1. Vernon Gholston, DE, OSU

2. James Hardy, WR, Indiana

3. Duane Brown, OT, Virginia Tech.

4. Antwaun Molden, CB, Eastern Kentucky

5. Kevin O’Connell, QB, San Diego State

6. Chris Horton, SS, UCLA

6. Fernando Velasco, C, Georgia

7. Maurice Murray, DT, New Mexico State
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -03-18-2008 at 09:30 PM.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: 39thebeast mock draft part tres

I love the first four...Im not sold on O'Connell, nor would I take him in the fifth, MAYBE with one of the sixths, although I doubt he'll be there, and the two 6's and the 7 is solid. I love it.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I would be really happy with that draft. However, I agree with chipperjones I'm not crazy about O’Connell, with our 5th pick.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I don't like the QB, because I feel we have greater needs elsewhere and we don't need to look at getting a replacement for Bulger quite yet. However, I understand why people want to draft one now, there are concerns.

I do love the first three, and if the Brown issues are true, I love the fourth, but if not I'd investigate OLB and DE prospects there. Maybe one of the lines too, as that's always a concern.

I hate the safety class, but I'm a huge Bruin fan, so I like Horton. Good late prospects too.

Nice work.

keith m. klink Guest

1 , I am not sold on GHOLSTON as the #2 pick yet , i'll give a firm answer in april.

2 , would love HARDY , but i think he's gone in the 20's range .

3 , BROWN seems a little raw for a 3rd, kind of a project guy . if you said 5th rd #129. that would be o.k. with me , i just feel we need someone able to start or sub at # 65 .

4 , i like MOLDEN alot , i think he is better than others might draft him as you do . but i think he can still be taken later in rounds 6-7 . # 161 - # 170 and #200 . but i like him. i think he would standout as a really good steal in the later rds .

5 , i like this kid as a project with TERRY SHEA as our QB coach , but would rather get him in the 6th round area . i think he could be had at # 161 or # 170 . i like him .

6 , LOVE HORTON ! he might scare some away with the very bad wrist thingy , but if he checks out by medical this guy could come in and start with O.J. if needed . fierce hitter and would be a ST demon . AWESOME PICK for # 161 .

6 , good pick for #170 , could become a good backup player , maybe move to guard with his size . again ! good pick .

7 , NO thank you , not for me . DEVANEY was just preaching CHARACTER and this guy is one and has none . kinda lazy , was suspended twice senior year, arrests , DWI , leaving the scene. if you slipped even another DT like MAURICE MURRAY or BARRY BOOKER maybe .

I think you have a good sense of plays and team needs , pretty good job .

39thebeast is offline Registered User

We don't need a replacement for Bulger, but how long do you think Trent Green will be around he is 38 and one concussion away from being out of the league. Bulger is 31 and quite injury prone. The purpose of O'Connell is for him to develop under the vets. I didn't see any other good options in Brenan, Dixon, and Matt Flynn. I wasn't aware of Shirley's character problems i'll change that up.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -03-18-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: addition

keith m. klink Guest

I'm one of the people that think that we do need a QB to develope , otherwise we might be looking at a urgent situation down the road . I just don't think that BERLIN is any kind of answer , he was brought in because LINEHAN new him . 6-1' 215 . i'm not sold that he has the talent on the pro level .

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm not saying that we shouldn't develop and groom a young QB, but at this point you have to assume that Green will play two years. Bulger has five years lest and will play probably four or more of those. So, we have a two year gap between Green's departure and Bulger's earliest departure. Until then, we keep low round prospects or cast offs from other teams to groom on the practice squad, as I'm a big fan of only carrying two QB's on the active roster.

What I propose, and have done so before, is to keep looking at Berlin and a few camp arms, maybe even a late pick this year(6th or 7th) and grooming them on the practice squad. In two years, we make a decision. Do we stick with what we have? If so, wonderful. What I would expect would be we take a higher round QB(late first, or second round) in the 2010 draft and then seriously groom him under Bulger as the heir apparent. He then has two years to learn the pro game until Bulger's last year, at which point we can trade or cut Bulger, let him finish up his last year, or resign him if he proves to be still a top QB.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't develop and groom a young QB, but at this point you have to assume that Green will play two years. Bulger has five years lest and will play probably four or more of those. So, we have a two year gap between Green's departure and Bulger's earliest departure. Until then, we keep low round prospects or cast offs from other teams to groom on the practice squad, as I'm a big fan of only carrying two QB's on the active roster.

What I propose, and have done so before, is to keep looking at Berlin and a few camp arms, maybe even a late pick this year(6th or 7th) and grooming them on the practice squad. In two years, we make a decision. Do we stick with what we have? If so, wonderful. What I would expect would be we take a higher round QB(late first, or second round) in the 2010 draft and then seriously groom him under Bulger as the heir apparent. He then has two years to learn the pro game until Bulger's last year, at which point we can trade or cut Bulger, let him finish up his last year, or resign him if he proves to be still a top QB.
    Look at this season. When we had 2 Qbs both got hurt and we were left with unprepared left overs. With a third developmental guy I think we would benefit greatly now and in the future

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Hmm. It's a good mock. Like everyone else I'm not sold on QB at round 5...but you make a valid point.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I'd like to see your reasons for those proposed selections.

I don't think Hardy really fits what is needed, we have a Bennett if he can just stay healthy. I'd like a route runner with speed.

I have a gut feeling that Brown may fall into the fourth having converted from TE and still learning his trade at the college level.

Love Molden, but might again be a bit early.
    Semper Fi!