BigGameMN is offline Registered User

And with the 2nd pick in the draft, the Detroit Lions select.....

Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech. In other news, Ford Field has apparently been burned to the ground...

In all seriousness, the Lions beat the 'boys but lose Brady Quinn(assuming they would have drafted him). This franchise just can't catch a break.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: And with the 2nd pick in the draft, the Detroit Lions select.....

My best guess right now would be Quinn to Oakland then Joe Thomas to Detroit. Matt Millen would have to hire security if the Lions draft another receiver, even though Johnson is about as can't-miss as you can get. They need O-line help if they want to remotely succeed in Martz's system, and Thomas would replace Backus at LT, with Backus either moving to LG or RT.

That being said, Johnson is a realistic possibility to any team at the top of this order. It wouldn't surprise me to see any of them take him, including Oakland or Detroit. He's an absolute stud.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

And Thomas is Fiiiiine by me. Now, I know, I know, usually, the approval of a 15 year old doesn't mean that much to you Clan veterans.... but-

Who else needs O-Line help?
    Why the Arizona Cardinals at pick number 5.

Thomas could be a target for Tampa Bay @ 4th, as I think he'd be an instant upgrade over current starting left tackle Anthony Davis.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

They need offensive line but will probrably go the CJ route.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thomas could be a target for Tampa Bay @ 4th, as I think he'd be an instant upgrade over current starting left tackle Anthony Davis.
    Depends what happens with Simeon Rice, in which case, Gaines Adams could rise high on the TB submarine radar.

Gaines is also potentially a target for the Cards, so if the Bucs win the 3rd spot by coin toss, we could have a dream scenario for displacing the Cards of their top 2 targets.

#1.Oakland- Brady Quinn
    #2.Detroit- Joe Thomas
    #3.Tampa- Gaines Adams
    #4. Cleveland- Peterson or Calvin Johnson.

Now here's the thing. I'm presuming the Browns will take Johnson, purely based on BPA, and how much I loathe the Cardinals. That leaves the Cards with the number 5 pick, and the only guy remaining in my imaginary top 5 is AP. They have Edge, and i'll bet dollars to donuts they won't get too many trade offers.

If the Browns pick Peterson and CJ falls, look for Minnesota and the ***** to make huuuge trade offers, primo situation for the Cards, who still would be reaching at pick 8 for an OT, or a DE. they would have extra picks, but would lack that "Top 5 Guy" they would love so much.

fftopic: Can you imagine a ***** offense that features Frank Gore, Alex Smith, Vernon Davis and Calvin Johnson????

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Depends what happens with Simeon Rice, in which case, Gaines Adams could rise high on the TB submarine radar.
    Adams should already be high on the Bucs radar, honestly. Regardless of whether or not they decide to keep Rice (if Freeney hits the market he'd be a target for them too), they still would need to upgrade the pass rush personnel on that team.

#1.Oakland- Brady Quinn
    #2.Detroit- Joe Thomas
    #3.Tampa- Gaines Adams
    #4. Cleveland- Peterson or Calvin Johnson.
    Don't be surprised if Tampa gives CJ a hard look if he's there.

Now here's the thing. I'm presuming the Browns will take Johnson, purely based on BPA, and how much I loathe the Cardinals. That leaves the Cards with the number 5 pick, and the only guy remaining in my imaginary top 5 is AP. They have Edge, and i'll bet dollars to donuts they won't get too many trade offers.

If the Browns pick Peterson and CJ falls, look for Minnesota and the ***** to make huuuge trade offers, primo situation for the Cards, who still would be reaching at pick 8 for an OT, or a DE. they would have extra picks, but would lack that "Top 5 Guy" they would love so much.
    Minnesota may pull the trigger but I'm not sure if San Fran can afford to with as many needs as they have on D. But if for reason the Cards drop to 8, I'd expect them to take a safety in Landry or Nelson to play next to Adrian Wilson in that secondary. Robert Griffith is not an ideal FS for them and that's a huge need they could fill.

Don't be surprised if Tampa gives CJ a hard look if he's there.
    I was thinking the same thing as well. CJ would be a nice addition to the Bucs offense to go along with Joey Galloway who is getting up there in years. And with Cadillac in the backfield, that could make for a potent offensive threat.

Back on the Lions, Mel Kiper said today that if Jamarcus Russell comes out this year that the Lions may look at him. That seemed a little far fetched to me to be honest with you. I've watched a lot of LSU football living down here in SEC country, and I've always considered Russel to be a very good QB, just not a great QB. He has weapons on the outside but LSU's offense didn't look all that great at times this year. Auburn held them to 3 points, and while Auburn has a good defense, it's not great like in years past.

If Mel is right and Russell's stock is that high then the Browns may also make a run at him.

Minnesota may pull the trigger but I'm not sure if San Fran can afford to with as many needs as they have on D. But if for reason the Cards drop to 8, I'd expect them to take a safety in Landry or Nelson to play next to Adrian Wilson in that secondary. Robert Griffith is not an ideal FS for them and that's a huge need they could fill.

You're right about the bucs. And I totally blanked on the fact that Michael Clayton hasn't done anything since his amazing rookie season.

Do you think that Nelson is top 10 material? I have Landry substantially higher above him. I can agree with Landry to the Cards, but I was thinking Nelson would land himself in the 14-20 range. Panthers, maybe? That is just me though. Although, he may have enough upside for Atlanta to select him at 10 overall. A good combine can do anything for your stock.

You're right about the bucs. And I totally blanked on the fact that Michael Clayton hasn't done anything since his amazing rookie season.

Do you think that Nelson is top 10 material? I have Landry substantially higher above him. I can agree with Landry to the Cards, but I was thinking Nelson would land himself in the 14-20 range. Panthers, maybe? That is just me though. Although, he may have enough upside for Atlanta to select him at 10 overall. A good combine can do anything for your stock.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson surpasses Landry when everything is said and done. I don't have the margin between them as being that much, really. It would seem to me Landry is more well rounded, whereas Nelson has the coverage abilities to play both cornerback and safety which teams always fall in love with. He's a huge playmaker in the secondary and is just all over the place. He should excel in workouts and improve his stock even more.

DieHard23 is offline Registered User

of course this is all in assumption that oakland takes Brady Quinn. they could pull a Houston and whiff on the first overall. that would shake up anyone's draft prediction. the saints weren't prepared to have reggie bush available for them, so you never know what could happen

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard23 View Post
    of course this is all in assumption that oakland takes Brady Quinn. they could pull a Houston and whiff on the first overall. that would shake up anyone's draft prediction. the saints weren't prepared to have reggie bush available for them, so you never know what could happen
    Quinn could also pull an Eli Manning and refuse to play for the Raiders. Can't say I would blame him, playing behind their o-line isn't a comforting thought.