Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: Aaaaaaargh!!! STOP IT! STOP IT!!! STOP STOP STOP IT!!!

Why should this year be any different?

There are some signatures on these boards that include pictures of the hottest draft prospects along with a question mark, so presumably some sort of speculation is acceptable?

How is it possible to talk about the draft in anything other than hypotheticals before the event?

It isn't.

Rule out any kind of guessing from these boards on subjects ranging from the draft to gameday and the content would suffer. In quantity at least

The Rams themselves have no idea who they're going to choose until the moment actually arrives and even then they'll take their time.

So until, then, turn the caps lock off, take a deep breath and let people debate what they want for as long as they want.

After all, that's why we're here.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Oh, that would be just great for my blood pressure. What are you trying to do, kill me?
    Oops. In your case Randy, take everything you hear about the draft with a big grain of Mrs. Dash.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Why should this year be any different?

There are some signatures on these boards that include pictures of the hottest draft prospects along with a question mark, so presumably some sort of speculation is acceptable?

How is it possible to talk about the draft in anything other than hypotheticals before the event?

It isn't.

Rule out any kind of guessing from these boards on subjects ranging from the draft to gameday and the content would suffer. In quantity at least

The Rams themselves have no idea who they're going to choose until the moment actually arrives and even then they'll take their time.

So until, then, turn the caps lock off, take a deep breath and let people debate what they want for as long as they want.

After all, that's why we're here.
    They may not know but I hope they have narrow it down to 2 players and depending on the Dolphins pick they would have done their homework and will be ready to roll with whomwever that may beeeeee.....

general counsel is offline Registered User

the great thing about the way this board works is that if anyone is tired of any type of thread, they dont have to read it. I agree there is a lot of redundancy in the debates, but it is that time of year and given how high up we are picking, the possiblities are a LOT more narrow than in years past.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A lot of you seem to be missing the point here.

There's nothing wrong with speculating IF YOU SAY YOU ARE SPECULATING.

The thing that annoys me is when some sportswriter speculates, but presents it as fact - i.e. "Darren McFadden IS at the top of the Rams' draft board." (Like Adam Schefter can call up Bill Devaney and say, "Hey, Bill, could you fax me a copy of your draft board" and Bill will say "sure, what's your number.")

What is even worse is when some fan quotes the sportswriter as if he is a source of information, as opposed to a source of speculation.

Maybe they should move the draft to early March.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

The thing that annoys me is when some sportswriter speculates, but presents it as fact - i.e. "Darren McFadden IS at the top of the Rams' draft board." (Like Adam Schefter can call up Bill Devaney and say, "Hey, Bill, could you fax me a copy of your draft board" and Bill will say "sure, what's your number.")

What is even worse is when some fan quotes the sportswriter as if he is a source of information, as opposed to a source of speculation.

Maybe they should move the draft to early March.
    I can sympathize. Not only for those points, but also it seems like every day these writers come out with a new favorite of the Rams. One day it's Chris Long, the next it's Glenn Dorsey, then we hear Vernon Gholston is "rising on their boards" and of course we all know everyone on the Rams staff has fallen in love with Jake Long. Thank gawd there's only a week of this left.

Then we get to see everyone give out their super-speculative draft grades. Will people say we got a C+, D-, B or even an A+? Gosh, the suspense is killing me.

:l

-jake-
    Last edited by evil disco man; -04-21-2008 at 12:24 AM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    I can sympathize. Not only for those points, but also it seems like every day these writers come out with a new favorite of the Rams. One day it's Chris Long, the next it's Glenn Dorsey, then we hear Vernon Gholston is "rising on their boards" and of course we all know everyone on the Rams staff has fallen in love with Jake Long. Thank gawd there's only a week of this left.
    Somewhere Bill Devaney is reveling in his handywork.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I find the whole exercise pretty tedious if I'm being honest. The plethora of mock drafts drive me round the twist and they seem to sart appearing almost as soon as the season finishes. The other thing that grates is the way we start to see 'Madden' trades; the trades that occur only in someone's feverish fantasy.

I guess that its almost become a tradition though and like the unofficial 'official' pronoucements on the who the Rams 'will definitely' pick, I just write it all off as part of the draft experience. The AV-inspired 'Johnson to the Rams' gag was perfect proof of how the whole process has a touch of hysteria about it.

Draft day itself I something that holds my attention and I particularly like the stories behind the pick. I'll look at each of the picks in turn and refer back to my draft guide to get an idea of where we've ended up. I suppose I'm a bit of an anorak in the fact that I do like scouting guides, where measurables along with an informed opinion on a player are more the standard currency.

Maybe we're just seeing more of these kinds of posts because we're picking second this time around but they can at least serve as discussion points,if only to say how much we can't stand them.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

It's always been this way. I don't find it annoying because it's obvious that none of these guys know what any team is really thinking. It's just part of the pre-draft experience.....I mean circus. You need to relax and enjoy it and not take it too seriously.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The draft has more spin to it than an Obama/Clinton debate. I even think the teams call these people one day and say "Dorsey", then Tuesday "Chris Long", then Wednesday "Jake Long".....My point is this: I don't think the Rams even have a top of the board. I mean, they haven't even decided on where training camp is going to be so does anyone really believe that the Rams know who they are going to take on Saturday?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by harry
    I don't find it annoying because it's obvious that none of these guys know what any team is really thinking.
    But harry, that's the point.........to some fans the obvious speculative nature is not apparent. And who could blame those fans, when the "reporters" present speculative content in a factual wrapper?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Out of all of the players in the draft how do we know its down too four players? It's not that they know who the Rams will take, but IMO don't think they are guessing. I don't think sport writers can make a call and get the pick from an insider. How can anyone know who the Rams are taking when Miami picks first, unless they know who they are taking and so on and so on. All one can do is line up needs with the best players, thats it. and even then a team can throw you a change up. Miami Dolphins Ted Ginn

thoey is offline Registered User

<BEGIN THREADJACK>

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    The draft has more spin to it than an Obama/Clinton debate.
    At least with the draft we know that there are the Top Four picks that we would all love to have any of as a Ram...

<END THREADJACK>

As to this thread, it sounds like a repeat of one AR created last year. And it sounded like a repeat of the one he created the year before.

I think AR just needs to schedule a vacation the week before the draft...

This space for rent...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12