Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

4 Players who probably won't be on any of my Rams mocks, but could make sense.

When I do a mock draft, I try to select players who I regard highly and who I think are likely to be targetted by the Rams.

This year, that type of approach leads me to have players like Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert Darqueze Dennard and Hasean Clinton-Dix on my "short list" of players who I'm projecting as likely first round picks for the Rams.

That said, there are always "wild card" possibilities that, though unconventional, are tempting to project. Here are four guys who, though not likely to be the players I predict in my mocks, intrigue me as possible targets for the Rams in the first round.

NOTE: None of these players are Pick #2 targets. Rather, these players are the type who I could see being considered by the Rams with the #13 pick, at the earliest, or in the event of a trade that gives us a pick in the #14-32 range:

Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
    The obvious argument against the Rams taking a guy like Mason is "why do we need a RB when we have Zac Stacy." The answer is twofold. First, I think the Rams' ability to consistently run the ball effectively is one of the keys to success, particularly in the NFC West. Second, while I have complete faith that Stacy can continue to be an effective workhorse back, I am concerned about his ability to stay healthy if has to run the ball 25 times per game. Of course, none of this translates to a need to address the RB position in Round 1 but, let's not forget, the Rams were willing to take Trent Richardson (glad they didn't) when they still had SJ. If Mason separates himself from the back and becomes the concensus top RB in the draft, I would expect the Rams to at least kick his tires.

Rashede Hagerman, DT, Minnesota
    I've read a few mocks that have suggested that the Rams need (in Round 2 or later) to address the DT position because Kendall Langford has been a major disappointment. I disagree with that, as I think Langford had a solid season. Nonetheless, I think the Rams need to (1) add to their DT rotation, and (2) provide themselves with an option should Langford's performance drop to a level at which he is deemed overpriced. Hagerman, who is getting very good reviews at the Senior Bowl, strikes me as a player who is similar to Michael Brockers. Having two Brockers-types on the inside with Long and Quinn on the outside sounds pretty good to me.

Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Taking a center won't make anyone's toes tingle, but it could be a smart move. A quality center can help solidify an OL for many years. Swanson is the top prospect at the position, and what I really like about him is that he is big (315) for the position. With the stout defenses in the division, and a desire to run the ball, he could, albeit quietly, make a big difference. Plus, by taking Swanson, you immediately free up the cap space occupied by Scott Wells' contract.

David Yankey, OG, Stanford

Stanford has been producing quality interior OL for years, and Yankey is the latest off the assembly line. A lot of what I said about Swanson applies to Yankey (with him allowing the Rams to get Harvey Dahl's contract off the books). Certainly, there is some precedent for the current Rams regime looking at the OG position early, as it was widely reported that the Rams were considering Larry Warford in the late-first/early-second round last year (Warford went on to have an all-rookie team season with Detroit).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-23-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: 4 Players who probably won't be on any of my Rams mocks, but could make sense.

Whats your take on Darqueze Dennard opting out of the Senior Bowl as a healthy scratch?
    Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage, a former NFL GM, said that to him, the bottom line with the healthy scratches "is that people miss the fact that [when] you make a commitment, you should follow through with it."

Re: 4 Players who probably won't be on any of my Rams mocks, but could make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Whats your take on Darqueze Dennard opting out of the Senior Bowl as a healthy scratch?
    Not really on point but, to answer your question, I always prefer when prospects maximize their opportunities show what they can do.

Now... back to the thread!

At RB you don't mention Cunningham or DRich. Do you have no faith in either to contribute next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    At RB you don't mention Cunningham or DRich. Do you have no faith in either to contribute next year?
    I have every confidence that they can contribute on a limited basis. My concern is whether they could become the primary back in the event that Stacy misses time.

Look, for example, at the Bucs last year. They started the season feeling pretty good about their RB situation with Doug Martin coming off a great rookie season. Martin then got hurt, tried to play, and was eventually shut down for the season. His backup, Bobby Rainey, did a credible job in his absence, but was nonetheless a significant step down from Martin.

I don't want the Rams to find themselves having to rely on guys like Cunningham and DRich for an extended period of time.

Now, as I stated, that does not mean that I expect the Rams to target a RB early in the draft, but if a guy like Mason was the BPA late in the first round and the Rams had (via a trade) a selection in the 20-30 range, I could see the logic in pulling the trigger.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I don't think you're suggesting we can get Hageman in the 2nd round, but that wording is confusing. I've also been seeing a lot of good things about him, wouldn't mind our staff taking a long look at him at 13, or especially if we end up trading out of the spot/acquiring the Browns second pick.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I have every confidence that they can contribute on a limited basis. My concern is whether they could become the primary back in the event that Stacy misses time.

I don't want the Rams to find themselves having to rely on guys like Cunningham and DRich for an extended period of time......
    Cunningham is a decent 2nd IMO. I think he has some similarities to Stacy, I think he can hit the holes and pound it a bit. He did do nicely filling in last season. I also think he was underrated coming out of college due to his patella injury.

That wouldn't keep me from grabbing another RB in the mid rounds, or even 5th :-), due to my lack of faith in Richardson. I don't think he runs or hits the hole that well, doesn't seem decisive, and does seem slight and has issues pass blocking. I remember seeing a ***** LB just plowing him into Bradford early in the season. Can't let that happen no matter what.
    Semper Fi!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Look, for example, at the Bucs last year. They started the season feeling pretty good about their RB situation with Doug Martin coming off a great rookie season. Martin then got hurt, tried to play, and was eventually shut down for the season. His backup, Bobby Rainey, did a credible job in his absence, but was nonetheless a significant step down from Martin.

I don't want the Rams to find themselves having to rely on guys like Cunningham and DRich for an extended period of time.

Now, as I stated, that does not mean that I expect the Rams to target a RB early in the draft, but if a guy like Mason was the BPA late in the first round and the Rams had (via a trade) a selection in the 20-30 range, I could see the logic in pulling the trigger.
    When Doug Martin got injured Mike James took over for him and did a very admirable job. Unfortunately for the Bucs he also got injured for the year and then Bobby Rainey was forced into the lineup.

THE DREAM TEAM

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I love Ra'shede Hageman for the Rams. He also reminds me of Michael Brockers and at 6'6 300+, our defensive line would be tough to go up against. Hageman is a stout run blocker and makes a fair share of plays in the pass game. He's very disruptive. Apparently he is going to blow up the combine as well. I could totally see Fisher drafting him at say, #13. He would solidify our defensive line and make it probably the best in the league, if it isn't already.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Cunningham is a decent 2nd IMO. I think he has some similarities to Stacy, I think he can hit the holes and pound it a bit. He did do nicely filling in last season. I also think he was underrated coming out of college due to his patella injury.

That wouldn't keep me from grabbing another RB in the mid rounds, or even 5th :-), due to my lack of faith in Richardson. I don't think he runs or hits the hole that well, doesn't seem decisive, and does seem slight and has issues pass blocking. I remember seeing a ***** LB just plowing him into Bradford early in the season. Can't let that happen no matter what.
    I want to see DRich when healthy. He clearly was the best back coming out of camp until he got hurt, I think he could be a nice change of pace and spell Stacy much like he did his rookie year. He's not going to be able to carry the load if Stacy went down agreed, I also like Cunningham. If the Rams cut Pead I could see room for another back late rounder though.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    When Doug Martin got injured Mike James took over for him and did a very admirable job. Unfortunately for the Bucs he also got injured for the year and then Bobby Rainey was forced into the lineup.
    Mike James had one great game (158 yards vs. Seattle) and was otherwise just okay as a starter (24 carries, 84 yards, 0 TDs in 2 other games he started).

This just enhances my "can't have too many quality RBs" point, though.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-23-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I love Ra'shede Hageman for the Rams. He also reminds me of Michael Brockers and at 6'6 300+, our defensive line would be tough to go up against. Hageman is a stout run blocker and makes a fair share of plays in the pass game. He's very disruptive. Apparently he is going to blow up the combine as well. I could totally see Fisher drafting him at say, #13. He would solidify our defensive line and make it probably the best in the league, if it isn't already.
    Of the four guys on my list, Hagerman is certainly the least "outside the box" as far as being a first round possibility for the Rams.

Quinn, Long, Hagerman and Brockers (with Hayes and Langford rotating in)... yeah, I could get behind that concept.

richtree is offline Registered User

Assuming Pead isn't gonna work out for the Rams, we can definitely use a running back that has speed and pass catching abilities to help round out our attack -- just hard to prioritize that with our other needs

Again, I'm not advocating for a RB in Round 1.

But... if the Rams made a trade, and were drafting at around pick #25, and Goodell came up to the podium and read Tre Mason's name, my reaction would be "What?", then "Wow!", then "hmmmmmm..." then "I can live with that!"

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Of the four guys on my list, Hagerman is certainly the least "outside the box" as far as being a first round possibility for the Rams.

Quinn, Long, Hagerman and Brockers (with Hayes and Langford rotating in)... yeah, I could get behind that concept.
    But somehow you couldn't get behind the concept of Quinn, Clowney, Hagerman, Brockers with Long (for 1 year), Hayes and Langford rotating in)?

How ironic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast