Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

33 43.42%
  • Disagree

43 56.58%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams Select...MICHAEL CRABTREE

Vote in the poll if you would agree or disagree with this pick.

I would love to have Crabtree for multiple reasons:

1) A reciever like Crabtree only comes around every few years
    2) Crabtree WILL get drafted by Seattle if we don't take him
    3) We need a Fitzgerald like playmaker if we are going to compete with the Cards

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams Select...MICHAEL CRABT

I'd take Crabtree. This team isn't winning next year either so why not? We need more help than the Salvation Army at Christmas.

djdeeznutz Guest

Re: With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams Select...MICHAEL CRABT

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'd take Crabtree. This team isn't winning next year either so why not? We need more help than the Salvation Army at Christmas.

I'd love to see Crabtree in a Rams uniform too but we are re-building! remember back in 1998 how we re-built the franchise we took an OT (orlando pace). So if we are going to re-build it starts with an OT

then a WR in 1999 we took Holt

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I don't think the selection of Crabtree on the premise of 'we're not going to win, anyway' is warranted.

He's not going to get the ball if Bulger has no time to throw. Case in point: the successes of Calvin Johnson on an 0-16 Detroit team the season.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

WR, don't have a huge impact on winning unless there are people around them. Right now we don't have the people we can put around Crabtree to actually make him an impact player that will get us some wins. If our O-line was better I would totally go for him regardless pf how bad our defense is. We have the QB, we have the RB, we have some young complimenting WRs, we have a pretty decent left side, but, LG over we have absoloutly nothing. Thats not a gord formula for Bulger or anyone he is throwing to.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -01-24-2009 at 11:57 PM.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

With all the needs we have we should take the best available player that fits a need and I think one of our needs (if holts goes) is a WR.

I would rather have us pick a potential superstar WR then take a changce on a 50/50 OT. With the drafts boards I have seen there is no clear cut nr 1 OT this year this indicates to me that there are lots of unknowns with them. Furthermore we should be able to get O-line people later in draft.

If I look at a team like the Bucs who really improved their O-line game this year they did not their O players in high draft picks either.

But the best would probably be to trade down if possible so that we have more picks to fill our many needs and give us more for our money (its not like our cap situation is great and the cost of a nr 2 pick is just silly high).

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    I would rather have us pick a potential superstar WR then take a changce on a 50/50 OT. With the drafts boards I have seen there is no clear cut nr 1 OT this year this indicates to me that there are lots of unknowns with them. Furthermore we should be able to get O-line people later in draft.
    Tags like "potential superstar" get thrown around a whole lot in regard to skill position players and more often than not, they struggle to live up the the hype. Reggie Bush wasn't as great as expected. Darren McFadden didn't set the world on fire his first year. Charles Rogers was supposed to be human dynamite. Matt Leinart and Vince Young haven't lived up to their hype.

Arguably the best player to come out in the last two seasons is Adrian Peterson, who was a '50/50' candidate due to injury concerns.

My point is that you just can't sit behind a computer and say 'oh, he's 50/50 and he's a superstar.' Based on what actual information? If these players were "50/50" prospects, they wouldn't be considered as high as they supposedly are. This is what all the workouts and the hype and the Mel Kiper Jr's (Disclaimer: Sarcasm) of the world are for. Sorting out who's worth it and who is not.

Further, O Linemen will, as you say, be available later in the draft, but will they be as good as the guy you could have had at number two overall? You can bring out all the generic Marques Colston or Mark Anderson examples in the world, but for every Marques Colston you can find, there are dollars to donuts 100 Bennie Brazell's. And here's hoping that the Bengals weren't banking on Bennie Brazell becoming a stalwart of the franchise.

Games are won and lost in the trenches and with no time to throw, Bulger isn't going to do much better this season than last.

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post

If I look at a team like the Bucs who really improved their O-line game this year they did not their O players in high draft picks either.
    In 2006, however, they spent their first two picks on starting O-Linemen.
    In 2007, they spent their second round pick on another starting O-Lineman.
    In 2008, they spent their third round pick on another O-Lineman.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -01-25-2009 at 07:35 AM.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Tags like "potential superstar" get thrown around a whole lot in regard to skill position players and more often than not, they struggle to live up the the hype. Reggie Bush wasn't as great as expected. Darren McFadden didn't set the world on fire his first year. Charles Rogers was supposed to be human dynamite. Matt Leinart and Vince Young haven't lived up to their hype.

Arguably the best player to come out in the last two seasons is Adrian Peterson, who was a '50/50' candidate due to injury concerns.

My point is that you just can't sit behind a computer and say 'oh, he's 50/50 and he's a superstar.' Based on what actual information? If these players were "50/50" prospects, they wouldn't be considered as high as they supposedly are. This is what all the workouts and the hype and the Mel Kiper Jr's (Disclaimer: Sarcasm) of the world are for. Sorting out who's worth it and who is not.

Further, O Linemen will, as you say, be available later in the draft, but will they be as good as the guy you could have had at number two overall? You can bring out all the generic Marques Colston or Mark Anderson examples in the world, but for every Marques Colston you can find, there are dollars to donuts 100 Bennie Brazell's. And here's hoping that the Bengals weren't banking on Bennie Brazell becoming a stalwart of the franchise.

Games are won and lost in the trenches and with no time to throw, Bulger isn't going to do much better this season than last.

In 2006, however, they spent their first two picks on starting O-Linemen.
    In 2007, they spent their second round pick on another starting O-Lineman.
    In 2008, they spent their third round pick on another O-Lineman.
    Point taken. Offcourse there is a risk with Crabtree being a bust also. But I stilll think he might be a smaller risc than many of the OT's in the draft. Only Smith seems to be the clear cut choice on all draft boards I have seen. The question is if any of the other OT's are good enough to warrent the high price tag of a nr 2 pick? So what I try to say is that if Crabtree is has a 70% chance of being star and the OTs have a 60% chance I think we should take Crabtree.

And yes I am just making by asumptions mostly based on what I read on the net. Probably like most other people having an opnion about the draft.

In regards of the bucs that just makes my point that they where able to find good oline players in the 2 and 3 rounds also. 4 of 5 picks not made in the first round and still they have been able to build a good oline.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

If the BPA fits....wear it.

Crabtree is a perfect fit for Shurmur's new West Coast offense.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

I don't want Crabtree on the Rams, I think he will be a bust in the NFL. He is NOT Calvin Johnson. Calvin Johnson was a freak athlete (6 foot 5, 240 pounds, 42 inch vertical, 4.35 40 yard dash, good character, AND production in college) . I think it is too much of a risk to draft a wide receiver in the top 10 that isn't a surefire star like Calvin was, I doubt Crabtree will run better than a 4.6 40 yard dash, and I still believe he is a product of TT's system.

For every Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson (who ran a sub 4.3 40 yard dash) there are plenty of Mike Williams, Troy Williamson, Reggie Williams, and Charles Rogers.

While you are saying Michael Crabtree has the best chance of being a superstar, I disagree. I would rather take a LT (Smith, Oher, Monroe) or even Aaron Curry if we sign a middle linebacker or take one later in the draft.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

There is no Quality OT like Orlando Pace in this Draft . All the Pro Scouts can't even decide who the best OT is. Good but not great OT's , the best player coming out is WR Crabtree .

I think the Rams should fill the middle of the Defence DT - MLB - SS hopefully at least slow down oposing RB's.
    The Rams have to take the best players regardless of position in beginning of Draft later rounds by need.

Weddle is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    There is no Quality OT like Orlando Pace in this Draft . All the Pro Scouts can't even decide who the best OT is. Good but not great OT's , the best player coming out is WR Crabtree .

I think the Rams should fill the middle of the Defence DT - MLB - SS hopefully at least slow down oposing RB's.
    The Rams have to take the best players regardless of position in beginning of Draft later rounds by need.
    I think that's a great point. As much as I think OT is where we should be drafting, if our talent evaluators don't think any of them are 'elite' then we shouldn't be taking them at 1.2.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Vote in the poll if you would agree or disagree with this pick.

I would love to have Crabtree for multiple reasons:

1) A reciever like Crabtree only comes around every few years
    2) Crabtree WILL get drafted by Seattle if we don't take him
    3) We need a Fitzgerald like playmaker if we are going to compete with the Cards
    I said this in december and I was called insane....well atleast a few other individuals are certifiable now as well. Pick him, because we can't allow him to go to Seattle & we need a replacement for T. Holt as well. Not to mention we still haven't see what our rookie linemen can do, you don't want to waste last years pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    . Not to mention we still haven't see what our rookie linemen can do, you don't want to waste last years pick.
    They're interior Linemen. It appears we're full to the brim at guard but have little to speak of in the way of future starters at OT or at C.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I don't think the selection of Crabtree on the premise of 'we're not going to win, anyway' is warranted.

He's not going to get the ball if Bulger has no time to throw. Case in point: the successes of Calvin Johnson on an 0-16 Detroit team the season.
    I don't think I am necessarily saying that we aren't going to win next year, I'm just saying that the team needs lots of help and Crabtree is talented. I'm becoming more inclined to the idea of Jeremy Maclin than Crabtree though.

I've said this before but don't mind repeating myself, don't necessarily draft for need only in Round 1. Tony Mandarich is one selection that comes to mind. The Rams can still get great quality in O lineman in Round 2 or later.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast