Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 2 Post By Fastcat

Thread: 5 Prospects who intrigue, but concern me.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

5 Prospects who intrigue, but concern me.

Some prospects are "safe bets"... i.e. players who have a good record of college performance, have the right measurables, and fit a need.

Others tease the possibility of true greatness, but have a potential flaw that makes me nervous about using a premium pick on them.

Here is my current list of players who really intrigue me, but also scare me a bit.

1. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    When you look at Austin, its hard not to think about guys like Steve Smith, Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin. In Rams' history, he could be the next Az Hakim. But the concern is obvious: do you spend a late first round pick on a player who is less than 180 lbs? Right now, my answer is... maybe.

2. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    Is Lane Johnson a premium OT prospect, or is he the beneficiary of a thin OT class (due to Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan returning to school) who is being pumped up because of his athleticism. Put another way... is he Jason Smith, the sequel? I think the answer is "no," but it worries me a bit.

3. Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
    If he drops, it will be due to injury concerns. Can the Rams afford to take that kind of risk? The upside is unquestionable. We've heard Jeff Fisher talk about how Aldon Smith's production is due, to a large extent, to playing next to/behind Justin Smith. Could a Chris Long/Jarvis Jones pairing do the same? I want to know more about his medical outlook before I endorse him fully.

4. Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama
    Another injury concern. Foot injuries for 300 lb. players are a big concern. If healthy, I think he's the most versatile OL in the draft. He probably could play any position on the line. But, again, the Rams can't afford to risk resources on a guy who could be on the sideline.

5. Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
    If Steven Jackson leaves, the Rams could very well be in the market for a RB early in the draft. Many regard Lacy as the top RB in the class. But you have to ask the question: how much of his success was due to his skills, and how much was due to the fact that he played behind an OL that features no less than 4 players likely to be taken in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft? I still prefer Le'Veon Bell, who would not require a first round pick, but I am interested in seeing Lacy's 40 time.
    ManofGod likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: 5 Prospects who intrigue, but concern me.

I agree....just in general if the Running Back isn't that elite running like a Trent Richardson, I would never waste a Round 1 pick when we have 5 other needs that carry priority...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Austin's an interesting player, to be certain, but we already have an outside burner in Givens. Givens showed last year that he has the potential to be a heavy workload guy as well. He's also bigger than Austin, who I don't think you can trust to go inside on much of anything, for fear that some 265lb linebacker will snap him in two. His outside game could be deadly by itself, though, but he won't be winning any jump balls, either. I just don't like him as a 1st rounder. But that's me.

I like Johnson, as it seems like he's the unquestioned 3rd LT prospect, though Fluker could be better as a RT. If we come out of the first round with either of these guys, I'd be pretty happy. My dream would be to trade back into the 20's from 16 and be able to come away with Eifert, Fluker, and a day two pick.

Jones, if he drops to 16 is a very intriguing question. He's got top 10 or 5 talent, certainly, but we already have two starting DE's. I could see him if we adopt a NYG, Kiwanuka-like role for him where he drops down on pass rush downs. But can he play NFL coverage when he doesn't rush? I'm less worried about his injury and more on how we ould use him.

Lacy, I just don't see the value there in the 1st round. If he's there at our second round pick, then maybe. I'm higher on Johnathan Franklin in the 4th or, as you are going with, Bell in the 3rd, if we need a back.
    I believe!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Austin's an interesting player, to be certain, but we already have an outside burner in Givens. Givens showed last year that he has the potential to be a heavy workload guy as well. He's also bigger than Austin, who I don't think you can trust to go inside on much of anything, for fear that some 265lb linebacker will snap him in two. His outside game could be deadly by itself, though, but he won't be winning any jump balls, either. I just don't like him as a 1st rounder. But that's me.
    Sure Givens is fast, but TA is even faster, not to mention he's nowhere near the player that Austin is with the ball in his hands. With Givens running deep routes (and drawing the safeties away), Austin would have plenty of room to operate underneath. As for him being snapped in two, for a guy listed at only 5-9 and 180 pounds, he doesn't miss games due to injury and he rarely fumbles even when he does get hit.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    I see Austin as a fit here. He would instantly be our PR/KR... One in which we havent had since Az Hakim. And he is a pure slot reciever in my eyes, just give the guy the ball in space an watch the magic! But he wont be an every down player becuase of his size.... Ill still take him in the 1st round... We are in dire need of playmakers AND a return guy
    Bar-bq and Vinnie25 like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    But the concern is obvious: do you spend a late first round pick on a player who is less than 180 lbs? Right now, my answer is... maybe.
    Well, I guess I don't understand that. Seems like your answer will always be....maybe. It's not like he is going to get bigger, so the concern remains constant. Perhaps something happens to change the answer to a definite no but how would he ever rise above a maybe?

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I don't know about one of our first round picks. But speed kills in the NFL. If Austin can be a clutch slot receiver and returner for years to come. He might be worth drafting. Because his addition theb would be intangible

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I believe you most definitely spend a 1st round pick on Tavon Austin, because if we don't, you can best believe someone will. And let's pray it's not SF or Seattle. He looks to me to be the biggest playmaker of them all, both in the slot and returning kicks.

Besides, I believe we've already made that mistake with Desean Jackson.

I believe if a talent like Jarvis Jones, (who is cleared for takeoff by doctors) falls to us, much like Robert Quinn, we jump on him. With him, we are likely set for the forseeable future at LB.

Conversely, I don't think we should, nor do I think we will take any RB in the 1st round, no matter what SJax does. We just drafted two backs last year and I believe they, along with Ganaway will be given every opportunity to carry the load, should Jackson not return.

As for the linemen, I believe there are enough good ones in this draft to forego them in the 1st round.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Well, I guess I don't understand that. Seems like your answer will always be....maybe. It's not like he is going to get bigger, so the concern remains constant. Perhaps something happens to change the answer to a definite no but how would he ever rise above a maybe?

Depends on who is on the board when the Rams pick.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Hard to disagree with your list and assesments. I mentioned it in another thread but Lane Johnson scares the HELL out of me. Never like the moved around one year starter with athletic upside neither on defense nor offense. Especially in the first round. I think he's a great 2nd round talent but indeed pushed up due to others not declaring. Austin also fits that category.

Only one I think doesn't really fit the list is Jones. He's a solid prospect and the nature of his injury doesn't worry me. Good body of work and mentality.