View Poll Results: With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams pick.....

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

9 7.89%
  • Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

53 46.49%
  • Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

4 3.51%
  • Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

16 14.04%
  • Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech

0 0%
  • Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

11 9.65%
  • Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

13 11.40%
  • Other

8 7.02%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams pick.....

Recently, more and more evidence makes me think that Andre Smith will be a NFL guard instead of tackle. In that case, I would much rather pick Oher,or just trade down to get an MLB in the first round, and then get an OT in the second round.

evil is offline Registered User

Re: With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams pick.....

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I don't know enough about college ball to guess at individual picks nor do I think we have enough info about the Rams' plan regarding the current roster, FA,etc, to even decide what positions they may target in the draft.

However, I have a couple of draft dream trades.

Detroit and Philly are the only two teams with two 1st round picks. If Philly needs something like Crabtree to play opposite DeSean, they might be tempted to swap our #2 for their two picks in the bottom half of the first round.Win or lose from this point, The Eagles are more likely to want that one key player to complete their team than spend first round money on a TE. Maybe they will want/need to replace McNabb but there is no great QB option in this draft & certainly none at their lower half spots.But it seems like there will be good options for us in most areas of need at that point & will come at a lower price.

Detroit needs everything but, again, I'm not convinced that any QB available will justify #1 money. Orlovsky isn't the longterm answer but he didn't play as badly as that infamous endzone gaffe would indicate. Detroit may be tempted to get one of the premier OTs AND Crabtree by trading their #20 and top o' the 2nd pick to us for our #2 and wait for next year to get their franchise signal caller. Makes them more likely to throw in Shaun McDonald as part of the trade when you think of the potent duo of Calvin Johnson and Crabtree and a longterm anchor at OT.

Either dream deal gives us three picks out of the first 35 & lessens the risk of over-paying for any one player.Getting a quality WR in trade is just icing on the cake.

I know it's not likely to happen but it's less stressful to think about than putting all our eggs in one basket.
    Either of those scenarios would be terrible value for the Rams. Trading out of #2 is going to be a tough one, unless someone makes a move for Crabtree or highly covets one of the OT's moreso than the others it is unlikely the Rams can trade out. IMHO the only 2 teams I see that might make a deal to move up to number 2 would be Green Bay or Jacksonville (in GB's case it could be for Orakpo if not an OT if they feel the Chiefs are zeroed in on Orakpo and they are that high on him).

Personally I think the Rams should take Curry or Jenkins in the 1st and Beatty in the 2nd. Curry can play any of the LB positions and Jenkins is a big need as the Rams sorely lack a true #1 CB. Just my 2 cents.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123