View Poll Results: Who is the best safety likely to fall to the #33 spot?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Earl Thomas

    6 17.14%
  • Eric Berry

    2 5.71%
  • Taylor Mays

    19 54.29%
  • None

    8 22.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    The Optimistic Lamb's Avatar
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    5

    3 Safeties to Chose From...

    Negotiations with Mr. Atogwe are not going as planned. He is one of the highest paid safeties in this league, and continues to demand more money. It would be sad to see him go, but with 3 first round safeties, I think the odds are one should fall to the #33 overall pick. Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, or Taylor Mays...
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -03-25-2010 at 11:23 AM.


  2. #2
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,643
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    There is no chance that Eric Berry falls all the way to #33, despite how much i would love for it to happen

  3. #3
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    I think Mays is the only one with any kind of chance of being there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  4. #4
    timsum1283's Avatar
    timsum1283 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    23
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    What Nick said. Berry could go as high as #3. there's no way he drops to the 2nd round

  5. #5
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,531
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think Mays is the only one with any kind of chance of being there.
    I'd ditto that. I'm betting Berry doesn't make it out of the top 10, and Thomas may not make it out of the teens.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  6. #6
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    How can you say negotiations aren't going as planned?

  7. #7
    thickandthin's Avatar
    thickandthin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    460
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Negotiations with Mr. Atogwe are not going as planned. He is one of the highest paid safeties in this league, and continues to demand more money. It would be sad to see him go, but with 3 first round safeties, I think the odds are one should fall to the #33 overall pick. Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, or Taylor Mays...
    I'd very much like to see your source for this...

  8. #8
    The Optimistic Lamb's Avatar
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    The fact that he hasnt been signed yet and we've had issues signing him in the past made me begin googling the topic. This is what I found at the Windy City Gridiron:

    "The general reports are that Atogwe wasn't very happy with the franchise tag last year, and he's even less happy with the Rams tendering him when he would have likely been a FA any other year. His unhappiness with the situation isn't exactly that important, it is however important to look at the negotiation landscape when it comes to his deal. They've essentially had two years to work out a deal and have been unable to come to terms, so there has to be a fundamental disagreement on what Atogwe is worth between Atogwe/Agent and the team. Since there is information from his agent that he thinks he's basically one of the best at his position the most likely breakdown of the situation is that Atogwe thinks he should be getting top 2-3 money, and the Rams don't want to pay it. There are definitely other reasons why the negotiations could be failing, but this seems to be the most likely. Since Atogwe's agent would likely be asking for the same thing from the Bears or any other organization that comes calling that he's asking for from the Rams, it goes a long way towards saying either the Rams just want "proof" he's worth that, or they are trying to "prove" to Atogwe he isn't worth that."
    Last edited by Nick; -03-25-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: No links!

  9. #9
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    Right now Atogwe is able to negotiate with any team in the league as if he is an unrestricted free agent. When he reaches a contract agreement with any other team the Rams have the right to accept that contract and pay it themselves OR let him walk. If he doesn't receive a contract offer, they can get him for an ultra low figure (not gonna happen). What about that makes you think the Rams are motivated to quickly sign him to whatever makes OJ happy?

  10. #10
    Bralidore(RAMMODE)'s Avatar
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    Atogwe isn't that best at his position and he's currently rehabbing a shoulder injury. How can he expect the Rams to pay him like a top 3 safety is beyind me. He's great and I love the guy, but he has to be realistic. i was behind this decision to tender him this way since the start and its making more and more sense as we proceed.

    Rams are continuing to make solid decisions this offseason and the people who were whining in the beginning or slowly quieting down (except the diehard nihilist who won't be named...)

  11. #11
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    The fact that he hasnt been signed yet and we've had issues signing him in the past made me begin googling the topic. This is what I found at the Windy City Gridiron:

    "The general reports are that Atogwe wasn't very happy with the franchise tag last year, and he's even less happy with the Rams tendering him when he would have likely been a FA any other year. His unhappiness with the situation isn't exactly that important, it is however important to look at the negotiation landscape when it comes to his deal. They've essentially had two years to work out a deal and have been unable to come to terms, so there has to be a fundamental disagreement on what Atogwe is worth between Atogwe/Agent and the team. Since there is information from his agent that he thinks he's basically one of the best at his position the most likely breakdown of the situation is that Atogwe thinks he should be getting top 2-3 money, and the Rams don't want to pay it. There are definitely other reasons why the negotiations could be failing, but this seems to be the most likely. Since Atogwe's agent would likely be asking for the same thing from the Bears or any other organization that comes calling that he's asking for from the Rams, it goes a long way towards saying either the Rams just want "proof" he's worth that, or they are trying to "prove" to Atogwe he isn't worth that."

    Two things...

    1) Links aren't allowed. You can copy and paste the information as well as say where it's from, but can't link to it.

    2) That appears to simply be another fan's blog on a web site that's similar to the Bleacher Report. They talk about "general reports" and "information" but provide no sources or reports that indicate what they're talking about, either.


    If the Rams' plan was that they'd give Atogwe the lowest tender and he'd happily walk through the doors at Rams Park and sign it immediately, then you're probably right in that negotiations aren't going as planned. But it's entirely possible they assumed he'd hold out due to their offer and, for all we know, they may be holding off on any negotiations until he can pass a physical. There's simply no way of knowing, and another fan's blog doesn't exactly provide much support.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  12. #12
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    I personally do think he deserves the money. He IMHO is one of the best free safties in the league.

    He also would like to stick around. In 2008 he had his "breakout" season, forcing a tremendous amount of turnovers.

    Face it, this guy is an animal. I'd pay the man what he wanted.

  13. #13
    The Optimistic Lamb's Avatar
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

    If the Rams' plan was that they'd give Atogwe the lowest tender and he'd happily walk through the doors at Rams Park and sign it immediately, then you're probably right in that negotiations aren't going as planned. But it's entirely possible they assumed he'd hold out due to their offer and, for all we know, they may be holding off on any negotiations until he can pass a physical. There's simply no way of knowing, and another fan's blog doesn't exactly provide much support.
    Apologies I wasn't aware of the links rule.

    I have no way of knowing whether it was a blog or not. But it was pretty detailed with specifics, stats, and numbers. I don't think it should be discounted.

    I can't say for sure if Atogwe negotiations are good or bad, but they are being drawn out. I just made this thread for some "what if" fun. If Atogwe was picked up by another team, which is a possibility, there are 3 great safeties who could fall to the 2nd. Thats the topic.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -03-26-2010 at 12:18 AM.

  14. #14
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    I have no way of knowing whether it was a blog or not.
    The author of the article being identified as Sklz711 might have been a clue...
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  15. #15
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: 3 Safeties to Chose From...

    I think only Taylor Mays makes it past the first round. He will be a horrible safety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Safeties work on getting familiar
    By RamFan_Til_I_Die in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -06-07-2009, 01:45 AM
  2. Safeties availible that we should look at?
    By RamsFan16 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -09-14-2005, 12:47 AM
  3. Camp Battles: Safeties
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -07-20-2005, 12:51 PM
  4. Interesting Read....(I did not know some of this...)
    By AugustaRamFan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: -03-28-2005, 04:58 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: -03-13-2005, 05:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •