Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: With the 52nd pick, St. Louis selects Brian Leonard, FB, Rutgers

Here's how I see this pick:

If:

(a) his role is essentially a back-up to Jackson and Jackson stays healthy, it may be a bit of a reach for a second round pick.

However, if:

(b) he can take on a role playing along side of Jackson and/or he needs to fill in for Jackson on occasion, this will be regarded as a very smart pick.

As it is, while there were a couple of players I would have gone with over Leonard, none of them were what we still really need - a big DT. Perhaps the third round (Mebane?) or maybe even a day 2 pick (Soliai?).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    It's okay. Would have preferred Ryan Kali, Charles Johnson or Stewart Bradley, but Leonard is rutgers all time leader in scoring and recieivng, reportedly. Here's hoping he's Chris Cooley incarnate.
    Exactly. My problem with the pick has little to do with deficiencies in Leonard as a prospect but rather what was passed on to take him. Hopefully it all works out though and some players slip to us in the third.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

viper is offline Registered User

Well, it seems that there are alot of people who think that Leonard is a difference maker. I hope they're right. I really wanted us to go defense.

This is what Rotoworld had to say:

http://rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

"Rams selected Rutgers RB Brian Leonard with the No. 52 pick in the NFL Draft.

Leonard will be Steven Jackson's backup. The 6-2/226-pounder runs a forty in the 4.4s and has the fast-twitch athleticism and pass-catching ability to play on all downs. Count on five-to-eight carries a game as a rookie and if Jackson goes down at any point, Leonard to be a big-time fantasy sleeper."

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As it is, while there were a couple of players I would have gone with over Leonard, none of them were what we still really need - a big DT. Perhaps the third round (Mebane?) or maybe even a day 2 pick (Soliai?).
    According to Linehan, Carriker is playing that DT role. I doubt the Rams draft a defensive tackle in the third or even the fourth unless someone they love slips. Maybe later on Day Two just for depth. At this point, a pass rusher at DE looks like a bigger need, and we just passed on a couple to take Leonard. Just kind of a strange decision, especially if in 3-4 years Leonard wants to test the market and be a starting running back somewhere.

DirtyRU Guest

Congratulations...

You guys just picked one heck of a player, not to mention one heck of a man. I know a majority of you are thinking defense, the pick doesn't make sense, etc., but I guarantee you that Leonard will not disappoint. His label of "jack-of-all-tradeds" is accurate. There is not much he can't do, and he will come up big in many situatiuons.

P.S. You just gained a big following in Jersey!

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

We can't do much more with the D-Line...
    Wroten, Kennedy(Contract year..Another Pickett?), Glover, Little, Hall, Carriker. Wroten, in many people's eyes, will be great for years and years to come. Keep in mind, he would have been a 1st round pick possibly if he had not have had all of those issues with marijuana and what not..

Hall can be great..with decent D-Line talent around him..we have that.
    Kennedy, still CAN do something. Potential's still there. Apparently he wants it now. The Ram's coaching staff did nothing but talk about how great he looked before he broke his hand or w/e...Then he had a few good games during the end of the year..Plus with the added motivation of actually getting paid decent amount of money..He can be great for us. We already know about Little..and with someone to take the double teams off of him, he'll have a great year. Glover's a good rusher, just too small. Needs size around him, and with Carriker, Wrotten, and Kennedy..I feel we'll be alright. As Nick pointed out in the chatroom...The Rams are showing, they're really not going for a true NT. If that's the case, our D-Line HAS that potential to be great. Why go for another Linebacker? I mean, sure we could..but, we already have quite a few. Our D-Backs could use maybe one more player...we have five more picks..we can address that.

When we can make our offense even greater than before..why not? Keep in mind, our defenses during TGSOT days wern't spectacular. What they did best was force turnovers. If our offense got up early, we'd make the opposing teams have to try to catch up. QB's more likely to force things...which means..the possiblity of a turnover. I feel we are capable of forcing those turnovers with this D...I mean..We led the league for like the first four weeks in that dept. That right there shows me..we can do it again. During our GSOT days, our defense played best when we were up a TD or Two...during close games, they had a tougher time, but still managed to keep it close..unlike our current defense. That's really the only different thing about us from then..and now.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly. My problem with the pick has little to do with deficiencies in Leonard as a prospect but rather what was passed on to take him. Hopefully it all works out though and some players slip to us in the third.
    Right-- Charles Johnson, Quentin Moses, Tanard Jackson, Stewart Bradley, Jonathan Wade, Daymieon Hughes or Ray McDonald.

Kali is a Carolina Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    We can't do much more with the D-Line...
    Can't say I agree with that. We're moving Carriker inside, which means we really only have three actual defensive ends on the roster - Little, Hall, and Adeyanju. Like it or not, Hall is an injury risk. We certainly could use depth there, and asking Carriker to provide it delays any progress he could be making inside. Crowder was highly rated and would have been a solid pick. Also keep in mind both Little and Hall are 30+. Additional talent at DE could certainly have been added, and hopefully will still be available in the third.

The guy I really wanted at that spot though was Ryan Kalil, the center out of USC. Brett Romberg was a practice squad player who looked good at the end of the season but is far from a sure thing. Andy McCollum is coming off a serious injury and is likely one season away from retirement. Richie Incognito is now the starting RG. Picking up the best center in this draft in the mid second round would have been a quality move to continue to secure the offensive line. The only thing that might have shifted the Rams away from Kalil may be if they're using more of a power blocking scheme, as Kalil is more of a fit in the zone.

I just see not only bigger needs but high rated prospects that we passed on to take a guy whom I'm sure we'll try to incorporate and whom I like as a player but isn't going to be a starter over Jackson and will probably give us moderate at best production if he starts at fullback. How many touches is Leonard realistically going to get? Leonard is a fine prospect, but I think we passed on guys who would have more impact at areas of bigger concern.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Can't say I agree with that. We're moving Carriker inside, which means we really only have three actual defensive ends on the roster - Little, Hall, and Adeyanju. Like it or not, Hall is an injury risk. We certainly could use depth there, and asking Carriker to provide it delays any progress he could be making inside. Crowder was highly rated and would have been a solid pick. Also keep in mind both Little and Hall are 30+. Additional talent at DE could certainly have been added, and hopefully will still be available in the third.
    Exactly right. We really don't have a lot of DE's, nor a lot of pass-rushing ability, we needed a DE. Unfortunately the DE's are flying off the board right now, the top 12 defensive ends are already taken, around half of them after our 2nd rounder - we had a shot at a decent DE in the 2nd, but it looks like slim pickings in the 3rd at that position now, bummer.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Yeah, have to agree... Kalil looked like a very nice pick @52.

I love the first pick, this second pick not so much.

Grade so far: C

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As I give it more thought, the guy I think we could see in Round 3 is Brian Robison, the DE/OLB from Texas. He has situational pass rusher written all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As I give it more thought, the guy I think we could see in Round 3 is Brian Robison, the DE/OLB from Texas. He has situational pass rusher written all over him.
    Robinson is #3 on my DL list right now behind Charles Johnson and Ray McDonald.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Robinson is #3 on my DL list right now behind Charles Johnson and Ray McDonald.
    Johnson, I think should have been drafted earlier. I just hope he falls to St.Louis. Robinson makes a lot of sense, too.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I will say I did not like it at first, but he is a very good football player. I have faith in the FO. Now get some defense.

viper is offline Registered User

Rams Take Bruiser From Rutgers in Round 2
    Saturday, April 28, 2007

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/61155/

OVERVIEW
    While the fullback position has evolved over the years, Leonard's hard-nosed, aggressive style is reminiscent to that of former Green Bay Packers great Jim Taylor. Not since Purdue's Mike Alstott (1991-95) has a collegiate fullback been able to determine an outcome of a game on such a consistent basis as Leonard did throughout his career. Whether breaking free for a long run, powering his way into the end zone in goal-line situations, providing a devastating block for halfback sensation Ray Rice or making the clutch catch in traffic, Leonard is the type of player defenses always need to account for.

Brian Leonard exploded onto the collegiate scene in 2003, earning Freshman All-American honors as he was also named Big East Conference Freshman of the Year. He started 10 of 12 games at halfback, leading the team in rushing with 880 yards and nine touchdowns on 213 carries (4.1-yard average). He also led the Scarlet Knights with 53 receptions for 488 yards (9.2 avg.) and five scores. He ranked fifth in the Big East with an average of 114.0 all-purpose yards per game and scored 84 points. He also had two solo tackles and a fumble recovery.

Leonard shifted to fullback in 2004, earning Pro Football Weekly All-American honors. The first-team All-Big East Conference pick missed the Syracuse game with a leg bruise, but he still led the conference with an average of 125.0 all-purpose yards per game. He led the team with 199 carries for 732 yards (3.7 avg.) and seven touchdowns and ranked second on the squad with 61 catches for 518 yards (8.5 avg.) and two scores to finish with 54 points. Leonard also had three tackles (two solos).

In 2005, Leonard was again named to Pro Football Weekly's All-American team, in addition to picking up All-Big East Conference accolades. Taking on a more traditional fullback role with the arrival of halfback Raymell Rice, Leonard still finished second on the team with 173 rushes for 740 yards (4.3 avg.) and 11 touchdowns. He led Rutgers with 55 receptions for 568 yards (10.3 avg.) and six scores. His average of 8.5 points scored per game ranked fourth in the Big East while his average of 4.58 catches per game ranked second. He scored a career-high 102 points and averaged 109.0 all-purpose yards per game.

As a senior, Leonard was again named a first-team All-American and landed on the All-Big East Conference second team. He was used more as a blocker, producing 14 touchdown-producing blocks. He carried 93 times for a career-low 427 yards (4.6 avg.) and five touchdowns. He caught 38 passes for 294 yards (7.7 avg.) and totaled 667 all-purpose yards with 30 total points and two solo tackles.

In 47 games at Rutgers, Leonard started 45 times. He holds the Big East record with at least one reception in 47 games. He holds the school record with 207 career receptions, on which he gained 1,868 yards (9.0 avg.) and scored 13 touchdowns. He rushed 678 times for 2,779 yards (4.1 avg.) and 32 scores. He holds the school record with 272 points scored and recorded seven tackles (six solos) and a fumble recovery. Leonard holds the Rutgers record with 5,961 all-purpose yards, averaging 129.59 yards per game.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast