Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: With the 77th overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Jon Alston, OLB, Stanford

He looks big on tape, too. He may not be an immediate starter, but if he does start alongside Pisa and Witherspoon, that's going to be some tremendous speed on the field. Everything I've seen says he actually runs a 4.4. If nothing else, he should be a good back-up and special teamer.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Re: With the 77th overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Jon Alston, OLB, Stanford

im not too hyped about this pick and would have personally picked a few other players over him that remain on the board going into the second day of the draft but who knows right now what haslett has planned for him!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

They say he was the fastest in the LB class. I like him already, despite the fact he blew under my radar. I hope he gets a chance to start ans succeed, especially as a rusher out of the 3-4, moving Chillar inside.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

He played end-rusher in a 3-4 set at Stanford, registering 15 sacks in two college seasons, and runs a 4.4. Any guess at how the Rams might use him?

Rambos is online now Registered User

He worked out at Saftey at the combine and they say he did his drills better then most. He plyed with OJ so he has somone he know going into camp that helps.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I love the intensity in his eyes. stanford kid, has to be smart. Looks like an arch type to me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

This is my FAVORITE pick of our draft.

Overall, I'm unhappy they haven't gotten any Interior O-line with some good ones out there (Max-Jean Giles is still there).

However, this PICK I really like. This guy has PRODUCED on the field. He's not just a workout warrior. He is a solid individual with good character. He's a hard worker and he's willing to play wherever he can to contribute. Many teams were interested in moving Alston to Safety before the draft. I read that several places that teams were working him out as safety.

I think he'll be a good linebacker and possibly a REAL good linebacker.

This pick is the only thing keeping me from writing some nasty e-mails and unhappy posts.

Again, this man has produced on the football field and then punctuated it with great workouts.

And to those concerned with his size: He's incredibly strong. He did
    30 reps at the combine. Most of the 300lb lineman didn't do that.
    This guy will turn out to be a player, IMO
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -04-29-2006 at 10:39 PM.

This says what kind of athlete and producer Jon Alston is:

Manny Lawson was widely viewed as a First round selection. Teams were enthralled with Lawson's FREAKISH numbers and he was called a "Sack Machine". Lawson went in the first round today and he was on many team's lists.

Manny Lawson:
    40 speed: 4.43 Sacks*: 17 ... Bench Reps 23

Jon Alston:
    40 speed: 4.40 Sacks*: 16 ... Bench Reps 30

* = Last 2 years of college

-----------------------

Indeed, these guys may not be apples and apples, but I think the above combine and sack numbers illustrate the production and Super-Freakishalistic ability of Jon Alston.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Wow. Alston may be small but did more Benchs that AJ Hawk did. Very impressive!
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Alston is a great athlete, which is one of the reasons his stock flew up to the first day to begin with. And if Haslett's scheme is designed to feature three smaller but faster linebackers, then he makes more sense. But personally I would have preferred someone with a bit more bulk, maybe a Clint Ingram or a day two guy like Spencer Havner, even if it means sacrificing a couple tenths of a second. Just my $0.02.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Nick,

I'm wondering if they have special plans - a unique role for Alston.

Joe Gibbs - Years ago would periodically play a special Linebacker in an unorthodox role. He did it 2 or 3 years in the playoffs and totally Baffled a Randall Cunningham led offense.

The linebacker would be an exceptional rusher that was moved around on the defense and many times was used in passing situations.

16 sacks is his last two years is up there with the top producers. 30 Reps is awesome and his natural strength probably contributes to his explosiveness.

If we view him as a very special athlete used in a special role on the defense than it's easier to see how he can make a difference. And he's smart

40+ vertical leap

general counsel is offline Registered User

linehan says he is switching to safety. again, an arch type guy. will play special teams asap.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Well, he looks even more impressive than Archuleta coming out of college and ARCH was a 1st round selection.

Alston is 13 lbs bigger, an inch taller, slightly faster, & slightly better vertical.

Archuleta had 9 sacks in his last 2 years
    Alston had....16 sacks in his last 2 years

I also can't help but think this guy can add some pounds without losing speed.

Most players gain a little weight from their college days.. that means we'll have a 230lb safety.

What's a 230 pound safety say?
    Here Receiver, Receiver
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -04-30-2006 at 01:54 AM.

kiwi_ram is offline Registered User

those shots definetely place him as a good prospect at SS rather then LB

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, let's put it this way. If the Rams use a second day draft pick on a more pure linebacker, I'd be fine trying Alston out at safety. But if tomorrow comes to a close and Alston is our only LB pick, then I think he should stay there. The guy's a crazy athlete, and you have to think that Haslett probably has ideas about using him like he would have used Arch had Adam resigned with us. I just think if we're going to be moving him into the secondary, we need to draft another linebacker to at least compete with Chillar and/or provide depth.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast