Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    keith m. klink Guest

Re: With the 52nd pick, St. Louis selects Brian Leonard, FB, Rutgers

Quote Originally Posted by vikes2456 View Post
    I'm a Viking fan and a Rutgers student. This kid is nothing has a great heart, and is a great player. I guarantee every single one of you, that one year from now each and every single one of you will call this pick a brilliant signing. You won't regret this one bit.

i have to tell you , when we made this pick , my jaw hit the floor . # 52 TIM CROWDER - DE . no, no no no no no no . after i saw linehan submit the rest of the draft , i saw that the rams pulled quite a move , LEONARD, could be the second best RB in the draft this year . by the 6th round ( after the clifton ryans pick) i was settled down and new we were fine . after the JACKSON pick , i knew linehan made the right choice for the team . i would have loved CARRIKER - CROWDER , but i'll be o.k.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

I hope the coaching staff knows what there doing, and they know how to use Brain so as to maximize his contributions to our offense. I wonder where alot of our clan members get the idea that he blocks well as a FB, from everthing I read about him he is a average blocker. No way can we conpare his blocking to L.Neal as some people have.:l

RealRam is offline Registered User

Not sure if this article has been posted elsewhere; if so, sorry, but I didn't see it here in this thread. It refers to yet another high mark on Leonard.

Updated: Dec. 5, 2006, 11:26 PM ET

Leonard wins Draddy Trophy as top scholar athlete. Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Rutgers fullback Brian Leonard won the Draddy Trophy on Tuesday night, given to college football's top scholar athlete.

Leonard was one of 17 finalists from all levels of college football honored at the National Football Foundation awards banquet.

A labor and employment major, Leonard has been a huge part of the Scarlet Knights' turnaround the past two seasons. He became the school's career scoring leader this season, but mostly he deferred to tailback Ray Rice after being the focal point of Rutgers' offense for much of his career.

With Leonard's blocking and receiving used to complement Rice's running, Rutgers went 10-2.

Leonard receives a $25,000 scholarship for postgraduate studies for winning the award.

The other Division I-A finalists were Florida quarterback Chris Leak; Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny; Colorado guard Brian Daniels; Connecticut defensive tackle Rhema Fuller; West Virginia linebacker Jay Henry; Oklahoma defensive tackle Carl Pendleton; Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas; and Wyoming safety John Wendling.

The I-AA finalists were Yale offensive lineman Ed McCarthy; St. Francis, Pa., receiver Luke Palko and Alabama A&M offensive lineman Kristian Smith.

Ferris State linebacker Michael Klobucher and Pittsburgh State defensive end Ryan Meredith were the Division II finalists.

Carnegie Mellon defensive back Aaron Lewis and St. Thomas receiver P.J. Theisen were picked from Division III, and Ambrose center Brad Cook was picked from NAIA.

MASSIVE, from what I've read, this RB from Rutgers is above average when it comes to blocking skills.

NFL.com Draft Prospects:
    While the fullback position has evolved over the years, Leonard's hard-nosed, aggressive style is reminiscent to that of former Green Bay Packers great Jim Taylor. Not since Purdue's Mike Alstott (1991-95) has a collegiate fullback been able to determine an outcome of a game on such a consistent basis as Leonard did throughout his career. Whether breaking free for a long run, powering his way into the end zone in goal-line situations, providing a devastating block for halfback sensation Ray Rice or making the clutch catch in traffic, Leonard is the type of player defenses always need to account for.
    KFFL's Carlan Whitaker:
    ...You get the privilege of seeing an exceptional individual, one that is larger than life, come along every decade or so. When you start hearing about a football player that has been compared to the legendary Jim Taylor (HOF FB, Green Bay Packers, 1958-66, and New Orleans Saints, 1967), there's the potential for something special.

That's running back Brian Leonard from Rutgers University.

Experts describe Leonard as one of the top all-purpose backs in college football. He was named starting FB on the 2007 Senior Bowl North Squad...

University of Pittsburgh linebacker H.B. Blades described Leonard as "a very, very underrated player... he's the best running back I've played against since I've been in college." Such players that Blades has faced include Kevin Jones (Detroit Lions), Julius Jones (Dallas Cowboys), Walter Reyes (Syracuse University) and Darius Walker (University of Notre Dame). Blades added, "That combination of power and speed is amazing. Some of the runs he makes in the open field, he can cut like a tailback. He jumps over safeties when they try and cut him, but then he runs over linebackers and defensive linemen. His combination of power and speed just makes him the best at what he does."

Leonard is extremely athletic. He turned in a time of 4.49 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine [I thought it was a 4.65], which is exceptionally fast for a FB and above-average for a RB. He has size (6-foot-1 1/2, 225 pounds), hands, speed, proven leadership, unselfish play and high character. In today's environment in the National Football league, that latter point will score big with teams and the commissioner.

For the position, he is an excellent runner with great balance and instincts. He has proven to be tough, strong and difficult to take down. He is also an excellent receiver and route-runner.

He is an above-average blocker that is known to be a hard worker. With his versatility, he could help the right team in a variety of ways.

Tell you what though, even if he were an "average" blocker in college, again, from what I've read lately, I frimly believe that will soon change in the NFL to a higher level. Still, as far as a pure FB, I'm counting on Madison Hedgecock for his blocking specialty.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Despite the impressive testimonials for Leonard, I can't get by the fact that we passed on a couple of guys (most notably Crowder) that had the potential to shore up and improve an area that is in desperate need of attention. Desperate need.

That said, I like the Leonard addition, I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the defensive line. While I don't think he can make that much of an impact as a backup on a team that has an abundance of weapons, I hope he can make a difference in his role and on ST's.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

DEs like Crowder and Johnson come every year, Leonard really is a one-of-a-kind player. Here in NJ, he is a legend already. My friend started to cry when the Giants passed on him and he started swearing at me when the Rams picked him.

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

I would have to agree with the previous poster. Leonard is a great pick but, we shouldn't have taken him at the expense of our need at the Defensive End position. Not to mention Carolina took Charles Johnson right before us, how bad does that trade for Dante Hall look? We switched third rounders with KC and give up a fifth.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by timsum1283
    DEs like Crowder and Johnson come every year, Leonard really is a one-of-a-kind player. Here in NJ, he is a legend already. My friend started to cry when the Giants passed on him and he started swearing at me when the Rams picked him.
    Despite what anyone thinks of Leonard's ability, again, he'll be a backup with the Rams and let's face facts, he's going to get lost in the vast arsenal of Ram weapons and won't come close to improving the team to the extent that a solid DE in the rotation would. There is just no comparison between the needs on the DL and the RB position. The smart move would have been taking the higher rated DE in the second to address an extreme need, and a lower rated RB in a later round to address a minor need. At least that's the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbozo21
    Not to mention Carolina took Charles Johnson right before us, how bad does that trade for Dante Hall look? We switched third rounders with KC and give up a fifth.
    The irony is, if we had taken Crowder in the second, it would be a moot point.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I would have liked to have seen either A)

1) Adam Carriker
    2) Tim Crowder
    3) Johnathon Wade

or B)

1) Adam Carriker
    2) Eric Wright
    3) Charles Johnson

I think Brian Leonard was a luxury pick that we could not afford to make.
    Albeit, I love the guy and am glad we have him, I just think it was a bit Martz-y.

YOYO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Not sure if this article has been posted elsewhere; if so, sorry, but I didn't see it here in this thread. It refers to yet another high mark on Leonard.

MASSIVE, from what I've read, this RB from Rutgers is above average when it comes to blocking skills.

NFL.com Draft Prospects:

KFFL's Carlan Whitaker:

Tell you what though, even if he were an "average" blocker in college, again, from what I've read lately, I frimly believe that will soon change in the NFL to a higher level. Still, as far as a pure FB, I'm counting on Madison Hedgecock for his blocking specialty.
    I think what massive is referring to is the comparisions to a certain FB from San Diego and While I think B.L. is a good player he is NOT a great blocker. One more thing, now that we drafted B.L. I don't think Madison will play much next season.

YOYO is offline Registered User

From ESPN:
    Brian Leonard
    Weaknesses: Lacks ideal straight-line speed and second-gear as a fulltime running back. Not overly elusive and will not make many defenders miss in space. Doesn't have the burst to consistently turn the corner at the next level and isn't fast enough to outrun defenses when gets a seam. He currently lacks ideal size and natural strength as a fulltime lead-blocker type. Doesn't always play with great leverage and has some problems rooting linebackers out of the hole.

z.nrd Guest

Leonard was a great pick.

He will be the 1B back Linehan needs to run his system properly. That is, a 2nd RB to share carries with the 1A back (Jackson, obviously).

They could be in the same backfield sometimes but mostly it will be the 1A/1B set up.

He also adds a lot more. He can not only play as a FB, but as an H-back. He will be an effective pass blocker in the backfield.

And when was the last time you saw the Rams send the RB leaping over the pile on short yardage? Problem solved.

He will add to special teams. He will add all sorts of intangibles.

But mostly he will be the 2nd runner who makes Linehan's 1a/1b system go. And a very good one. Kind of a faster Antowain Smith. (I'm not good at comparisons but you see the point.)

KingHigh is offline Registered User

Actually, a very good comparison would be Steven Jackson. Same size and speed and skill set. Leonard is also an exceptional blocker.

When people say that Leonard is like "Mike Alstott" I literally vomit into my mouth. The only thing those two players have in common is that they are both white. The similarities end there.

He is very much like Jackson on the field.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

In 2005 SJ had quite a bit of injury trouble. Keeping in mind how many touches he had last year, there is a fairly high probability that he misses some time in the coming season, due to injury. We can have all the talent that we have at receiver/ tight end but if there is no ground threat then defences will soon snuff us out. We badly needed a back to step up if needed and to give SJ a breather during games, as well as some two back sets.
    Leonard brings a terrific "team first" attitude, great flexibility and special teams help. I think he's a great pick.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

You guys must have discounted James Hall as a non-factor for this team.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    You guys must have discounted James Hall as a non-factor for this team.
    im surprised as well, its not like the guy has never sacked anyone.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast