Mooselini Guest

About the CAP salary...

Ok, I understand we have a 9 million dollar cap salary...

With that what are we able to do? We have to resign our players, we must sign our draft picks and maybe even a free agent.

What are our restrictions and what can we do with this much money? I'm not sure if we can do TOO much with this kind of salary.

Anyone have input on this?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: About the CAP salary...

The cap will increase after the season. Players salaries go up, and therefore the salary cap does too. This will guarantee us more than 9m to wheel and deal with.

Traditionally, you look at around 6m (if my memory serves me correctly) in cap space to wrap up your draft picks. Therefore, you're looking at signing free agents, Chillar and Atogwe (Who is a Restricted Free Agent, and therefore can only sign a one year tender--meaning he shouldn't count too heavily against the cap).

That said, I think we could have a good time of it this offseason, WITHOUT a "blue chip" Free Agent.

If we came away from free agency with an offensive lineman like Stacy Andrews or Jacob Bell, Chillar, Atogwe, and a stong safety like Ken Hamlin, Gibril Wilson or Erik Coleman, I could see us set up to have a good year. That would mean we'd have to target a DE early in the draft, and could secure depth along the OL in round 2 or round 3, using the other pick to target a speed WR.