Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: With the 93rd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Dominique Byrd, TE, USC

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    I like the fact that the coaching staff haven't sat on their hands because we drafted Klopfenstein.
    What I'd like to know, is whether the idea of trading away a draft pick to pick up another TE after taking a jump in the 2nd round really was the coaching staff's idea or did it come out of the FO and the so-called personnel department?

Since losing Conwell, the Rams have repeatedly tried drafting TEs - like taking 2 in '03 with Curley and Angulo and then Jensen and Collins in successive years. The scouts have clearly not had a clue about what will make a successful TE for the Rams.

I think they're were bigger needs then selecting another TE so early on. Wedge smashers on STs, more secondary help, more LB competition, some DEs ...

Another TE? Worth trading up and away so soon after investing a higher signing bonus for Klopfenstein? If this was Linehan's decision exclusively I'll give him the benefit of doubt that he has something in mind. I'm afraid, however, that the FO's ugly drafting head reared itself again ... and that would play into the perception that the dysfunction has yet to be completely eradicated ...

addendum - May 3, 2006 - Of course the question still stands ... did Byrd get on Linehan's radar because of Linehan's scouting or was he just the best available based on a list that the personnel department compiled?

As Thomas' article underscored, the previous structure is still intact. And if that is true last year an article reported that much of draft charting is actually contracted out to a 3rd party. I'll give Linehan the benefit of doubt, I'm not prepared to do that at the moment for the FO.

Changing the coach staff doesn't absolve the FO of its own culpability. The prior scouting structure hasn't produced any TE contribution except for Angulos' blocked kick. Doesn't matter where they are selected, identifying talent hasn't been a strong suit.

The only way Hill will work out is if Bartell works out also as the tall, strong CB able to blanket the Boldins, Owens and Burresses of the league. Like the cliche goes, its not the size of the dog but the size of the fight in the dog.

Time will quickly tell whether Hill's lack of size is irrelevant ...
    Last edited by adarian_too; -05-03-2006 at 06:12 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: With the 93rd overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Dominique Byrd, TE, USC

Guess there was more to the plan, huh? Manu gone, a great DE prospect in the fold! Nicely done!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

like the manu trade that brings us a good DE prospect and some salary cap relief... anyone know how much were gonna shave off our salary cap with this move

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

It seems that Linehan planned to trade Manu, so that is why he drafted 2 high-upside TE's.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Good-Riddance to Manu's Lazy ash. He brought this on himself. I read that he refused to participate in the off-season conditioning program, and heard he was disinterested in meeting with the new coaches.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Since losing Conway, the Rams have repeatedly tried drafting TEs - like taking 2 in '03 with Curley and Angulo and then Jensen and Collins in successive years. The scouts have clearly not had a clue about what will make a successful TE for the Rams.
    I'd be the last one to stick up for the conduct of our F.O and their approach to recent drafts, but it could be argued that their failure to get this position right, along with the addition of a coach who actually likes to use the position, meant that this was the right move.

Added to which, I think I'm right in saying that all of the guys you mentioned previously were second day picks, who ordinarily can't be counted on as starter material.

Early indications are that both are intended to see reasonable amounts of playing time as they are seen as complimentary players. You'd expect that of 2nd and 3rd rounders however.

It was a decisive move and was underlined by the Manu trade that enabled us to land a good prospect in the 4th.

I can't fault their approach to this draft, outside of Hill being a tad small.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123