throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

5 Pre-Draft Questions That Could Impact Rams' Picks

We're coming down to the wire, but there are still a few questions floating around out there that could impact the Rams' draft.

Here are 5 that I'll be keeping an eye on:

1. Will Ben Roethlisberger Be Charged/Suspended
    If the Rams are seriously considering passing on Sam Bradford in favor of taking Ndamukong Suh (or Gerald McCoy) and waiting until the 33rd pick to take a QB, they'll have to project which teams in Round 1 might take a QB. If the Ben Roethlisberger is charged with a crime on Monday (when the D.A. is scheduled to announce the results of the investigation), or is supended by the league, the Steelers could be in that market.

2. Will Jason Campbell be traded?
    Campbell's status could impact the Rams in two ways. First, if he is traded to a team that might otherwise take a QB in Round 1, it enhances the likelihood that Colt McCoy or even Jimmy Clausen might fall to pick #33. If he is not traded, he could be a fail-safe plan for the Rams if they pass on Bradford and Clausen and McCoy are selected before the Rams' second pick.

3. Will Marc Bulger be signed?
    Like Campbell, any team that obtains Bulger is less likely to take a QB in Round 1, which enhances the Rams' chance of pulling off a DT/QB first two rounds.

4. How will Demaryius Thomas run on 4/18?
    Thomas has scheduled and eleventh-hour workout to show he has the speed to merit a first round selection. He likely won't be 100%. The result could determine whether he might be available to the Rams at #33 (I think he'd be a great option there), or if he might push down other WRs to the second round.

5. How will negotiations with Bradford's agent go?
    At this point, both sides have leverage. Bradford's camp knows that the Rams want Sam. The Rams know that Bradford probably drops all the way to pick #7 (Cleveland) if the Rams pass on him. It will be interesting to see if the parties reach an agreement by Bradford's April 19 visit to Rams Park. If the parties are far apart at that time, could we see another Reggie Bush/Mario Williams scenario?

Stay tuned, sports fans!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Re: 5 Pre-Draft Questions That Could Impact Rams' Picks

Ive heard on 101 ESPN Roethlisberger will not be charged, not sure if he will suffer a short term suspension. Regardless, the Steelers are definetely not picking a QB in the first round, if at all.

I can't see the Rams choosing an unpolished to the tenth degree receiver to add to their relatively inexperienced receivers. He has great upside yes, but picking him at 33 is a luxury the Rams do not in any shape or form have. I'm about as certain he is not an option for us at 33 that i can be without having a clue.

We'll get Damian Williams before we get Thomas I think.

I don't see the Rams passing on their franchise QB in Bradford because they couldn't reach a deal super quick. That sounds like foolish impatience to me. Every indication is that the Rams and Bradford should come to a reasonably quick deal. Condon is familiar with the Rams, Bradford is a good guy who has no reservations for playing with the Rams, Demoff is a smart and reasonable negoiator.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We're coming down to the wire, but there are still a few questions floating around out there that could impact the Rams' draft.

1. Will Ben Roethlisberger Be Charged/Suspended
    If the Rams are seriously considering passing on Sam Bradford in favor of taking Ndamukong Suh (or Gerald McCoy) and waiting until the 33rd pick to take a QB, they'll have to project which teams in Round 1 might take a QB. If the Ben Roethlisberger is charged with a crime on Monday (when the D.A. is scheduled to announce the results of the investigation), or is supended by the league, the Steelers could be in that market.

2. Will Jason Campbell be traded?
    Campbell's status could impact the Rams in two ways. First, if he is traded to a team that might otherwise take a QB in Round 1, it enhances the likelihood that Colt McCoy or even Jimmy Clausen might fall to pick #33. If he is not traded, he could be a fail-safe plan for the Rams if they pass on Bradford and Clausen and McCoy are selected before the Rams' second pick.

3. Will Marc Bulger be signed?
    Like Campbell, any team that obtains Bulger is less likely to take a QB in Round 1, which enhances the Rams' chance of pulling off a DT/QB first two rounds.

Thomas has scheduled and eleventh-hour workout to show he has the speed to merit a first round selection. He likely won't be 100%. The result could determine whether he might be available to the Rams at #33 (I think he'd be a great option there), or if he might push down other WRs to the second round.

5. How will negotiations with Bradford's agent go?
    At this point, both sides have leverage. Bradford's camp knows that the Rams want Sam. The Rams know that Bradford probably drops all the way to pick #7 (Cleveland) if the Rams pass on him. It will be interesting to see if the parties reach an agreement by Bradford's April 19 visit to Rams Park. If the parties are far apart at that time, could we see another Reggie Bush/Mario Williams scenario?

Stay tuned, sports fans!
    1. Initial word from Roger Kosack ESPN legal analyst is he won't be charged so so you never know. Even if he is charged I don't think they will be spending a first rounder on a QB. They have wholes on the O-line and secondary. When big Ben comes back you have a 100 million dollar backup (doubtful) or a first rounder backing up a young Franchise QB

2. Agreed. Buffalo or Oakland look like good fits

3. I agree, but if Bulger is signed at all I think it is more likely he will be signed by a team after the draft who doesn't get a QB

4. Another good question if there isn't an offensive weapon with legit first round talent (Thomas, Gresham, possibly Best or Benn) I think we are going to trade down.

5. Biggest question IMO. I think (don't know what the front office thinks) they like Bradford enough to keep negotiating with him even if he isn't locked up prior to the draft. Kevin Demoff is a reall good contract guy and I think they will get something done. Condon and crew have locked up former number 1 overall picks prior to the draft in recent years and even though these circumstances are much different I have faith in the Rams and Demoff coming to an agreement with Bradford weather it is before draft and definately before camp.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    1. Initial word from Roger Kosack ESPN legal analyst is he won't be charged so so you never know. Even if he is charged I don't think they will be spending a first rounder on a QB. They have wholes on the O-line and secondary. When big Ben comes back you have a 100 million dollar backup (doubtful) or a first rounder backing up a young Franchise QB
    I believe I saw this on Sportscenter a couple of hours ago and it's not looking at all like he'll be charged. In my opinion the Steelers have to like what they see from Dennis Dixon as their backup. He looks like a nice fit in their offense and could be a Jim Sorgi/Matt Cassell/Seneca Wallace for the Steelers in that he's a high end backup capable of winning a few games when the starter is out. Admittedly, that's never been proven with Sorgi seeing as Manning has never been hurt, but there has to be a reason the Colts have been keeping him around for all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Stay tuned, sports fans!
    I think if we're looking at a WR at the top of the second, we could do a lot worse than Thomas. He has the size and the hands to be a good NFL reciever, and if he can show he has the top-end speed he'd be a worthy pick at 33. It's going to be highly circumstantial at pick 33 because we're going to have any number of options to look at. Personally, I'm hoping for Jared Odrick to fall, though I don't envision it happening.

The trade of Santonio Holmes to the Jets could impact the WR crop available at #33. Many (including myself and, I believe, Nick as well) projected that the Jets would take a WR in the first round. With Braylon Edwards and Holmes now on their roster, I suspect they'll look elsewhere.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Wouldn't just mean that the Steelers might be in the market for a 1st round receiver now as opposed to the Jets? Granted, they need offensive linemen, but now they have 1200 yards missing in receiving.
    I believe!

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Wouldn't just mean that the Steelers might be in the market for a 1st round receiver now as opposed to the Jets? Granted, they need offensive linemen, but now they have 1200 yards missing in receiving.
    I don't think so. The Steelers still have Hines Ward as #1 and he has indicated he plans to play for a couple of more years. Limas Sweed looks like a bust, but last year's 3rd rounder, Mike Wallace put up 750 and 6 TDs in only 40 catches. I think they expect him to blossom with more playing time. It probably made Holmes expendable. They also recently signed vets Joey Galloway, Arnez Battle and Antwan Randle El.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    That's certainly possible, but I suspect they are more likely to take an OT or a DB.