Thread: Aaron Schobel

stl7 is offline Registered User

Aaron Schobel

The bills just released schobel and he had 10sacks last season playing LB/DE. I dont know why they released him but it seems the rams could use even half that production this year. He is 32 but could serve as a mentor as well for the young DEs we have. Anybody have more information on this?

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Aaron Schobel

After 9 years with the Bills I don't think he's gonna want to see out his last fews years at the Rams. I thought he was going to retire anyway?

msha is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    After 9 years with the Bills I don't think he's gonna want to see out his last fews years at the Rams. I thought he was going to retire anyway?
    He says he wants 1 more year if he finds the right team, but if a good opportunity doesn't come up, he will retire.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Could Texans be in Schobel’s future?
    DE says team would be good fit if he decides to play and gets release from Bills
    By JOHN McCLAIN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    Aug. 2, 2010, 9:25PM

If Buffalo defensive end Aaron Schobel decides to play a 10th season and gains his release from the Bills, Houston is his destination of choice.

The Bills said Monday that Schobel’s career in Buffalo is over and, if he elects to come out of retirement, they would try to trade him rather than release him. But Schobel’s base salary is $8 million this season, and a trade is unlikely.

“If I were a free agent and I could choose a team, it would be the Texans, without a doubt,” Schobel, 32, said Monday from his home in Columbus.

Schobel, who had 10 sacks in 2009, grew up in Columbus, about 70 miles west of Houston, and has a ranch there. With the Texans, he would be reunited with assistant head coach/defensive line Bill Kollar, his defensive line coach in Buffalo.

“I know Bill, and I know the scheme,” Schobel said. “I know the verbiage. It’s an hour from my hometown.

“And the Texans have a chance to be real good. They’d make the most sense. Houston would be the best spot for me.”

The Texans, who can’t comment because Schobel still is under contract to the Bills, don’t need a starting defensive end. They have Mario Williams and Antonio Smith. Connor Barwin comes off the bench in passing situations.

Schobel, who is second to Bruce Smith on the Bills’ career sack list, had one more sack than Williams last season.

The Bills changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme under first-year coach Chan Gailey. Schobel told them he might retire and did not report to camp.

“He will stay on the reserved

did not report list until he makes a decision on whether he’s retiring or if he might want to play somewhere else,” Bills general manager Buddy Nix told reporters Monday.

The Bills don’t want to give Schobel away without getting something in return, so they will try to trade him if he elects to play another season. His salary likely would hinder a trade, and it would be only a matter of time before he became a free agent.

“I couldn’t decide what I wanted to do,” Schobel said. “I was going back and forth about whether I wanted to play or not. They made my decision easy for me. I understand it’s a business, and they’re rebuilding. I have no timetable. I have to see what my options are. The next step, I guess, is for me to decide if I want to play, and we’ll go from there.”
    I wouldn't count on him coming to St. Louis...

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I really like Schobel, but it is doubtful that he jumps from one losing team to another to end out his career.