Barry Waller is offline Registered User

48 hours -Thoughts

Pretty much all of what one might be hearing this week is false information, especially in a year like this. With quite a few teams needing receivers, for instance, suddenly everyone is talking up Tavon Austin, particularly teams in the top ten known to be looking to deal down.

I don't think the Rams will bite, because they are not about dealing away high picks in a deep draft.

I'm going to assume that at least one of the teams wanting Austin is telling the truth, most likely the Jets, with that extra pick, and the abiity to get a QB in round two like EJ Manuel.

No matter who deals up, it's clear that these guys will be gone:

OT Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson
    G Cooper, Warmack
    DE Ansah
    LB Jordan, Mingo
    CB Milliner
    DT Floyd, Luteleilei, Richardson
    WR Austin

That's 14 guys.

The others who will be up for that 15th pick before the Rams seem to be LB J. Jones, CB DJ Hayden, S Kenny Vaccaro, T DJ Fluker, LB Alec Ogletree, TE Tyler Eifert, DT Sly Williams, and of course QB Geno Smith.

I think because of need, Fluker will be gone, and I think the Cowboys will make a short deal up to get ahead of the Rams to take Vaccaro.

Clearly, the remaining talent pool at 16 would make a trade up unlikelier for St Louis.

I see Austin as the most likely of the guys I have gone to actually end up falling, if a surprise like Smith or Eifert goes top 15, followed by Richardson and Luteleilei.

If it's one of the three DT after Floyd who falls, you can bet the Rams phone lines will be lighting up, with many good teams needing DT.

If the Rams could add a top 50 pick, I could see them dealing down from 16 if Austin is gone, and they are not sufficiently high on Ogletree, who would be my guy at 16 if they stay there. He'll be gone before 22, so the Rams could not deal far and still get him.

If they go Ogletree, I can see a lot of activity coming at the Rams for that 22nd pick.

If the Rams have the remining five top WR pretty equal, they might deal down from there, then use some of the later picks rd 3 and below to move UP from 46 to the 33-35 range.

Lets say they move up that 11 or 12 spots. It would allow the Rams to get Ogletree, say DeAndre Hopkins, and either Matt Elam or Eric Reid, or perhaps an OL like Watson, Armstead, Long, or Pugh.

Lets say they drop from 22 to 28, which is 22 points on the trade chart, a fairly high third rounder.

To go from 46 to 34 is 110 points, or a fourth.

So you could end up with 16, 28, 34, 72, and 78, and still have your fifth sixth and seventh rounders.
    I end up with Ogletree, Hopkins, Elam or Reid, and a nice RB and G combo in round three, lets say Oday Aboushi or Larry Warford and Christine Michael or LeVeon Bell.

Of course teams have to have the right picks to deal.

Here is a scenario I could see as well. The Rams are on the clock at 16, and Austin is gone. Ogletree scares them, so they trade down to 30th with Atlanta, Snead's old team, and acquire Atlanta pick in round two, four, and five, which works out on the trade chart.

Atlanta is after Eifert, who I assume has not gone as rumored by 16.

Now the Rams have 22, 30, 46, 78, two fourths two fifths a sixth and a seventh.

You take your WR at 22, say Hopkins, then Elam or Reid at 30, and use a fourth to move up to 35th, where you take Watson, Long, or Pugh. Then in round three you get your OLB or RB. , with five picks from rd 4-7 to fill our with CB, WR, DT, G, RB, OLB

You also sign either Mikell or Daryl Smith, depending on how it fell on draft day in round three especially.

We'll find out who might be moving and who the Rams really did want soon enough, but if I have my wish come true, this is how i would play it.

Barry Waller

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 48 hours -Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Waller
    Pretty much all of what one might be hearing this week is false information
    So then does that mean this too is false. And therefore, pretty much all of what we hear this week is....true??

Inquiring minds want to know.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 48 hours -Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Waller
    and of course QB Geno Smith.
    Barry, what are your thoughts on all the Nassib to the Bills rumors going around. The need and coaching connection are both there, but is Nassib really that high up the food chain now?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod