View Poll Results: Which UFA would you call first on 3/5?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Karlos Dansby, LB, Arizona

16 21.05%
  • Chris Redman, QB, Atlanta

2 2.63%
  • Keith Bulluck, LB, Tennessee

0 0%
  • Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina

12 15.79%
  • Vince Wilfork, DT, New England

1 1.32%
  • Scott Fujita, LB, New Orleans

1 1.32%
  • Aaron Kampman, DE, Green Bay

29 38.16%
  • Kyle Vanden Bosch, DE, Tennessee

8 10.53%
  • Antonio Pierce, LB, N.Y. Giants

2 2.63%
  • Someone else (who?)

3 3.95%
  • I wouldn't go after any UFA.

2 2.63%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    npow81 is offline Registered User

Re: On, 3/5/10, who is the first UFA Bill Devaney should call?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We already have the SLB position filled? By Dave Vobora?

Dansby would be pricey, no doubt, but I think he'd be a major upgrade over Vobora.

As for quality FAs 25 and under... they are pretty much all RFAs as a result of the CBA situation.
    I thought he was an MLB, I stand corrected, but he would be especially pricey as would any premium free agent considering the current state of the franchise.

I do like Dansby, if he can be lured for market price it would be a nice addition, however, paying the extra amount to lure someone into a bad team in my mind is bad practice.

This is where Spags and the FO must sell the organization, Spags is generally well regarded as a player's coach, can he overcome this burden, i don't know.

EDIT: It turns out Dansby is listed as a inside linebacker on the NFL site, so yeah. I'm guessing he can play SLB or is regarded as such in a 4-3?...either way same applies
    Last edited by npow81; -02-20-2010 at 12:06 AM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Where is the all of the above option?
    This year is uncapped right?

The Rams lured Jason Brown here last year, something that I didn't believe was going to happen, so I think we have a legitimate shot at at least one of those guys.

I went Dansby, just because imho outside linebacker is one of our biggest needs, and the dude can make plays.

Also I would love a d line with Kampman or Vanden Bosch or Peppers , Suh, Ryan, and Long...

TheRammer Guest

I went with Redman but I think Vanden Bosch, Dansby and Kampman would be a close second

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Dansby and/or Kampman, and I do summersaults...

Voted for Dansby, would love either

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We already have the SLB position filled? By Dave Vobora?

Dansby would be pricey, no doubt, but I think he'd be a major upgrade over Vobora.

As for quality FAs 25 and under... they are pretty much all RFAs as a result of the CBA situation.
    Vobora is a solid starter and is completely underrated because he was mr irrelevant. Granted, he is not a star, but he is definitely worth keeping. Dansby is on his way down and he is expensive. Vobora is on his way up and is pretty cheap.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Vobora is a solid starter and is completely underrated because he was mr irrelevant. Granted, he is not a star, but he is definitely worth keeping. Dansby is on his way down and he is expensive. Vobora is on his way up and is pretty cheap.
    Even if we are to believe that Dansby is on his way down (which i dont think he is), a Dansby in decline is still a far better player than a Vobora on the rise.

The problem with this team at the moment is the fact that we have a lot of solid players and not enough star talent. We need upgrades at most positions, including SLB, to become a competitive team

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

whoa wait... nobody said anything about NOT keeping Vobora. he's locked up contractually. and i think many would agree with me that'd he'd likely make a solid (& cheap) 2nd stringer and spec'l team plyr.

the question is do you get the top FA linebacker on the phone to take his place in the starting lineup? or alternatively, NOT call him cuz the team is so well stacked at the slb spot.

i was rooting for larry grant to come in and thrive, but it looks like he's stuck in jon alston mode. so i think the Rams have to seriously look at the FA linebacker options, and that starts with Dansby.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

A linebacker with 60 tackles on the year is not the answer on a defense dying to stop the run. I agree with the over-whelming sentiment that Vobora is great role player and is an asset on the team, but he's an asset as a promising back up or (a word we're all familiar with) 'stop-gap' should another starter go down. We need players that can play sideline to sideline, I don't know if Vobora is a guy that can do that 4 quarters. We need to find help in the draft.

As to UFA's, Kampman would be my first call. Peppers and Dansby will command a lot of attention from other teams, Kampman could be had as a steal while everyone is looking the other direction.

Out of all the areas we need to upgrade at, Vobora is pretty low on the list of ppl to replace. I think Vobora is a smart versitile player. He may not be the best in any one area, but he's pretty solid in many areas. He's the kinda guy you want playing next to Laurinaitis.

Paris Lennon is the week link. Not Vobora.

Out of all the areas we need to upgrade at, Vobora is pretty low on the list of ppl to replace. I think Vobora is a smart versitile player. He may not be the best in any one area, but he's pretty solid in many areas. He's the kinda guy you want playing next to Laurinaitis.

Paris Lennon is the week link. Not Vobora.
    Both are weak links. Lenon maybe more of a weak link than Vobora, but Vobora hasnt shown anything to suggest he should be starting in the NFL. If i had to pick just one linebacker to replace it would be Lenon, however i dont think its out of the question that the Rams open the new season with two new OLBs

Ramzee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Both are weak links. Lenon maybe more of a weak link than Vobora, but Vobora hasnt shown anything to suggest he should be starting in the NFL. If i had to pick just one linebacker to replace it would be Lenon, however i dont think its out of the question that the Rams open the new season with two new OLBs
    I think that's accurate. I just don't know where the Rams are going to get two LB's from. It's entirely possible but with all the holes on this team, I can't see them drafting two in the first 5 rounds. In FA, pickings are very slim. Outside of a trade, which may involve one of those first five picks, there really isn't anybody out there to get. Unless you like Pierce and from all reports, he's possibly done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramzee View Post
    I think that's accurate. I just don't know where the Rams are going to get two LB's from. It's entirely possible but with all the holes on this team, I can't see them drafting two in the first 5 rounds. In FA, pickings are very slim. Outside of a trade, which may involve one of those first five picks, there really isn't anybody out there to get. Unless you like Pierce and from all reports, he's possibly done.
    I think we will pick up one OLB in the draft. As for free agents, there arent many available. If the CBA doesnt get done, the best FAs are Karlos Dansby, Keith Bulluck, Scott Fujita, Antonio Pierce, Cato June and Pisa Tinoisamoa. I would love to get Dansby, but i think Fujita or Bulluck could come in and be upgrades at OLB for us. I know they are older guys but thats all that would be available.

If the CBA does get done, however, there would be a load of young, talented OLBs on the market.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Dansby, Vanden Bosch, or Kampmann. Tired of the pricey tag we put on players. Tired of losing. If spending money means winning, spend it. I'd rather spend it on a proven FA than to risk it on an unproven rookie...(Carriker for example. Big waste of money so far).

I'm almost in the George Allen camp. Let other teams pay and play rookies. We play veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

Im all for bringin in competition. Bring in some unknown FA's to compete for Vobora's spot. Draft a late round SLB. Let the best man win. But in my opinion its the weakside that has priority over the strong side. We cannot go into another season with Lennon. While Vobora is a hard worker and will do just fine for another season.

(I'm arguing priorities.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12