the state of Oklahoma and was a double-threat player in high school known for his defensive skills, racking up 133 tackles and 11 forced fumbles (six in his senior year).

It turns out that Palmer is not the only featured Tiger to come from Midwest City. Former All-Conference cornerback and 1998 Insight.com Bowl MVP Julian Jones hails from the same area of the state as does current defensive lineman Lorenzo Williams. When it came to deciding where to play, which Palmer claims was between Mizzou and conference rival Oklahoma, Palmer stated, "I didn't care what I played, just as long as I was playing. I just wanted to play early as a freshman."

This being his senior year in school, the offensive lineman has not expressed what he wants to do with his future. However, if all goes well, Palmer has spoken about taking football up for a career.

"I'd love to play at the next level, but my back up plan is to obviously start working somewhere," Palmer said. "I don't know yet. I'm just going to go with the flow and see how this season turns out for me. If it goes well, hopefully I'll be playing at the next level."

Tony is the proud son of Richard and Adrianne Gaines. His father is an aircraft supervisor, while his mother is an aircraft mechanic. Tony's father is also a church pastor where the younger Tony shows off talents by singing and playing the piano.
    From TheFootballGenius.com:
    03/05/2006

Gil Brandt is reporting that Palmer is indeed 6’2” and hence TFG declares the issue with Palmer’s height settled. Missouri OG Tony Palmer is the best run blocker available in the 2006 NFL Draft at any position. While Georgia’s Max Jean-Gilles was impressive when the Dawgs played South Carolina during the regular season, Palmer’s performance against that same Gamecock defense in the Independence Bowl solidified TFG’s take here. Tony Palmer simply plays with outstanding power, and his low center of gravity is part of the reason why. Palmer is also very quick and mobile in short areas (despite what Brandt is reporting about his 40 time). Palmer can pull and trap as well as any OG prospect TFG has ever observed. While TFG does not have a lot of Missouri tape from 2005, TFG has focused on Palmer before, especially during the 2004 season. Against Nebraska in 2005, TFG hoped to see Palmer match up against the Huskers’ fine DT duo of Smith and Adams, both ranked prospects by the guru consensus. What is on the Nebraska tape is quite revealing. Nebraska mostly chose to not line-up anyone on Palmer, preferring to attack the less experienced portion of the Mizzou OL. Hence, watching the Nebraska game provided little insight into Tony Palmer other than the fact that the Nebraska defensive strategy was to not engage Palmer. Why serve up a defender who is just going to get blown back? Not only is Tony Palmer highly experienced and decorated against top competition, but he is also apparently a kid of high character. Indeed, Palmer plays the piano for his church, indicating a level of athleticism rarely demonstrated by the giants of the game of football. Given how strong his hands appear on the football field, TFG is amazed that Palmer’s fingers actually fit on individual piano keys. Well, if he needs a nickname, “The Piano” certainly fits, because Tony Palmer looks like and plays football like a piano, and when Palmer pancakes defenders, the sound of slamming both hands on the keyboard is probably close to the sound in the defender’s helmet.

TFG believes Tony Palmer is the complete OG package and grades out as a value late in the Second Round. Palmer is a devastating run blocker and an accomplished pass blocker. Durable and experienced against top competition, First Team All Big 12 OG Tony Palmer is getting a very raw deal from the guru consensus so far. Chalk this one up to the obsession with height, as if height is really that advantageous for interior linemen in the first place. Tony Palmer has everything TFG looks for in a Draft prospect, and will likely be one of the best values when and if he gets Drafted…

01/03/06

Missouri OLG Tony Palmer had a dominating performance against South Carolina in the Independence Bowl. Palmer displayed awesome power, moving his defender back three yards or more consistently. On several short yardage plays, Missouri QB Brad Smith simply followed Palmer for the first down/TD. Palmer pancaked several Gamecocks on pulls and traps. While he was called for two penalties, the holding call was baloney, and the replay did not show the facemask call. In pass protection, Palmer was outstanding, consistently anchoring against DTs and successfully picking up blitzers. Tony Palmer graded out at a Second Round level in his final game.

Tony Palmer is an outstanding athlete for his size. He can run, pull, trap, and cut well, and plays with outstanding power. TFG is amazed that most Draft boards have Palmer going undrafted, and so far Palmer is not invited to the Combine or any All Star game. Palmer reportedly was heavy in the Spring and got demoted. TFG has watched Palmer for three years, and has been impressed each time. There is an issue with Palmer’s height, listed as 6’2” and recently reported by ESPN’s Scouts Inc. as 6015. If the Scouts Inc height figure is accurate, then Palmer’s height is really not a big issue. There is such a thing as being too short to play NFL OG, but a powerhouse athlete at 6015 doesn’t get there. Palmer is a four year Big 12 starter, never missing a game, and recently being named First Team All Big 12 after making the Second Team in 2004.

Just looking at the “consensus” right now, which is subject to rapid and dramatic change, the 2006 NFL Draft is offering one heck of a good deal on a brand new offensive line interior. Minnesota OG Mark Setterstrom is expected to go in Rounds 3-4, while Michigan State C Chris Morris and Missouri OG Tony Palmer are expected to go Second Day/undrafted. Each one of those three has spent the past three plus years starting every game against top competition and excelling. TFG believes that a starting interior of Setterstrom, Morris, and Palmer could quickly develop into one of the NFL’s better interiors.
    From ShowMeNews.com:
    Tiger turns from bully to buddy
    Cuddly Palmer wasn’t always this huggable.

By RUS BAER of the Tribune’s staff
    Published Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Missouri defensive tackle Lorenzo Williams knows it sounds crazy, but he swears that affable teammate Tony Palmer - the biggest Tiger with the biggest smile - was once the junior high school menace of Midwest City, Okla.

Missouri guard Tony Palmer (52) has the well-earned reputation as one of the most lovable — and huggable — men on campus. But it wasn’t always so. Palmer was a junior high bully before trans-forming into a nice guy in high school.

"In junior high, he was kind of a bully," said Williams, who is two years younger than Palmer. "He was the biggest person in the school and all that. … He was beating people up."

Obviously, Williams has the wrong guy.

While it’s not difficult to picture Missouri’s 6-foot-2, 325-pound senior offensive guard as the biggest boy on campus, the thought of Palmer pummeling some pimply pencil neck just doesn’t sound right.

No way Williams was talking about the same gentle giant who always has a smile on his face and is featured in a local print advertisement for Children’s Hospital - playfully hovering on his hands and knees over a small child.

"Everybody loves Tony Palmer," Missouri Coach Gary Pinkel said. "He gets more hugs around this campus and this city than any man that I know."

But, Palmer admits, at one time he actually was the kind of guy associated with thugs more than hugs.

"When I was younger … I didn’t hang around the right people," Palmer said.

There were fights. There was trouble.

And then, as a ninth grader, there was his first meeting with Williams after a junior high football practice. Palmer promptly stuffed Williams in his locker.

"I won’t ever escape that," Palmer said, laughing. "He won’t ever let that one die."

Williams had not forgotten that meeting when he nervously arrived on the Midwest City High School campus as a sophomore. Although he was too big to be stuffed inside a locker this time, Williams was still wary of running into Palmer.

When the two crossed paths again, Williams braced for the worst. What he got was Palmer’s best.

"When I got to high school … he was trying to talk to me, and it was kind of weird," Williams said. "I thought it was a joke, but he ended up being a real cool dude.

"Something changed in those two years. He turned into the nicest dude in the world."

Palmer said his transformation was merely a matter of taking his father’s words to heart. Palmer’s father, an aircraft supervisor who is also a church pastor, preached over and over to his son that he needed to find a new group of friends.

When he was in the ninth grade - obviously at some point after stuffing Williams in that locker - Palmer found his new crowd. His new circle of friends included former Air Force running back Darnell Stephens, who completed his eligibility last year.

"I made sure I got myself around a good group of guys, and things definitely turned around for me," Palmer said.

With his attitude straightened out, Palmer went on to a strong high school career. After his senior season, he was named Oklahoma’s Blue Chip offensive lineman of the year.

Oklahoma State heavily recruited him, but, when Cowboys Coach Bob Simmons was fired in 2000, Palmer decided to come to Missouri.

After redshirting, Palmer has been a fixture on Missouri’s offensive line. Since cracking the starting lineup in the fourth game of the 2002 season, Palmer has started 34 of Missouri’s past 37 games entering Saturday’s visit to Oklahoma State (3-1, 0-1).

The preseason All-Big 12 selection said at least 30 friends and family will be on hand in Stillwater to watch him play his final collegiate game in his home state.

There are certain to be plenty of hugs before and after the game, but once he hits the field, Palmer will show his nasty side.

"You see him out here, and he’s got a smile on his face and hugging everybody," Williams said, "but when he steps on the field he’s a completely different player."
    From Sports Illustrated:
    BIO: Four-year starter who moved in with the first team midway through his freshman campaign. All-Conference selection the past three seasons.

POSITIVES: Competitive, hard-working blocker who plays with a good degree of explosion. Quick off the snap, stays square and walls defenders from the action. Patient, recognizes blocking assignments and works well with teammates. Slides laterally and displays range in space.

NEGATIVES: Marginally effective in motion. Rarely finishes blocks.

ANALYSIS: Palmer is a competitive lineman who's been durable on the college level. Possesses marginal upside yet could stick as an inexpensive backup.
    From ColumbiaMissourian.com:
    Gridiron girth
    Tony Palmer tries to drop weight for the NFL

By BRIAN SANDALOW

April 27, 2006

Tony Palmer has always been large. His mother, Adrianne Gaines, said she noticed that when Palmer was just days old.

“He had big hands and big feet,” Gaines said. “He reminded me of Fred Flintstone.”

NFL teams, however, look for more than big hands and big feet and probably aren’t interested in any resemblances to cartoon characters. They are looking for agile and strong athletes. They are looking for men who can combine brute strength with quickness. And unlike Fred Flintstone’s job as a brontosaurus crane operator at Slate Rock and Gravel Company, Palmer’s next job, probably as an offensive guard in the NFL, will require more skills than just pulling ropes connected to a dinosaur’s mouth.

Before Missouri’s pro day on April 4, many observers of the NFL Draft doubted Palmer was ready.

Before that Tuesday in early April, Palmer was thought to be 6 feet 1 inch and 355 pounds. Those numbers, especially the weight, seemed to be turning NFL scouts away from the former Tiger. Even though Palmer was a three-time All-Big 12 Conference selection and four-year starter at Missouri, his name was absent from draft previews published in February by The Sporting News and Street & Smith. On ESPN.com, Palmer’s prospect grade was 30 out of 100, making him the 43rd ranked guard prospect. In the 2005 draft, only 14 guards were selected.

But on April 4, Palmer weighed in at 327 pounds and his height was measured at 6 feet 2 inches. While he didn’t have any control over his height, Palmer said his goal was to weigh under 330 pounds. Scouts, Palmer said, “strongly encouraged” him to keep control of his weight.

“They told me that anything below 330 is good,” Palmer said. “My rap has been my weight.”

Losing the necessary weight has meant that Palmer has had to alter his eating habits. While he was at Missouri, Palmer said he often would skip breakfast and eat larger lunches and dinners instead. Now Palmer says that he eats breakfast daily.

“I eat hard-boiled eggs for breakfast. I make sure that I have breakfast every morning. That’s the key, that’s what starts the metabolism,” Palmer said. “Hard-boiled eggs, Special-K Raspberry and all that good stuff.”

For lunch and dinner, Palmer has started eating more salads and has grown especially fond of one.

“Grilled chicken caesar salad has been my main course,” Palmer said. “I don’t think I am a salad guy, but that’s what I have to do. I just have to watch my intake.”

As a reward, Palmer said teams have told him he will be drafted this weekend. Although no team has made any promises, he has been told that he will be picked anywhere between the third and the sixth round. Palmer said he heard that the Green Bay Packers and Miami Dolphins are two teams interested in drafting him.

“The scouts told me just to be patient. They said I’d definitely be drafted,” Palmer said. “I just have to keep working hard.”

Palmer’s best attribute may be his strength. On April 4, Palmer bench-pressed 225 pounds 41 times, a total that is only four away from the NFL combine record. That strength will also help Palmer’s transition to a more physical, NFL-style offense. For the past two seasons, Missouri has run a wide-open offense that emphasizes quickness instead of physicality.

“The old offense that we used to run, that’s what I was used to. Smashmouth football,” Palmer said of the offense that was tailored to the skills of former Missouri running back Zach Abron. “That was running the pigskin and holding blocks. This offense was just keeping the leverage.

“The NFL needs you to dominate the guy in front of you.”

One thing the NFL doesn’t need is rookies to try to be leaders. Before his senior season at Missouri, Palmer was voted a captain. In the upcoming season, however, he will be asked to defer to his older and more experienced teammates.

“Whatever team I go to, I’m not going to change who I am. I’ll still be an energetic kind of guy. That’s the attitude I’m going to bring. I haven’t had any problems getting along with guys,” Palmer said. “I think I’ll adapt. I’m just going up there to learn. Being a rookie, it’s all I can do.”

This weekend, Palmer will probably find out what team he will be playing for. While he said he grew up a Jets fan, he “isn’t picky” and will be happy to play any position for the team that drafts him.

“Whatever team I’m going to play for, I believe that I’ll definitely excel and become a starter in that program,” Palmer said.

This weekend, Palmer will watch the NFL draft with his family in Midwest City, Okla. If he is picked, that moment will be the culmination of a life-long dream. When Palmer was in grade school, Gaines said that she asked her son what he wanted to be when he grew up. Palmer’s answer: an NFL football player.

“It’s hard to describe what that’s going to be like when I see it,” Gaines said. “It’s right there for him. We’re just so happy for him.

“It will be a happy time for all of us in his family.”

However, there is also the possibility that no team will draft Palmer. In the days leading up to the draft, teams are known to give out misinformation to throw off other teams’ plans. And if it turns out that the Dolphins, Packers and the other 30 teams aren’t interested in Palmer, he is ready for life after football.

“If I’m working in the real world, I’ll give it everything I’ve got,” Palmer said.
    Posted by Ferragamo79 (unknown source):
    Tony Palmer:

Strengths: A four year starter and an All Big 12 performer, Palmer is a massive interior linemen with great strength. He is one of the draft's best run blockers. Using his low center of gravity and outstanding strength, Palmer mauls defenders at the point of attack and clears running lanes with ease. He frequently pancakes smaller defenders, and is capable of planting defensive linemen on the ground. He fires out of his stance quickly, and drives defenders off the ball. Quick and agile, Palmer is excellent at pulling and making definitive contact in short areas. Nimble for a man his size, Palmer cuts and traps with ease. Possesses the quickness to mirror and slide with interior pass rushers, and the lower body strength to anchor against the bull rush. He has signicigant power in his upper body as well, and has serious pop in his hands. Palmer appears to be an intelligent football player, quickly recognizing blitzes and stunts and making the proper adjustments ot protect his quarterback. Responsible for many of Brad Smith's more impressive runs in open space. A leader in the locker room and in the weight room. Palmer is a prospect of high character. Palmer has no durability issues, having never missed a game in three years.

Weaknesses: Palmer's weight has gotten out of control at times, to the point where the coaching staff benched him in spring. Lacks great open field speed. Sometimes has had fits with smaller, quicker defensive tackles, like Lynn McGruder and Tommie Harris of Oklahoma. Palmer needs a coach to watch his weight carefully, so that he doesn't lose his excellent quickness and become another Aaron Gibson.

Overall: Possessing everything a prospect should have, Tony Palmer is one of the truly underrated prospects in the draft. He grades out as a high second rounder, and one of the top three offensive guards available in April.

Holy crap!

Them arms are huge!

I love this pick!
    RamsFan16

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

There are definitely some positives here. I love OL that play with a mean streak, and Pancake blocks are a nice barometer. 41 reps, Damn!

I'll be rooting for this guy to come through. Not that I've seen either play, but from reading
    Palmer sounds better than Settlerstrom from Minnesota.

Well, competition is always good. Drafting 2 OG's may give Terrell some motivation to train harder
    and stay in the lineup.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -04-30-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Mercclass is offline Registered User

I don't think I've ever been more excited for a seventh round lineman before. This kid could actually start someday in the NFL and be very productive.